Are shorts and jeans really the norm in the dining room?

gslargent

They absolutely allow shorts in the main dining rooms on non-elegant nights.

I have worn jeans in the main dining room every non-formal night for over 30 Carnival cruises.

I've disagreed more than agreed there my friend, but you got it in two sentences.

Bring your family over to our table on the next cruise. We will be in shorts or jeans!

... and when I said they don't like it when you wear shorts after 6p.m. i meant to post that also on a RCCL board because that is true on RC. :eek::p:D

Post the link for the actual wording of the 6pm nonsense. Do it now...

If it says it's okay in Carnival's FAQ then it is okay. As you can tell from the few comments so far there are three schools of thought - the old school who refuse to acknowledge that things have changed and there are new dress codes whether they like it or not and the new school who like the changes and dress accordingly. Then there is one more school who don't care what the rules are and will wear whatever they want because it is their vacation and they paid to do whatever they want.

Maybe it's time for the "old school" to move over to HAL.

Put me down for the "It's none of anyones businees what I do on vacation" school.

I've read all nine pages of this debate and would like to add my 2 cents. I have cruised with Carnival 13 times now (most recently on 5/23/10 on the Carnival Pride) and I happen to LOVE the new relaxed dress code. For any passengers that must fly to their embarkation port, not having to pack suits or dresses helps with the weight limit on luggage and all the other restrictions the airlines have imposed. I think it's wonderful that Carnival has taken that into consideration and made it easier for it's cruisers.

To the original poster of this thread - go on your cruise and remember that it is your CHOICE if you wish to wear shorts or jeans in the main dining room. If other passengers wish to wear dressier attire, that is their CHOICE too. Carnival has made it easier for both types of travelers.

When I posted that it is a 5 star dining experience I was talking about the experience more than the food. This post is why we do not cruise Carnival anymore except for the longer cruises. It has became the experience I do not enjoy anymore. I do choose to go on other lines that have a different type of cruise experience. I am sorry that this is the way Carnival is going. We always enjoyed the Carnival experience we are platinum. I don't want to sit next to someone at my table dressed and acting like the person in the picture that cruzzza posted. Think what you want about me I don't care, but I have the same right to MHO as you do. When you dumb down the dress code everything else will slide too.

WOW, I can't believe that someone would choose not to cruise on a Cruiseline anymore because they allow shorts in the dining room. It's really THAT serious what OTHER PEOPLE are wearing when you dine? :confused:

WOW, I can't believe that someone would choose not to cruise on a Cruiseline anymore because they allow shorts in the dining room. It's really THAT serious what OTHER PEOPLE are wearing when you dine? :confused:

i'm with you.. i'm on MY vacation and what you wear will not bother me in

the least... i'm all for shorts in the MDR.... it's my week to relax and not getting dressed up is great...

I will still dress up for elegant nights, but all the other nights will be shorts

and polo shirts...:)

When I posted that it is a 5 star dining experience I was talking about the experience more than the food. This post is why we do not cruise Carnival anymore except for the longer cruises. It has became the experience I do not enjoy anymore. I do choose to go on other lines that have a different type of cruise experience. I am sorry that this is the way Carnival is going. We always enjoyed the Carnival experience we are platinum. I don't want to sit next to someone at my table dressed and acting like the person in the picture that cruzzza posted. Think what you want about me I don't care, but I have the same right to MHO as you do. When you dumb down the dress code everything else will slide too.

Judge much? :confused::rolleyes:

i'm with you.. i'm on MY vacation and what you wear will not bother me in

the least... i'm all for shorts in the MDR.... it's my week to relax and not getting dressed up is great...

I will still dress for elegant nights, but all the other nights will be shorts

and polo shirts...:)

Exactly! I dress up 5 days a week every week and I don't wish to do it on vacation except for Elegant night (love the pics). Some people don't dress up everyday so it's "fun" for them to do it on cruises and they can't fathom why everyone doesn't feel the same way. When you do it everyday it gets pretty tiring sometimes (I'm wearing a tie right now and I would love to ditch it for some shorts and sneaker)!

Exactly! I dress up 5 days a week every week and I don't wish to do it on vacation except for Elegant night (love the pics). Some people don't dress up everyday so it's "fun" for them to do it on cruises and they can't fathom why everyone doesn't feel the same way. When you do it everyday it gets pretty tiring sometimes (I'm wearing a tie right now and I would love to ditch it for some shorts and sneaker)!

There are also some nice tailored, mens shorts.....not ALL shorts are gym/sweat/cutoffs.

About jeans, Ive got some really nice "dressy" jeans that cost more than some of my cocktail dresses.

I like to dress casual on my cruises because I wear a suit/skirt every.

I do like to dress it up for Elegant night, but then later on change back into my casual clothes ;)

There are also some nice tailored, mens shorts.....not ALL shorts are gym/sweat/cutoffs.

About jeans, Ive got some really nice "dressy" jeans that cost more than some of my cocktail dresses.

I like to dress casual on my cruises because I wear a suit/skirt every.

I do like to dress it up for Elegant night, but then later on change back into my casual clothes ;)

I hear ya. Well, I choose to wear my jean shorts and sneakers to the dining room on non-elegant nights and that works just fine for me. I'm not buying new jeans/shorts just to make other people happy when I am perfectly content in my jean shorts in the MDR. Others can do as they like. As long at it's in compliance with Carnival's dress code, it's their perogative. Oh yeah, I don't wear polo collared shirts either, I wear my tee-shirts with pictures on them! :eek::p:):D

I hear ya. Well, I choose to wear my jean shorts and sneakers to the dining room on non-elegant nights and that works just fine for me. I'm not buying new jeans/shorts just to make other people happy when I am perfectly content in my jean shorts in the MDR. Others can do as they like. As long at it's in compliance with Carnival's dress code, it's their perogative. Oh yeah, I don't wear polo collared shirts either, I wear my tee-shirts with pictures on them! :eek::p:):D

Pictures?? Oh MY! lol!!

I'd pay reeeally good money to watch "Margaritawoman" actually get up from a table at dinner because someone has on shorts!

Pictures?? Oh MY! lol!!

I'd pay reeeally good money to watch "Margaritawoman" actually get up from a table at dinner because someone has on shorts!

I'd watch her walk off in a huff as I take another swig from my bubba keg full of Crown and Coke while wearing my shorts and sneakers! I'm so uncouth! ;)

I almost skipped this thread thinking "well of course not" (can you wear shorts). So happy to find out the dress code has changed, DH will be thrilled.

AND, I got an entertaining half hour out of reading the posts. Although I did think it sounded like my mom who is getting a little senile and not like a very young person.

I'd watch her walk off in a huff as I take another swig from my bubba keg full of Crown and Coke while wearing my shorts and sneakers! I'm so uncouth! ;)

Yeee haaaw! Dont forget the trucker cap!

Did you not just contradict yourself by calling the dining room a 5 star experience and then complain about the cruiseline dumbing things down? I'm confused by your post. Very, very confused.

Well as long as the spurs make all kinds of noise when you walk, then that'll do!

"I got spurssssss that jingle, jingle, jingle

As I go riding merrily aloonnggg

And they say, oh ain't you glad you're single

And that song ain't so very far from wroooong"

This was a fun thread to read and comment on...

and I have some new Hero's.. LemurCat, vacruisn & DEBnGAB

I love it when people agree with the way I think...

:D You're all right with me too GreenBoy!

..and to think, I wasnt even going to open this thread. Would have missed out!

Archived