Job might postpone cruise...but might not.

Sarah@Sea

I'm currently job searching, I've had a couple interviews in the past month for temp positions with a company I very much want to work for and a temp position would be a great way to get my foot in the door for a permanent position.

I have a cruise booked for September. ES rate. Final payment is due in a couple of weeks. I know that up until final payment is due I can apply the deposit to a new booking and pay a $50 pp fee. After final payment I'm pretty much screwed. But at this point I still wouldn't know what dates to even rebook for???

If offered a job I would inquire about having time off for the trip...at least ask...if they said no way then I take the hit...I'd just really like to know before my final payment...also it's temp...so how long...it could end before my cruise???

Trust me...I know a job means more $$$ for future cruises. =) It's just nerve racking right now.

If offered a job I would inquire about having time off for the trip...at least ask...if they said no way then I take the hit...I'd just really like to know before my final payment...also it's temp...so how long...it could end before my cruise???

You can do what I did for my upcoming cruise. Take insurance which includes a "Cancel For Work Reasons" clause.

We got our insurance policy from Travel Guard (Gold). Total cost per person for a 7 night cruise was around $25.

If I'm unable to go on my cruise because I'm required to work, I will need a notarized letter from my employer confirming this and I get a full refund! :)

Do you have trip insurance? Mine covers "cancel for work reasons" and would come in handy in this type of situation. Just something to check out. Whatever you decide to do, good luck w/ the job search, and BETTER luck w/ your cruise! :)

ETA: oops, should have scrolled all the way down the page... good info here! :)

You can do what I did for my upcoming cruise. Take insurance which includes a "Cancel For Work Reasons" clause.

We got our insurance policy from Travel Guard (Gold). Total cost per person for a 7 night cruise was around $25.

If I'm unable to go on my cruise because I'm required to work, I will need a notarized letter from my employer confirming this and I get a full refund! :)

the only issue here is if the OP knows before final payment she is just out $50 pp, that's all the is covered, the $50. You cant claim the rest of the deposit is lost when its a future credit...in the OP's name.

the only issue here is if the OP knows before final payment she is just out $50 pp, that's all the is covered, the $50. You cant claim the rest of the deposit is lost when its a future credit...in the OP's name.

I'm booked under interline, so the rules for my booking are a bit different.

Let me ask you this. If the OP is booked under ES, and in mid august she finds out that she won't be able to go on her september cruise because of work issues and she cancels, Won't she be penalized (the deposit will be lost , and not become a future cruise credit, correct)? Shouldn't the travel insurance cover the penalized amount in that situation?

If you cancel, you have 2 years from the date you cancel to use the credit that Carnival will hold in your name from the rest of the deposit (after the $50).

Ah, I thought I'd have to pick a date right away and rebook...thanks!

Thanks, all I've seen was for illness or loss of job...lol.

Thanks, all I've seen was for illness or loss of job...lol.

If you go to www . insuremytrip . com, you can compare policies side by side on a chart format. Some will have a "Cancel for Work Reasons" clause, some will not.

I HIGHLY recommend that you read the fine print because the definition of "Cancel For Work Reasons" varies from one policy to another. Some policies cover you if you loose your current job. Some cover you if your previously awarded vacation is cancelled. Finally, some policies will cover you if you can't go on the cruise if you're required to work, but you will be required to produce a notarized verification from your employer.

I chose Travel Guard Gold because it allows me to cancel if I'm required to work with the notarized verification. In my case, my company may promote me between now and the cruise date, in which case I will need to be in training for the new position instead of enjoying a frosty drink on the lido deck...:rolleyes:

Ok I'm looking at some policies and it states for the work related coverage the plan must be bought within 15 days of initial payment...so I'm past that right? Initial payment is the deposit???

Yea the day you booked. Im thinking buying a policy to cover a job you are being offered now wouldnt work anyway.

If you cancel within 75 days of sailing, you LOSE everything. 75 days is before final payment is due.

So you DO NOT have until final payment to cancel and have a credit. '

You do have up until 75 days before sailing to get a credit. Under 75 days is NO credit and a forfeit of the entire deposit.

It's in the cruise ticket contract.

Yea the day you booked. Im thinking buying a policy to cover a job you are being offered now wouldnt work anyway.

And the insurance is about $50 or more...so I guess I could cancel, take the $50 hit and if I'm not working..then hey maybe the rate will be low in September??? Idk...will figure it out.

Here are cancellation terms... ES is exactly the same as any other rate once you hit final payment. The terms depend on the length of your cruise. Not every cruise is 75 days and under etc.

What is the cruise cancellation policy?

Cruise Cancellation Policy:

Length of Cruise Days Prior to Sailing Departure Charge (Per Guest)

2, 3, 4, and 5 day cruises Up to 61 days None (except for Cruise-To-Nowhere and Early Saver Fares*)

60 to 46 days Deposit^

45 to 30 days 50% of Total Fare

29 to 15 days 75% of Total Fare

7 days or less 100% of Total Fare

6, 7 and 8 day cruises Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 46 days Deposit

29 to 8 days 75% of Total Fare

7 days or less 100% of total Fare

Alaska cruises, CruiseTours

and 10 day or longer cruises Up to 76 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

75 to 46 days Deposit

4 days or less 100% of Total Fare

12 & 16 day Europe Cruises,14, 17 Up to 91 days None (except for Early Saver Fares*)

& 18 day South America Cruises 90 to 56 days Deposit

and 14 day Panama Canal Cruise 55 to 30 days 50% of Total Fare

14 days or less 100% of Total Fare

Total Fare is defined as Cruise Fare, Air Fare Supplement, Transfer Services and Pre-/Post-Cruise Vacation Packages.

*The deposit is non-refundable.

^For Cruises-To-Nowhere, the cancellation charge is 25% of the total fare.

Government fees/taxes are excluded from cancellation penalties.

If you cancel within 75 days of sailing, you LOSE everything. 75 days is before final payment is due.

You do have up until 75 days before sailing to get a credit. Under 75 days is NO credit and a forfeit of the entire deposit.

Looks to me like OP's 9-6-10 Destiny is a 5 day cruise, so its anything under 60 days, not 75 .. so OP has a little more time.

Ok I'm looking at some policies and it states for the work related coverage the plan must be bought within 15 days of initial payment...so I'm past that right? Initial payment is the deposit???

Some coverages do require that you purchase within 15 days of initial payment. For example, Cancel for ANY Reason coverage, as well as some medical coverage (involving pre-existing conditions). However, Cancel for Work Reasons coverage doesn't require in most cases that you get the insurance within 15 days of initial deposit.

When I got my policy (40 days after my initial payment), I was still elegible for Cancel for Work Reasons coverage, but not for Cancel for Any Reason coverage.

I just re-read my policy to verify, just in case...! :o

Sarah: Although I really hope things work out exactly as you need them to for the job offer . . . I also sincerely hope I still get to meet you onboard Carnival Destiny. :) :)

Thanks Don, I'm wondering if I'm lucky enough to ask them for time off for the trip (even if unpaid given I'd have no benefits) and they would say sure...go...I mean it could happen...right? ;)

I'm currently job searching, I've had a couple interviews in the past month for temp positions with a company I very much want to work for and a temp position would be a great way to get my foot in the door for a permanent position.

I have a cruise booked for September. ES rate. Final payment is due in a couple of weeks. I know that up until final payment is due I can apply the deposit to a new booking and pay a $50 pp fee. After final payment I'm pretty much screwed. But at this point I still wouldn't know what dates to even rebook for???

Trust me...I know a job means more $$$ for future cruises. =) It's just nerve racking right now.

It could work out for you !! Hubby was offered a job (though he had a good job at the time) and we had already made plans for a getaway, wasnt a cruise, but a week away that we had already paid for..He took the higher job, told them that we had already had planed our vacation and they said no problem they went so far as to put him on the payroll, and his other company owed him 10 weeks of vacation, so he was double dipping, which was legal all the way around...so short story, you never know what could happen!! Have fun on the cruise either the one you already booked or the one that you will take :)

Here is how I would do it. After a good discussion during your interview, just tell them up front that you have a booked cruise for september. They would appreciate your candid honesty...you have nothing to lose at this point, right? If they say no, then the place may not have been what you would've expected.

Here is how I would do it. After a good discussion during your interview, just tell them up front that you have a booked cruise for september. They would appreciate your candid honesty...you have nothing to lose at this point, right? If they say no, then the place may not have been what you would've expected.

Or it might be some place you want to work and for go the cruise. As much as I love cruising and would give anything to do it I PERSONALY would not give up employment to cruise. Some time you have to suck it up and make a long term choice rather than a short term enjoyment - after all it is only 1 week compared to years.

Some coverages do require that you purchase within 15 days of initial payment. For example, Cancel for ANY Reason coverage, as well as some medical coverage (involving pre-existing conditions). However, Cancel for Work Reasons coverage doesn't require in most cases that you get the insurance within 15 days of initial deposit.

When I got my policy (40 days after my initial payment), I was still elegible for Cancel for Work Reasons coverage, but not for Cancel for Any Reason coverage.

I just re-read my policy to verify, just in case...! :o

TravelGuard Gold shows Cancel for Work Reasons as an additional premium option (about 50%) that has to be purchased w/in 15 days of deposit, on the TravelGuard site and the InsureMyTrip sites???? ken

I thought the beginning of the Cancellation period IS the Final Payment date - 75 days for 7 day cruises and 60 days for shorter cruises??

ken

I can tell you right now that I would not be hiring you and even though I would seem like I really cared, I would make up some excuse to let you know later if you got the job.Not!!

When I had a position I needed to fill,it was because I needed to fill it and not have to worry abour covering it again 3 months down the road.

I only had a small company with 35 employee's but vacation always made it hard on us and the biggest issue was someone always ended up with overtime because of covering which costed me money.

Lastly, what type of person who is unemployed takes a cruise? someone who does not need the job or someone who has no responsibility?Pick one?:p:D

Steve

Archived