Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

I was at a restaurant the other day and saw someone with a Kindle. I had been 'eyeing' them on line for months, but just couldn't bring myself to make the purchase...

but..and this is really unusual for me, as I'm really quite shy...when I saw the woman with her Kindle, I sidled up and asked if I could see it. She was quite enthusiastic, very helpful, showed me hers, and how it worked..

and I am in love. I came home this morning (I was at a convention), read this thread, went to Amazon, and loh and behold!!! there it is, on SALE, at a practically "give away" price! (well, at least that's what I told my husband, and I'm stickin' to it!! :p $189)

So I bought it. Now, if it would just GET here!! :D

You are so right! - that is a wonderful sale. Mine cost twice as much!! But I still think it was well worth it! I still read library books, but now if I read faster than I thought, I am never "stuck" opening up a book that I have previously read. (Although I often do this on purpose). All I have to do is download a new one!!!!

You know how you have those things that you can't imagine doing without - that you LOVE? (I'm thinking here about Christopher Elbow Chocolates, St Ives Apricot Face Scrub, Angel Perfume, St. Johns knits) - just a few of my favs - but add Kindle to that list!!! FYI - My DH has a thing about TIDE!!:D

I love the light weight of it, the ability to change fonts, & esp. the "lookup" feature. I'm sure you will love it too!!

You are so right! - that is a wonderful sale. Mine cost twice as much!! But I still think it was well worth it! I still read library books, but now if I read faster than I thought, I am never "stuck" opening up a book that I have previously read. (Although I often do this on purpose). All I have to do is download a new one!!!!

You know how you have those things that you can't imagine doing without - that you LOVE? (I'm thinking here about Christopher Elbow Chocolates, St Ives Apricot Face Scrub, Angel Perfume, St. Johns knits) - just a few of my favs - but add Kindle to that list!!! FYI - My DH has a thing about TIDE!!:D

I love the light weight of it, the ability to change fonts, & esp. the "lookup" feature. I'm sure you will love it too!!

Angel is my favorite scent. And, like the Kindle, I couldn't do without it! :rolleyes:

You can delete any book from your Kindle (push your toggle button to the left) and it will go to the Archives. To delete from the Archives log onto

Amazon, then into Manage My Account and you can find all your archived

books and permanently delete the ones you want from there.

Thank you very much.

Technically doable, but the very basic web browser in there doesn't work well with most email services. I tried it once with Yahoo, gave up.

Has anyone used their Kindle 2 for reading/sending emails on a cruise, particularly in ports where there is Whispernet coverage?

Technically doable, but the very basic web browser in there doesn't work well with most email services. I tried it once with Yahoo, gave up.

Mine works with AOL here at home, but just wondering how it would work in Copenhagen or St. Petersburg, for example.

I wasn't sure whether or not to start a new thread about this, so I didn't.

Last night when I looked at my Kindle it was completely dead. It needed to get a full recharge. No problem. Plugged it in and went about my business. Well........it didn't charge fully. Only about 60%. Tried again this morning. Nope. Light doesn't even come on. It thinks it's fully charged.

I called Amazon tech support who ran me through some other motions; i.e. plugging it into USB computer port. Nothing.

Bottom Line: They are sending me a new Kindle which I should receive tomorrow with a return postage paid envelope in which to send them back the old one. The original date of purchase was July, 2009, but I don't recall it having a one year warranty. In any event, this is customer service par excellance.

I wonder whether I'll be getting the same model or whether the new one will be global. Whatever it is, I am grateful.

I had a screen issue out of warranty and they handled it the same way. I got the same Kindle 2 model back (non-global). If they still have those, that's what you will probably received.

There was a known issue with some batteries a few months ago, that's probably what you hit.

One note, when you register the new kindle, you may find you have to resend some books to it from manage your kindle if you do the copy to PC method (I just left mine in archive). Also any pre-orders tagged for the old machine will either need to be re-done or after release just re-sent.

I wasn't sure whether or not to start a new thread about this, so I didn't.

Last night when I looked at my Kindle it was completely dead. It needed to get a full recharge. No problem. Plugged it in and went about my business. Well........it didn't charge fully. Only about 60%. Tried again this morning. Nope. Light doesn't even come on. It thinks it's fully charged.

I called Amazon tech support who ran me through some other motions; i.e. plugging it into USB computer port. Nothing.

Bottom Line: They are sending me a new Kindle which I should receive tomorrow with a return postage paid envelope in which to send them back the old one. The original date of purchase was July, 2009, but I don't recall it having a one year warranty. In any event, this is customer service par excellance.

I wonder whether I'll be getting the same model or whether the new one will be global. Whatever it is, I am grateful.

I had a screen issue out of warranty and they handled it the same way. I got the same Kindle 2 model back (non-global). If they still have those, that's what you will probably received.

There was a known issue with some batteries a few months ago, that's probably what you hit.

One note, when you register the new kindle, you may find you have to resend some books to it from manage your kindle if you do the copy to PC method (I just left mine in archive). Also any pre-orders tagged for the old machine will either need to be re-done or after release just re-sent.

Whatever's in archives can just stay there and I only have one unread book right now which tech assured me would transfer right into the new unit. I hadn't heard anything about battery issues, but it's nice to know the company is standing behind their product.

Hi Everyone, First of all I apologize for asking a question that I know has already been asked. But, I did a search and I cannot find what I am looking for.

I am considering purchasing a Kindle2 for cruising/travel/home use and I would like to hear from those of you who use this item. Is it something you really use and like, does it work well on a cruise and other travel and are you still enjoying it after having it for awhile, or is it sitting around on a shelf or junk drawer? Thanks for your help. :p

I'm coming in a little late on this thread, but I've had my Kindle almost a year and a half, and I love-love-love it. This is one of my favorite posessions, and I read more than I did before. It is absolutely not sitting in a junk drawer! (Though I am very fussy about its safety, so if I'm not reading, it's put away snugly in its quilted zippered bag.)

Other people have already praised the Kindle, and I love all the features they've already described -- the ability to carry so much in a small space, being able to upsize your text, previewing a couple chapters before buying, and more -- but just in case you haven't ordered yet, I'll throw out this wonderful piece of news:

The Kindle 2 International is on sale at http://www.woot.com/ for $149 + $5 shipping (that's new, not refurbished). It wasn't all that long ago that it dropped to $189, and I was amazed.

Order today. You won't be sorry!

I'm coming in a little late on this thread, but I've had my Kindle almost a year and a half, and I love-love-love it. This is one of my favorite posessions, and I read more than I did before. It is absolutely not sitting in a junk drawer! (Though I am very fussy about its safety, so if I'm not reading, it's put away snugly in its quilted zippered bag.)

Other people have already praised the Kindle, and I love all the features they've already described -- the ability to carry so much in a small space, being able to upsize your text, previewing a couple chapters before buying, and more -- but just in case you haven't ordered yet, I'll throw out this wonderful piece of news:

The Kindle 2 International is on sale at http://www.woot.com/ for $149 + $5 shipping (that's new, not refurbished). It wasn't all that long ago that it dropped to $189, and I was amazed.

Order today. You won't be sorry!

I just got mine yesterday for $189. I don't seen the $149 price anywhere on Amazon's site Where did you see it? It just went down to $189 this week.

edited. I did see and check out the link you posted. Not sure what that site is but the official Kindle and the Amazon warranty is only available thru Amazon. I don't get it?

Continuation of the Kindle story. New one came today. It's DEAD! No power. What are the chances of something like that happening? What do they say about lightening ??????????? Anyhow, just got off the phone with Amazon and another Kindle will be arriving on Tuesday. I asked them to please test it first. :eek:

Just letting you all know that my Kindle arrived and I'm absolutely loving it. It's so easy to set up and I immediately got some of the free books to read. I am now reading Tuscan Holiday and even though it's a bit of a fluff/chick book, I am really enjoying it. I just know my Kindle will become one of my fravorite items. It's so useful that I am reluctant to even call it a gadget! :p

Pia, sorry to hear of your battery problem with Kindle. But, very happy to know that Amazon provides such great customer service. Keep us posted when you get the next one.

BTW, I also received the cover I ordered. Supposed to get here tomorrow (Tuesday), but arrived either Friday or Saturday. I hardly ever use my front door, but a friend came over yesterday and when I opened my door, there was my package inside my screen door. Now I'm all set. :p

Just letting you all know that my Kindle arrived and I'm absolutely loving it. It's so easy to set up and I immediately got some of the free books to read. I am now reading Tuscan Holiday and even though it's a bit of a fluff/chick book, I am really enjoying it. I just know my Kindle will become one of my fravorite items. It's so useful that I am reluctant to even call it a gadget! :p

Pia, sorry to hear of your battery problem with Kindle. But, very happy to know that Amazon provides such great customer service. Keep us posted when you get the next one.

BTW, I also received the cover I ordered. Supposed to get here tomorrow (Tuesday), but arrived either Friday or Saturday. I hardly ever use my front door, but a friend came over yesterday and when I opened my door, there was my package inside my screen door. Now I'm all set. :p

Congrats and enjoy. I expect the arrival of replacement number two tomorrow. Interesting about the front door, because I never use mine either. :D

Enjoy Tuscan Holiday. Fluff is sometimes good, especially when fluff is free. :)

ive got a Sony Reader and I love it. Im going into hospital tomorrow, though, so Im not taking it with me, but will take some paperbacks, just in case someone else takes a fancy to it whilst Im asleep or otherwise occupied or away from my room. Otherwise it goes everywhere with me.

Just letting you all know that my Kindle arrived and I'm absolutely loving it. It's so easy to set up and I immediately got some of the free books to read. I am now reading Tuscan Holiday and even though it's a bit of a fluff/chick book, I am really enjoying it. I just know my Kindle will become one of my fravorite items. It's so useful that I am reluctant to even call it a gadget! :p :p[/b]

So glad you love it too!! I read hard-backed books still at times along with my Kindle. Just wait until you push the page button on the right side of the paper page to try to turn it!:) It just doesn't work too well!!:D

So glad you love it too!! I read hard-backed books still at times along with my Kindle. Just wait until you push the page button on the right side of the paper page to try to turn it!:) It just doesn't work too well!!:D

Now I just have to learn what all the little number and letter keys are for on the bottom of the Kindle. :p

Just in case that wasn't a joke, main use is either annotating books or searching in books or the Kindle store.

Now I just have to learn what all the little number and letter keys are for on the bottom of the Kindle. :p

Amen to the Kindle vs. Ipad for cruising.....I took the Ipad to Las Vegas recently and it OVERHEATED within 20 minutes while out near the pool! So I will be leaving the Ipad at home from now on (so far I consider it a waste of $800!) and taking the Kindle on all vacations! Also, I have been able to get MANY more book selections on the Kindle as opposed to the Ipad.....

Archived