Are shorts and jeans really the norm in the dining room?

gslargent

I haven't been on a cruise since 2007, but will be going on my 8th Carnival cruise in two weeks on the Dream (once with RCL in 2006). Has the dress code been relaxed on non-formal nights? I remember wearing slacks/khaki pants and a polo/golf shirt in the past. But now I see that Carnival's web site states "Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts".

Do a lot of people wear jeans or shorts in the main dining room? I'm trying to pack light and wearing shorts to dinner would save me packing space and prevent the trip back to the room after dinner to change.

I haven't been on a cruise since 2007, but will be going on my 8th Carnival cruise in two weeks on the Dream (once with RCL in 2006). Has the dress code been relaxed on non-formal nights? I remember wearing slacks/khaki pants and a polo/golf shirt in the past. But now I see that Carnival's web site states "Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts".

Do a lot of people wear jeans or shorts in the main dining room? I'm trying to pack light and wearing shorts to dinner would save me packing space and prevent the trip back to the room after dinner to change.

No shorts in the dining room and we have seen it sporadically enforced. Of course, you will always see people who have no idea of etiquette, and they don't actually fight with them about it, but the majority know how to properly dress for the dining room. Khaki pants and even very nice jeans are worn in the dining room by most people and are still fine. They really seems to draw the line at shorts or men's shirts without sleeves - tank tops (they get the most negative attention)

Yes and no. Shorts and jeans are very popular with the under-40 crowd. Some more mature folks take exception to shorts and jeans and stick with khakis. I prefer shorts or jeans on regular nights.

On the Miracle in April one would see shorts or jeans at breakfast, or even lunch, in the MDR...but not at dinner. Men were wearing alot of khaki's, tommy bahama shirts or golf shirts. Women in resort casual slacks or a simple dress. This was a really classy group!

The website says khakis and dress shorts are fine on non elegant nights. So I say go ahead and wear them! I will pmore than likely be in pants and polo shirt, but would not be offended by nice shorts and shirt.

More and more you see shorts and flip flops in the MDR. I don't notice it so much on elegant night, but they never seem to turn anyone away.

I would go ahead and pack a pair of khakis. Last week on the Dream I wore either khaki pants or convertible pants (highly recommended) every night, and would have felt under-dressed compared to a) some other guests and b) my wife if I had worn shorts. Also, you'll need the pants if you want to do either elegant night(s) in the dining room or the steakhouse (also highly recommended).

If it says it's okay in Carnival's FAQ then it is okay. As you can tell from the few comments so far there are three schools of thought - the old school who refuse to acknowledge that things have changed and there are new dress codes whether they like it or not and the new school who like the changes and dress accordingly. Then there is one more school who don't care what the rules are and will wear whatever they want because it is their vacation and they paid to do whatever they want.

They are allowed on non elegant nights so you are free to wear them if you'd like. Like others though on the cruises I've been on shorts are not the norm and if feeling underdressed would bother you, you may not be comfortable. You'll have to decide on that.

On our last cruise I shorts and jeans were the norm on regular nights.

That's what my husband and son will wear again on our upcoming cruise.

If it's allowed... well it's allowed.;)

I would wear whatever is most comfortable for you.

Haven't cruised in 1 1/2 years, but we never saw men with shorts on the dining room.....so, things have changed. My DH always wears pants, but if Carnival is now allowing shorts, then he would love to wear those! He does always wear golf shirts or nice dress shirts (tropical prints of course)!:) I always wear a dress or dress pants with nice tops. We just like to feel good while eating in such a beautiful room!:p

One thing they always announce that is not allowed are baseball caps! The usually also announce that on the dressier nights no shorts are allowed. Like one poster said, this is enforced only sporadically.

If you are talking about nice shorts you will not have a problem wearing them in to dinner on the regular nights. If you are talking about short-shorts, or ones that are ripped and torn - you may have a problem.

Seeing shorts does not bother me - seeing someone dressed like a slob does. You can be comfortable, and still be presentable, without stressing over what to wear.

Norm? I don't know. But I am seeing more and more the wearing of jeans and shorts each cruise. And that includes the so called "elegant" night. Enforcement is spotty at best. Personally I don't care what anyone wears. It has no effect on my cruise what so ever.

I wore shorts on all non-elegant nights on my last 2 cruises

and I would say about 30% of the people had on dress shorts

and a polo type shirt... people get really hung up on the dress code

but if Carnival says it's ok to wear shorts, then I say go for it...

It is a 5 star dining experience. You are eatting on china and it is a 5 course meal. If you want to wear shorts you can do so. I quess I am the old school what happened to wanting to look nice???? To me shorts and tshirts are for daytime on ship. It is not the kind of dining experience I would feel appropriately dressed in shorts but many will.

You also have to keep in mind the people on each sailing will be different so you might have a more casual crowd on one and a very dressy crowd on another. There's no way to predict how many people will be wearing shorts to dinner on your particular cruise so it's best to decide what you are comfortable in and stick with that as long as it's within the guidelines.

Does anyone have a picture they can share as to what are dress shorts for men? I've seen very nice women's shorts and skorts, but I cannot picture dress shorts for men.

http://www.landsend.com/ix/mens-clothing/Men/Shorts-Swim/Shorts/Assortments=Sale/index.html?seq=1~2~4~5~3&catNumbers=1~542~543&visible=1~2~1~1~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&pageSize=12&merchAsId=19&tab=1&cm_re=Tab-_-M-_-F-_-061610

Check the styling, not the pricing. You can usually hit up Old Navy or even Wal-Mart and get similar styles for a lot less.

No, they do not allow shorts in the dining room for anyone. Actually, they do not allow shorts after 6p.m. but they are still not very strict about that. But just as long as you do not wear them in the dining room. :)

Archived