Are shorts and jeans really the norm in the dining room?

gslargent

It is a 5 star dining experience. You are eatting on china and it is a 5 course meal. If you want to wear shorts you can do so. I quess I am the old school what happened to wanting to look nice???? To me shorts and tshirts are for daytime on ship. It is not the kind of dining experience I would feel appropriately dressed in shorts but many will.

I couldn't agree more! :)

I know some people have the attitude that it's "their vacation and they can do anything they want to because they paid for it". But, let's face it, just because someone CAN do something doesn't make it right or proper to do it. With their attitudes, because they paid for their vacation, if people wanted to, they can lick their plates clean, pick their noses at the table, belch and fart. I wouldn't want to see THAT in the MDR either!!

No, they do not allow shorts in the dining room for anyone. Actually, they do not allow shorts after 6p.m. but they are still not very strict about that. But just as long as you do not wear them in the dining room. :)

You are incorrect.

To quote the CCL website (http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress):

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

No. It is not.

On some cruise lines, it may be. You really never know. There might be some of the more luxurious cruise lines that make it a 5 star dining experience. And even on the regular cruise lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norweigan) that still make it a nice, enjoyable experience. They have the waiters/waitresses do a small performance on one night of the cruise, and they have nice meals and you have to dress nice and formal on one night so at the least it is a 4 star experience, if not a 5 star experience. :)

I couldn't agree more! :)

I know some people have the attitude that it's "their vacation and they can do anything they want to because they paid for it". But, let's face it, just because someone CAN do something doesn't make it right or proper to do it. With their attitudes, because they paid for their vacation, if people wanted to, they can lick their plates clean, pick their noses at the table, belch and fart. I wouldn't want to see THAT in the MDR either!!

I disagree. It is not a 5 star dining experience. It is not even close. If they wanted to present a 5 star dining experience, I would dress accordingly. But since they offer a 3 star dining experience with a dash of diner theatre thrown in there, I will dress accordingly ... and I feel CCL's dress code for the MDR reflects this same attitude rather well.

Having eaten in several 5 star establishments in Europe and the States, I can state that is is NOT 5 star dining. Even the Steakhouse is 4 at best.

Shorts and jeans are permitted on certain nights. Wear what makes you comfy. Those that want to dress up go for it!

On some cruise lines, it may be.

It is on CCL, which is the line in question. It is also acceptable on NCL.

You really never know.

You can usually find out with a modicum of research.

There might be some of the more luxurious cruise lines that make it a 5 star dining experience. And even on the regular cruise lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norweigan) that still make it a nice, enjoyable experience. They have the waiters/waitresses do a small performance on one night of the cruise, and they have nice meals and you have to dress nice and formal on one night so at the least it is a 4 star experience, if not a 5 star experience. :)

I've eaten at 4 and 5 star restaurants. None of them have a waiter parade to Buster Poindexter's "Hot, Hot, Hot" that invites the diners to join in. All of them served much better food and offered better service. The closest CCL comes to a 5 star experience is their Chef's Table program, which seems to be very close to ordering a tasting menu at a 4 or 5 star restaurant. But, the MDR is not a 4 or 5 star experience. Most Americans do not know what a 4 or 5 star experience as they have neither the pallete nor the patience to sit through one.

I disagree. It is not a 5 star dining experience. It is not even close. If they wanted to present a 5 star dining experience, I would dress accordingly. But since they offer a 3 star dining experience with a dash of diner theatre thrown in there, I will dress accordingly ... and I feel CCL's dress code for the MDR reflects this same attitude rather well.

I agree. It is a 3 star dining experience and Carnival has relaxed their dress code to reflect just that. Carnival is not trying to make it more than it is so why others? If a person wants a 5 star dining experience on a cruise, then they should sail on a cruiseline that has a 5 star dress code. They will have a better chance of getting that 5 star dining experience then.

Another thing is that you don't want to take shorts and jeans to wear to dinner, then be unprepared when they tell you, you can't wear that to dinner in the main dining room. Then you are stuck to buy things either, on the ship, or in port. Or you would not be able to eat in the main dining room because you don't want to buy anything and you are stuck with nothing else to wear in for dinner. But you could always go to the windjammer for dinner, lunch and breakfast. You are not restricted to the main dining room for dinner. But also, if you are on a larger ship, you can go to some of the other resturants. :)

I agree. It is a 3 star dining experience and Carnival has relaxed their dress code to reflect just that. Carnival is not trying to make it more than it is so why others? If a person wants a 5 star dining experience on a cruise, then they should sail on a cruiseline that has a 5 star dress code. They will have a better chance of getting that 5 star dining experience then.

Well, just because "it is not a 5 star dining experience" doesn't mean that you couldn't dress like it. You can wear a 5 star diner attire to a 3 star dining experience if you would like but it is not like you are stuck always wearing 3 star dining experience attire. :)

Another thing is that you don't want to take shorts and jeans to wear to dinner, then be unprepared when they tell you, you can't wear that to dinner in the main dining room. Then you are stuck to buy things either, on the ship, or in port. Or you would not be able to eat in the main dining room because you don't want to buy anything and you are stuck with nothing else to wear in for dinner. But you could always go to the windjammer for dinner, lunch and breakfast. You are not restricted to the main dining room for dinner. But also, if you are on a larger ship, you can go to some of the other resturants. :)

You are NOT speaking of Carnival. :rolleyes:

Another thing is that you don't want to take shorts and jeans to wear to dinner, then be unprepared when they tell you, you can't wear that to dinner in the main dining room.

Embug, please read the information on this link:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress

This is CCL's dress code. It is clear that you can wear shorts or jeans on non-Elegant, aka Casual, Nights. This is a non-issue.

Another thing is that you don't want to take shorts and jeans to wear to dinner, then be unprepared when they tell you, you can't wear that to dinner in the main dining room.

those are only restricted on elegant nights.

Well, just because "it is not a 5 star dining experience" doesn't mean that you couldn't dress like it. You can wear a 5 star diner attire to a 3 star dining experience if you would like but it is not like you are stuck always wearing 3 star dining experience attire. :)

But I don't have to, so why should I? Just because you want me to isn't a good enough reason. You don't set the dress code, you don't make the rules. You aren't the Maitre D'. CCL says I can wear shorts, so I will wear shorts if I feel like it. If you don't like it, feel free to let CCL know so.

But I don't have to dress like it is a 5 star dining experience when it is not. Carnival's Dress Code allows you to dress for a 3 star dining experience and that is what we do. If you want to dress like it is a 5 star restaurant, go ahead. The Carnival Dress Code allows you to do that too. But be aware that others will not necessarily be dressed to your 5 star standards as it is not a 5 star venue.:rolleyes:

We just got off of the Victory on Father's Day. My son, husband, and dad wore shorts and polo type shirts every non-elegant night in the MDR. They got no funny looks and did not look out of place at all. The guy at the table behind us wore jeans every night even on Elegant nights. There is such a wide variety of clothing in the MDR that I would say if it is allowed by Carnival, you can get by with it.

But I don't have to, so why should I? Just because you want me to isn't a good enough reason. You don't set the dress code, you don't make the rules. You aren't the Maitre D'. CCL says I can wear shorts, so I will wear shorts if I feel like it. If you don't like it, feel free to let CCL know so.

Well put LemurCat....:)

As long as we are following the dress code, why do other's feel the need to criticize? If someone has a problem with Carnival's dress code, take it up with Carnival, not the people following it.:confused:

It is on CCL, which is the line in question. It is also acceptable on NCL.

You can usually find out with a modicum of research.

I've eaten at 4 and 5 star restaurants. None of them have a waiter parade to Buster Poindexter's "Hot, Hot, Hot" that invites the diners to join in. All of them served much better food and offered better service. The closest CCL comes to a 5 star experience is their Chef's Table program, which seems to be very close to ordering a tasting menu at a 4 or 5 star restaurant. But, the MDR is not a 4 or 5 star experience. Most Americans do not know what a 4 or 5 star experience as they have neither the pallete nor the patience to sit through one.

Well just because you don't like the meals doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't either. And yes, Carnival has a lesser standard for the formal dining room than others but that doesn't mean that the others don't. I enjoy the food. And I have also been to a 5 star resturant and the food is about the same and no they don't have the show but on a cruise it is all about the enjoyment. So they do a show to enjoy it not to criticize and be a rude and say that it is not a 5 star dining experience when it isn't really about that, it is about enjoying it, and having fun. I mean, you could go on a cruise and just criticize what is wrong and what they need to fix the whole time, which is pretty much what you are saying. :) Thanks.

Well then maybe you should go ahead and do that. I really could care less what you wear to dinner. I will wear what the dress code says, and you can wear shorts. Thanks! :)

Wow, what a debate I started! I'm almost afraid that I'll get food thrown at me if I wear shorts in the dining room. I think that I'll bring 1-2 pairs of slacks for dinner and then play it by ear. Of course, I'll have my suit for the formal nights.

It is a 5 star dining experience. You are eatting on china and it is a 5 course meal. If you want to wear shorts you can do so. I quess I am the old school what happened to wanting to look nice???? To me shorts and tshirts are for daytime on ship. It is not the kind of dining experience I would feel appropriately dressed in shorts but many will.

It is not even close to 5 star dining. You must not get out often. The MDR is like a wedding banquet, with food made in advance. I have never seen waiters dancing with fruit and drinks on their heads in a conga line, dancing on tables, pirates taking your picture at dinner, etc at Mortons or Ruth Chris.

Possibly 5 star on a scale of 1-10

Wow, what a debate I started! I'm almost afraid that I'll get food thrown at me if I wear shorts in the dining room. I think that I'll bring 1-2 pairs of slacks for dinner and then play it by ear. Of course, I'll have my suit for the formal nights.

This is one of several topics that usually gets ugly.

Don't worry!! Take your shorts. Nobody will throw anything at you. They won't bat an eye.

Well just because you don't like the meals doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't either. And yes, Carnival has a lesser standard for the formal dining room than others but that doesn't mean that the others don't. I enjoy the food.

Where did I say I didn't enjoy the food?

And I have also been to a 5 star resturant and the food is about the same and no they don't have the show but on a cruise it is all about the enjoyment. So they do a show to enjoy it not to criticize and be a rude and say that it is not a 5 star dining experience when it isn't really about that, it is about enjoying it, and having fun.

1. I find the show less than enjoyable and demeaning to the hard-working waitstaff. I understand some of them enjoy doing it, and good for them, but I find it disruptive and severly under-cutting to your argument that it's a quality dining establishment.

2. Again, who said I don't enjoy the food?

I mean, you could go on a cruise and just criticize what is wrong and what they need to fix the whole time, which is pretty much what you are saying. :) Thanks.

No, it's not. Go back and re-read my posts. I'm saying the dresscode is appropriate to the setting, the service, and the food quality. I never said the food was bad or anything -- aside from poor analogies to 5 star dining -- is wrong. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth when you can clearly see what I posted.

Well just because you don't like the meals doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't either. And yes, Carnival has a lesser standard for the formal dining room than others but that doesn't mean that the others don't. I enjoy the food. And I have also been to a 5 star resturant and the food is about the same and no they don't have the show but on a cruise it is all about the enjoyment. So they do a show to enjoy it not to criticize and be a rude and say that it is not a 5 star dining experience when it isn't really about that, it is about enjoying it, and having fun. I mean, you could go on a cruise and just criticize what is wrong and what they need to fix the whole time, which is pretty much what you are saying. :) Thanks.

It is not a lessor standard - it is a different standard and in writing. Shorts are allowed. :)

Archived