small US notes??

bazzaw

I have in the past obtained US cash notes from the Commonwealth Bank - but these have always been in larger denominations. Does anybody know if US currency is available in small denominations 1,5,10???

Thanks

Barry

We have found Australia post is pretty good as you can order what notes you would like. but that does not mean they still do but worth a try.

We bought from Travelex online and we got a good mix including small notes $1, 5, 10, 20.

We used the same service many times, there is no commission charges if you order online, allow at least a week to pick up, and when you pick it up just ask for what ever mix you want - very easy service

I have in the past obtained US cash notes from the Commonwealth Bank - but these have always been in larger denominations. Does anybody know if US currency is available in small denominations 1,5,10???

Thanks

Barry

Nowadays it's better to order in advance, unless you go to their head office (city branch) where they carry more stock. They don't carry (order) stock at most locations aside from what they're given by people selling so it’s a matter of luck unless you order.

Aust Post only get what they are given from the bank or wherever they get it from and it's mostly in large denominations. We got our US$$$ 2 weeks ago and my SIL got the same notes.

If you get the notes from the bank you can then request the types of denominations you want, that's why it costs you the bank fee. At least the post office doesn't charge a fee and their rate is usually better

Kerri

When we were get nz money for our cruise to nz earler this year we went to our local post office and they ask us what denominations we would like, we could any we want but not coins, this may not happy every where and it may have been a once off who nows.

The FOREX you buy at a post office comes from American Express whereas if you buy FOREX from a bank, you get what's on hand if they do not have the denominations you have requested.

Re the post office vs the banks, generally I've found that the PO is cheaper as they don't charge more or less an issuing fee (my term) and their rate is set once per day. These days banks like St George charge you a $10 fee + their rate which is always less than the official rate. The rates with banks go up and down during the day to reflect the official rate and the reaction to the market. So a quote from a bank at the start of the day may be quite different to a quote for the same currency at the end of the day.

Like everything else, you have to look around first and be ready to buy when you spot a great deal

The rates with banks go up and down during the day to reflect the official rate and the reaction to the market. So a quote from a bank at the start of the day may be quite different to a quote for the same currency at the end of the day.

Generally that's not true, unless you're buying through treasury, i.e. large amounts. Retail (branch) rates are usually set once a day as well, though it may be after branch opening so if you got a quote at 9, it may be different in the afternoon after the rate update.

That can also be the cause of differences between banks and why it's not possible to say one is always better. While they have differing margins, if the AUD is going down during the day, depending on the time of rate update, a bank with an earlier rate would have a better rate than one with a later one. Conversely if rates go up, another bank would have a better rate in the afternoon.

If you're only changing small amounts though, the fee will likely have a bigger impact than the rate.

Archived