Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

I've thought about getting an e-reader, but am wondering how easy it is to read in bright daylight and/or sunlight. I cannot read my cell phone screen at all when outside or even in a vehicle during the day, so if these readers are like my phone then it wouldn't be as useful. Also, can you make the print larger or smaller? Would be really nice to have large print so I wouldn't have to wear my reading glasses. Also, are any of the different brands better for readability than others?

I can only answer as to the Kindle, but yes, it's as clear as a regular book in the sunlight. There are also about five different font sizes.

I can only answer as to the Kindle, but yes, it's as clear as a regular book in the sunlight. There are also about five different font sizes.

That's one of the reasons I want to get a Kindle as I like to read outdoors. My netbook is almost impossible to read in sunlight and I've heard the iPad is the same.

That's one of the reasons I want to get a Kindle as I like to read outdoors. My netbook is almost impossible to read in sunlight and I've heard the iPad is the same.

Yes, my netbook screen is just as hard to read as my cell phone screen. Glad to hear the Kindle is not like these.

The e-ink based readers like Kindle and nook need lights in bed as they are meant to emulate a real page. IPads are backlit but are harder to read in sunlight...

There are mechanisms to get other works onto all devices, most often via pc connection. How that will work will depend on the library's ebook system and formats, or may not be possible.

And yes you can download audiobooks in mp3 format via pc, not wirelessly.

I would like to get an e-reader and was wondering if they all need a light to read in bed at night. Also apparently you can get books for some e-readers from the library. I was told some e-readers can only be used to download from their company, such as amazon and kindle. So any suggestions would be helpful as to which ones allow downloads from some of the free library sites. Also can you download audio books and listen to them on e-readers?

Hi Everyone, First of all I apologize for asking a question that I know has already been asked. But, I did a search and I cannot find what I am looking for.

I am considering purchasing a Kindle2 for cruising/travel/home use and I would like to hear from those of you who use this item. Is it something you really use and like, does it work well on a cruise and other travel and are you still enjoying it after having it for awhile, or is it sitting around on a shelf or junk drawer? Thanks for your help. :p

My sister used hers on our last cruise. She swears by it. I was amazed at easily you can read the screen in the bright sun. I ordered one yesterday and plan to use it on our Oct. cruise. I often carry many books on a cruise and this will really lighten the load.

Hi Lynda90....I don't have the Kindle, but I do have the Nook (Barnes and Noble version of the Kindle) I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Right now I'm getting it to pay for itself by "buying" free and very inexpensive books.

I too am interested in knowing if it will work on a cruise. I know it works on planes, just got back from a trip and it worked great. One of the reasons I got it was for travel, so I don't have to lug several books with me. I now use it exclusively, no more paper books at all for me. Hopefully, someone with this fantastic "toy" will have some good info for us as to cruising!

Leanne.

My sister used hers on a cruse and it worked just fine. She didn't download books o the ship she had hers already downloaded which makes the most sense to me. We were on a 6 day cruise and she didn't have to recharge it once. We were out at the pool all day long.

I just had to chime in on this thread.

We have his & hers Kindles and use them all the time. We’re voracious readers and have an overflowing library so the Kindles have been a great addition for us. They go on every cruise and trip. I also have downloaded all of the books to my b/u unit which I take a long with my laptop wherever I go. (I know, I know…some of you say the i-pad and others that the net book is easier to travel with, but I use several programs that don’t work well on the little units. Also by having the laptop, we have our newspaper and USA today available and it’s a lot easier to read on a computer screen than on a Kindle or i-pad.) By the way you can download new books on Kindle while traveling out of the US, but there is a charge for that. However, if you have a computer you can download to that for free from anywhere then transfer via USB to the Kindle.

We take the Kindles on cruises, to the beach in Aruba, on trains and planes…wherever we go. I have a red M-edge (http://www.amazon.com/M-Edge-Latitude-Kindle-Display-Generation/dp/B002I74YXW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=fiona-hardware&qid=1277730813&sr=1-7) cover which I like (DH uses the standard Kindle cover) because of the pockets. When traveling it holds the charger as well as a reading light and a clear plastic Ziploc bag.

By the pool, on the beach or anywhere we might get sand or water on the Kindle, we slip it into the Ziploc bag. It’s protected, you can see through the bag easily and the bag is cheap! Works better than the plastic skins for protecting the unit.

I work at a computer most of the time and looking at a backlit screen can create eye problems after extended periods (blurry vision, dryness, etc). That’s why the Kindle is my choice over the i-pad. It’s much easier on the eyes and weighs a lot less so it’s easier to hold for long periods while reading while reclining.

The only drawback for us with the Kindles is the huge price increases in the bestsellers demanded by the publishers. Now the kindle books cost almost as much as the hardcopy books. However, they're still easier to carry! Now we take 100s of books in our Kindles instead of lugging books in our suitcases. Also on long Princess cruises we have a nice choice of reading since the Princess libraries tend to be rather small, with limited choices particularly on the Grand-class ships.

I love my NOOK. I got one right before out last cruise and it was awesome. It now goes with me everywhere. Barnes and Noble also has Free Fridays and I have been able to download some great books. So far I am still reading the free ones but I also like the LendMe feature on the NOOK.

As a veteran Kindle, Netbook, and ITouch reader, take a look at the following link. It is updated on a continuous basis and shows most Kindle books which are new free offerings. You will find that many of these will be $9.99 or so after a few days of introduction. Also it is now possible to delete a book from your Amazon library if you decide you have no further interest in it. I currently have 300 plus books in my Amazon library. For those of you who understand what an RSS feed is, you can see this list on your browser homepage on an ongoing basis should you like.

http://ebooks.addall.com/amazonfree.html

PS- always verify that the price is 0.00 before pressing buy it now. Also, someone put up a bunch of "romance" type books a day or 2 ago. Normally there are only a couple of new books a day. You can also access the free BN books from the link.

Can I completely delete a book or does it remain in the Kindle library for my account. I loaned my Kindle to a nephew who proceeded to buy a book I am really embarrassed to have associated with my name. By the way, for anyone sailing on the CB, a Kindle is a Godsend, as that library is really bad.

You can delete any book from your Kindle (push your toggle button to the left) and it will go to the Archives. To delete from the Archives log onto

Amazon, then into Manage My Account and you can find all your archived

books and permanently delete the ones you want from there.

Oh Linda,

So sorry, I didn't even see this thread, just started one of my own. One of these days I'll remember to search first...:o

No problem. We will now have twice as many posts to help the decision. I am ordering the Kindle ($189) through Amazon. Free 2-day shipping. We can compare notes on our cruise. :p

I guess this thread has been moved because it's not completely cruise related. :rolleyes:

I have the Sony reader which allows you to download library books. However, check your local library first! The Ft Lauderdale (Broward) library has about half the ebooks that the Miami (Dade) library has. I got a friend's Miami library card to use, she never has to worry about the books being overdue as they are automatically returned after 3 weeks. Also if you download and 'save' the library books to your computer the days will not start counting until you load them into your reader.

Big drawback for some is that the Sony reader is not wireless - well at least mine was not. I don't know about the new ones. Has not been an issue for me, I normally go ahead and download at least 4-5 at a time.

Never had a problem reading in bright sun.

I have looked at both and now have an iPad.

And my laptop is staying at home next time on my cruise as I will be checking email/surfing on the iPad plus reading books.

Same here. I'll be bringing only the iPad, not my netbook and Kindle. One less thing to carry.

Have you heard that there will be no more unlimited bandwith plans should one be considering the more costly 3G version?

Bob

I ordered my Kindle DX before they were available so have had it since day one. I love it! Its larger than the regular Kindle but I wanted it for PDF files so wanted a bigger format. Fortunately, the brand new software for Kindle, which you can get at Amazon if it has not yet downloaded automatically on your Kindle, will allow you to zoom PDFs, maps and illustrations. It is for both types of Kindle so get it if you don't already have it. Its very good and also allows you to sort your books into collections and use even larger fonts if you need them.

One thing I would avoid is the basic Kindle cover, especially with the DX. I bought one of the ones with the metal pieces that fit into the Kindle and within a month, my Kindle case cracked and it stopped working. Amazon did replace it for free but I read later that many people have had the same problem. I bought a leather case that folded over the top, which is actually nicer because it can stand up on a table if you are reading something at a meeting or while eating lunch.

A friend showed me his Ipad and it looks very nice but I also prefer to read without a backlight. I used a head flashlight (looks silly but works) at night in order to avoid waking my husband. The battery stays charged for days which is nice if you are camping or on a long car trip.

I would say the $189 is an amazing price for the global smaller Kindle! If I wasn't saving for our cruise I would buy one for my husband. He downloads the Kindle books onto his Ipod Touch but its very small. Great though for guide books and maps.

I am voracious reader and can't even imagine traveling without my Kindle. It goes to doctor offices with me and anywhere I have to wait. My 12 year old daughter who has tracking issues is able to use it with the larger font and it has actually helped her to love reading, something I thought would never happen. It would be a great item for an older person who needs large font types because many books are expensive or hard to find in print with large font.

The Kindle is highly recommended at my house! I considered the other options but since we can also put Kindle books on our Netbook for the kids and on the Ipod Touch, its worth the money for us.

BTW, it can also play MP3s and Audiobooks, although not a nice sounding as an Ipod. But it worked for us on a long car trip with the kids.

Made my final decision and ordered both the Kindle 2 and cover from Amazon tonight. I'm sure I could have found a much less expensive cover but the reviews were great on the one I selected. Now I can't wait for my items to arrive! Free shipping on both, but Kindle will arrive several days before the cover due to the difference in the free shipping offers. :p

Made my final decision and ordered both the Kindle 2 and cover from Amazon tonight. I'm sure I could have found a much less expensive cover but the reviews were great on the one I selected. Now I can't wait for my items to arrive! Free shipping on both, but Kindle will arrive several days before the cover due to the difference in the free shipping offers. :p

Congratulations! You're going to love it. :)

Which cover did you get? I am trying to decide between the Go and the Latitude.

I was at a restaurant the other day and saw someone with a Kindle. I had been 'eyeing' them on line for months, but just couldn't bring myself to make the purchase...

but..and this is really unusual for me, as I'm really quite shy...when I saw the woman with her Kindle, I sidled up and asked if I could see it. She was quite enthusiastic, very helpful, showed me hers, and how it worked..

and I am in love. I came home this morning (I was at a convention), read this thread, went to Amazon, and loh and behold!!! there it is, on SALE, at a practically "give away" price! (well, at least that's what I told my husband, and I'm stickin' to it!! :p $189)

So I bought it. Now, if it would just GET here!! :D

Archived