Are shorts and jeans really the norm in the dining room?

gslargent

Well then maybe you should go ahead and do that. I really could care less what you wear to dinner. I will wear what the dress code says, and you can wear shorts. Thanks! :)

And the dress code (which has been linked to several times) says you can wear shorts, so what exactly is your point?

Well then maybe you should go ahead and do that. I really could care less what you wear to dinner. I will wear what the dress code says, and you can wear shorts. Thanks! :)

Ummmmm.....by wearing shorts (dress shorts more specifically) one would be following the dress code. :confused:

The whole point of this was to let the OP know that they would be fine to attend a regular dinner in the MDR (not elegant night) in jeans or dress shorts. It is their choice - according to Carnival.

It is not even close to 5 star dining. You must not get out often. The MDR is like a wedding banquet, with food made in advance. I have never seen waiters dancing with fruit and drinks on their heads in a conga line, dancing on tables, pirates taking your picture at dinner, etc at Mortons or Ruth Chris.

Possibly 5 star on a scale of 1-10

I also wear jeans in Morton's and Ruth's Chris. :)

Wow, what a debate I started! I'm almost afraid that I'll get food thrown at me if I wear shorts in the dining room. I think that I'll bring 1-2 pairs of slacks for dinner and then play it by ear. Of course, I'll have my suit for the formal nights.

Hardly. There are some uninformed, or worse, informed but still unbelieving posters here who think they can force their opinion down your throat as fact. As you can clearly see from the CCL website (once again ... http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress), shorts are more than appropriate for non-Elegant or Casual Nights. Go forth, be comfortable, and enjoy your time on the ship.

You are NOT speaking of Carnival. :rolleyes:

I didn't know I was supposed to be. And every cruise line has another resturant aboard the ship. I mean "the Windjammer" in a different way. It may had looked as if I was referring to Royal Caribbean but I really meant it in a term like you could go to the windjammer, or any other resturants on the ship. If it is Carnival, Norweigan, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, etc........ Thanks! :cool:

On the Miracle in April one would see shorts or jeans at breakfast, or even lunch, in the MDR...but not at dinner. Men were wearing alot of khaki's, tommy bahama shirts or golf shirts. Women in resort casual slacks or a simple dress. This was a really classy group!

It was the same on our Miracle cruise in April. I honestly don't remember seeing people inappropriately dressed in the MDR for dinner for the most part. There were a few, as you will always find in any crowd, that I felt were pushing the limits, but generally speaking, people seemed to "dress" for dinner.

I'm only 32 and this was only my 2nd cruise, the last being in 1992, however, I prefer to dress a bit for dinner. My boys and husband wore khakis each night with polos on casual nights and dress shirt/ties on Elegant Night. I wore dresses for Elegant night and casual skirts and tops on casual nights. The rest of our group dressed the same and they were all 50+.

This is rediculous...dress code states plainly that dress shorts are fine...how is there even a debate about this? I am a 28 year old male that works 5-6 days a week in an office...you can bet that i am going to wear shorts in the dining room while on vacation...and not even care if i do get bad looks about it! But i am going to look perfectly appropriate with nice khaki shorts and a button down shirt. I dont see that ANYONE should have a problem with that on casual nights.

Ummmmm.....by wearing shorts (dress shorts more specifically) one would be following the dress code. :confused:

The whole point of this was to let the OP know that they would be fine to attend a regular dinner in the MDR (not elegant night) in jeans or dress shorts. It is their choice - according to Carnival.

Well yes, that is what I am saying! You should wear what the dress code says ont he first day, and kinda go along with everyone else's attire so you wouldn't stick out. And if you on a cruise where everyone else wants to wear nicer, more formal clothes than shorts then they you should be prepared will slacks or khakis. Because you could have just booked that one cruise that there are people on that want to see others in/wear nicer, more formal clothing items than shorts. And if the staff aboard the ship see just a few people wearing shorts, then they might just stop you and maybe ask you to try to wear something a little more formal. This is because in that case, you would stick out compared to everyone else. :)

This is rediculous...dress code states plainly that dress shorts are fine...how is there even a debate about this? I am a 28 year old male that works 5-6 days a week in an office...you can bet that i am going to wear shorts in the dining room while on vacation...and not even care if i do get bad looks about it! But i am going to look perfectly appropriate with nice khaki shorts and a button down shirt. I dont see that ANYONE should have a problem with that on casual nights.

I am not saying that dress shorts are bad or anything. It is just that on some cruise lines it says that they do not like for people to wear shorts after 6p.m. but some people just can't wait to get out of their dinner attire after dinner. I am saying that.....sure you can wear shorts to dinner, but something a little more appropriate would be dress pants or khakis! GEEZ! :rolleyes:

I didn't know I was supposed to be. And every cruise line has another resturant aboard the ship. I mean "the Windjammer" in a different way. It may had looked as if I was referring to Royal Caribbean but I really meant it in a term like you could go to the windjammer, or any other resturants on the ship. If it is Carnival, Norweigan, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, etc........ Thanks! :cool:

When people ask a question on the Carnival cruise board, they usually are seeking an answer relevant to cruising on Carnival. Shorts and jeans are allowed on Carnival day and night and certainly on non-elegant nights in the main dining room. If they want to know about shopping malls and such, they would tend to post that on the Royal Caribbean board. :)

But I don't have to dress like it is a 5 star dining experience when it is not. Carnival's Dress Code allows you to dress for a 3 star dining experience and that is what we do. If you want to dress like it is a 5 star restaurant, go ahead. The Carnival Dress Code allows you to do that too. But be aware that others will not necessarily be dressed to your 5 star standards as it is not a 5 star venue.:rolleyes:

Well........... I am not saying that it is bad to wear shorts to dinner and that you can't. But I am saying that you can wear something other than shorts too. Sorry......Maybe I wasn't clear enough for some of you. :confused:

Well yes, that is what I am saying! You should wear what the dress code says ont he first day, and kinda go along with everyone else's attire so you wouldn't stick out. And if you on a cruise where everyone else wants to wear nicer, more formal clothes than shorts then they you should be prepared will slacks or khakis. Because you could have just booked that one cruise that there are people on that want to see others in/wear nicer, more formal clothing items than shorts. And if the staff aboard the ship see just a few people wearing shorts, then they might just stop you and maybe ask you to try to wear something a little more formal. This is because in that case, you would stick out compared to everyone else. :)

Who cares if you stick out? If you're comfortable and within the dress code, does it really matter? And that goes both ways ... if you're comfortable in a tux every night, go for it. If you're comfortable in shorts every Casual Night, go for it. CCL sets the dress code. It's not a case of prevailing conditions. The dress code is the dress code and provisions of it are NOT dropped just because only one or two people are at the extreme ends of it's spectrum. They don't change the rules of the game mid-way through depending on the crowd.

I had to jump in here! You keep trying to make the OP believe that the dress code doesn't allow dress shorts in the dining room when it is clearly stated on the Carnival website that it is allowed. If you feel that shorts don't meet your standards, great, but don't put down those that are comfortable with wearing shorts into the dining room. Also, quit trying to mislead the OP with incorrect information. LemurCat is giving the facts-you are creating fiction!

Pat

I am not saying that dress shorts are bad or anything. It is just that on some cruise lines it says that they do not like for people to wear shorts after 6p.m. but some people just can't wait to get out of their dinner attire after dinner. I am saying that.....sure you can wear shorts to dinner, but something a little more appropriate would be dress pants or khakis! GEEZ! :rolleyes:

We're not speaking of "some cruise lines". We're speaking specificaly about Carnival. Carnival allows shorts. Carnival has decided they are appropriate. Other cruiselines have made similar decisions regarding the appropriateness of shorts, etc. and have posted them on their websites. But since this is a Carnival forum, we are speaking specifically about Carnival.

Who cares if you stick out? If you're comfortable and within the dress code, does it really matter? And that goes both ways ... if you're comfortable in a tux every night, go for it. If you're comfortable in shorts every Casual Night, go for it. CCL sets the dress code. It's not a case of prevailing conditions. The dress code is the dress code and provisions of it are NOT dropped just because only one or two people are at the extreme ends of it's spectrum. They don't change the rules of the game mid-way through depending on the crowd.

uhhmmmmmm.........ok. I wasn't saying what you just said, I said. OK, so maybe you need to try to listen to what others are trying to say. I didn't say I was trying to "change the dress code" I was just stating that you can dress nicer if you like but some people wouldn't like to do that. And you might care if you stick out when the staff on the ship asks you to change and you have brought nothing to change into. Yes, Carnival has a dress code but they also want people to have fun and also look nice at night. All day on the cruise you are wearing shorts, or in a bathing suit and that is casual. So dressing up at night should come pretty easy. And just so you know, I am not saying don't wear shorts to dinner. I am saying that you can wear shorts but you can also wear khakis/slacks to dinner. :)

Because it is your personal preference does not make it any more or less appropriate for someone else.

Are you just making things up as you go along? 18 cruises with Carnival and I could care less what other people are wearing and for that matter, whether they like what I am wearing. Too many other important things in life to think about!

Because it is your personal preference does not make it any more or less appropriate for someone else.

I never said that it was my persona preference. I also never said that shorts are bad to wear to dinner. :)

This is getting dumber if that is possibe. If the established CCL policy is that dress shorts are acceptable than it is really as simple as that, regardless of your personal and outdated thinking.

Give it a rest.

Are you just making things up as you go along? 18 cruises with Carnival and I could care less what other people are wearing and for that matter, whether they like what I am wearing. Too many other important things in life to think about!

No, I am not making things up as I go. Are you?:) And that is just great that you don't care what people think of you! :):):)

I would love to see Carnival try to tell me that even though their Dress Code clearly states that dress shorts and jeans are allowed that I cannot wear them because no one else is....I am sorry but that is just absurd.:rolleyes:

Archived