pre-pay or buy on board?

Jo and Rob

I have read that there is a tax if you buy a drinks package on board at the port. What happens if you prepay for the package? Does that have added tax or not? We sail from Southampton, does the UK pose a tax? We have just had a budget and VAT (value added tax - a purchase tax) is going up from 17.5% to 20% in January. We don't want to pay an extra 20% on board in order to have a sailaway drink!

Our cruise is a Mediterranean cruise which is going to Spain, Gibraltar, France, Italy and Sardinia if that makes a difference?

I can't answer about the VAT, as I'm in the US, but I just pre-purchased a drink package on line, and I was charged (on my CC) the same amount as shown on the web site. So, unless they've included a 'hidden' tax, I'd guess that Celebrity doesn't bill you extra for the tax.

Enjoy your cruise!

I can't answer about the VAT, as I'm in the US, but I just pre-purchased a drink package on line, and I was charged (on my CC) the same amount as shown on the web site. So, unless they've included a 'hidden' tax, I'd guess that Celebrity doesn't bill you extra for the tax.

Enjoy your cruise!

When we cruised with Princess from Fort Lauderdale if you bought the package in port an additional tax was added. Sounds like pre-paying avoids this tax and enables you to enjoy a drink straight away.

Trainnut have you pre-purchased before? I have heard of people complaining that they got charged for drinks on a pre-paid card as the bar staff didn't see the code (as opposed to a bright sticker) Have you experienced any trouble?

Archived