Is the Steakhouse worth it?

gslargent

at no point did you indicate in your post that you have NEVER even eaten in the steakhouse.

Kinda like someone asking if a suite is worth it. Someone posts NO, because they`ve stayed at the Waldorf.

I added that fact, not an opinion.

One last time! Why is my opinion so important to you, and WHO designated you to determine why my opinion is not valid just because I've not eaten in the steakhouse? I ate at the specialty restaurant aboard Celebrity Millennium, which you well know, and I didn't find it to be worth it. Why? Because I'm perfectly satisfied with the food in the MDR. I don't have to pay $30 more for what may or may not be a better meal, especially when I don't need, want or desire to. GET IT! My opinion matters, based upon my situation every bit as much as your cheerleading opinion does. Once again, you have proven that you have to have the last word about everything, even another person's opinion. Get over yourself, and move on.

To the OP. Eat in the steakhouse or don't eat in the steakhouse, but my opinion stands. It isn't worth $30 extra (TO ME).

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. By the way, because you brought it up, a suite is definitely not worth it to me, and yes, I spent a week in the Waldorf-Astoria back in August, 1993. What's it to you?

One last time! Why is my opinion so important to you, and WHO designated you to determine why my opinion is not valid just because I've not eaten in the steakhouse? I ate at the specialty restaurant aboard Celebrity Millennium, which you well know, and I didn't find it to be worth it. Why? Because I'm perfectly satisfied with the food in the MDR. I don't have to pay $30 more for what may or may not be a better meal, especially when I don't need, want or desire to. GET IT! My opinion matters, based upon my situation every bit as much as your cheerleading opinion does. Once again, you have proven that you have to have the last word about everything, even another person's opinion. Get over yourself, and move on.

To the OP. Eat in the steakhouse or don't eat in the steakhouse, but my opinion stands. It isn't worth $30 extra (TO ME).

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. By the way, because you brought it up, a suite is definitely not worth it to me, and yes I spent a week in the Waldorf-Astoria back in August, 1993. What's it to you?

I think you have forgotten that this is a public message board. Post incomplete or incorrect information, and people will add to the post.

If you choose to post an opinion, there will be others to ask you or post additional information you may leave out.

If you choose to opine on something you have never experienced, go for it. At least state such. It will assist those that read this thread.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

The trouble with your opinion is that you are considering the restaurant on X to be equal to Carnival's Steakhouse. And it simply is not. And I'm only talking about steak. Carnival does serve aged USDA Prime beef. X DOES NOT.

Only about [a little less] than 2% of all beef is rated at USDA Prime. If you do not know or are unable to appreciate the difference, that is too bad. But if you DO know the difference, its like comparing Coke to Hot Chocolate. Both are drinks and can be good but they are very different things. The same applies to Prime vs. Choice beef. Anyone that appreciates quality beef cooked from medium rare to still mooing will enjoy the Steakhouse. Anyone that doesn't enjoy lightly cooked quality beef----------pass. A well done steak has lost its original quality.

We ate twice at the Steakhouse on the Liberty last week.

We made advance reservations for the second night out (Sunday). Is it worth the $30 plus optional tip. That depends; to us it was. The food is a better than MDR, but probably not worth $30 per person ($70 with tip). We found the onion soup, crabcakes, and lobster to be subpar on our cruise. On the other hand, the ahi tuna, jumbo shrimp cocktail, spinach salad, filet, prime rib, and chocolate sampler were excellent. Sunday was the first elegant night so the steakhouse was not busy. We had the opportunity to talk with our waiters (Ivan and Ivana), the bartender (Rai), and hostess (Monika) at length.

Because we enjoyed the experience we dined a second time. I tried to make reservations for Tuesday night and the only time slots they had were early (5:30) or late (9:00). We booked for Thursday (second elegant night). I had my choice of any time slot. The evening was marvelous with very few people in the restaurant.

They appear to be less busy on elegant evenings. We will dine twice on our cruise next year -- both times on elegant evening. :)

The trouble with your opinion is that you are considering the restaurant on X to be equal to Carnival's Steakhouse. And it simply is not. And I'm only talking about steak. Carnival does serve aged USDA Prime beef. X DOES NOT.

Only about [a little less] than 2% of all beef is rated at USDA Prime. If you do not know or are unable to appreciate the difference, that is too bad. But if you DO know the difference, its like comparing Coke to Hot Chocolate. Both are drinks and can be good but they are very different things. The same applies to Prime vs. Choice beef. Anyone that appreciates quality beef cooked from medium rare to still mooing will enjoy the Steakhouse. Anyone that doesn't enjoy lightly cooked quality beef----------pass. A well done steak has lost its original quality.

Dan: That isn't my point at all. I've attempted to make it clear that I don't NEED, WANT or DESIRE that quality of food, at that price. I am PERFECTLY SATISFIED by the meal, which I've already paid for, in the MDR. That point of view is every bit as worthwhile to the OP, for consideration, as the cheerleader opinions of MrPete. I don't have to have dined there to have a valid opinion.

I make references to quality places that I've eaten or stayed just to appease MrPete. The same thing applies to my home. It is a small (1008 sq ft) home and I am perfectly satisfied living here. I've stayed at my parent's home which is a beautiful 3,800 sq ft home, and it is not worth it to me. I don't have to buy a big fancy mansion, just as I don't have to eat in the steakhouse, or stay in a suite aboard a Carnival ship in order to determine that it is not worth it (TO ME).

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Dan: That isn't my point at all. I've attempted to make it clear that I don't NEED, WANT or DESIRE that quality of food, at that price. I am PERFECTLY SATISFIED by the meal, which I've already paid for, in the MDR. That point of view is every bit as worthwhile to the OP, for consideration, as the cheerleader opinions of MrPete. I don't have to have dined there to have a valid opinion.

I make references to quality places that I've eaten or stayed just to appease MrPete. The same thing applies to my home. It is a small (1008 sq ft) home and I am perfectly satisfied living here. I've stayed at my parent's home which is a beautiful 3,800 sq ft home, and it is not worth it to me. I don't have to buy a big fancy mansion, just as I don't have to eat in the steakhouse, or stay in a suite aboard a Carnival ship in order to determine that it is not worth it (TO ME).

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I have not actually died yet, but I can certainly have a opinion that I don't want to. ;)It would certainly ruin the best plans, not to mention the 3 booked future cruises we have under the strict ES rate :o

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

You are welcome to share your knowledge about all and anything. This thread is about whether Carnival's Steakhouse is worth the $30. charge. Since you do not care about a steak of that quality and have never personally dined there, why voice an opinion when you possess no knowledge of the subject, and little to no interest in it. If you simply said you felt the alternative restaurant on X was not worth it in your opinion. I would agree with you. I don't think theirs is worth it either. Same as I don't think "Chops" on RCL is worth the $20. But Portofino's is good but not for steak.

At the risk of interrupting the dialogue between bobbyleduck, dan40, and MrPete :rolleyes:...

The Golden Fleece (Carnival Legend) and Sun King (Carnival Freedom) have served me the two best meals I've ever eaten at sea... and two of the better ones I've eaten anywhere. The courses you actually order are superb, and they bring out little *amuse bouches* a couple or three times to give you a little taste of something you may never have heard of. Great service, too. A wonderful experience well worth the $30.

BUT it does take some time, and you should look at this kind of dining as part of your evening's entertainment - it's going to take 2 hrs or more (more likely 2 1/2) to eat there. If that's too much leisure in your dining, then you may not enjoy it. If you're dining with good company and have some good stories and a pleasant bottle of wine, you probably won't even notice how long you've been there.

Bottom line: it's "fine dining," the real thing, not the close-but-no-cigar banquet-level fine dining in the MDR.

Bon appetit! (and save some for me :))

At the risk of interrupting the dialogue between bobbyleduck, dan40, and MrPete :rolleyes:...

The Golden Fleece (Carnival Legend) and Sun King (Carnival Freedom) have served me the two best meals I've ever eaten at sea... and two of the better ones I've eaten anywhere. The courses you actually order are superb, and they bring out little *amuse bouches* a couple or three times to give you a little taste of something you may never have heard of. Great service, too. A wonderful experience well worth the $30.

BUT it does take some time, and you should look at this kind of dining as part of your evening's entertainment - it's going to take 2 hrs or more (more likely 2 1/2) to eat there. If that's too much leisure in your dining, then you may not enjoy it. If you're dining with good company and have some good stories and a pleasant bottle of wine, you probably won't even notice how long you've been there.

Bottom line: it's "fine dining," the real thing, not the close-but-no-cigar banquet-level fine dining in the MDR.

Yeah! Dats whot I wuz trien ta say!:D

I am not a Carnival cheerleader. It is not even my favorite line. But I can confidently say that Carnival's steakhouse is better than its counterparts on both Princess ($25 steak is not aged and still a great experience) or Chops on RCI (forget the price - it's been a while). I will book the Magic's steakhouse as soon as I get the chance. I'd like to bring the kids. Do they get 1/2 price? We may go once with the kids and once without. What other lines have that Carnival does not is additional specialty restaurants. But count me in for Carnival doing this steakhouse thing very well.

I have not actually died yet, but I can certainly have a opinion that I don't want to. ;)It would certainly ruin the best plans, not to mention the 3 booked future cruises we have under the strict ES rate :o

Ah, the thoughts of theology, existentializm,and all that rot.

Imagine finding out that our time on this astral plane is merely a prologue to something bigger and better. Our 72.6 years vs eternity is a mere nanaspeck of time. People who have made it to the other side know there`s a bigger and better. And are routing for us.

Yet we sit nervously concerning ourselves with the threat of death.

Who really knows what is next.

I will probably book dinner one evening at the Steakhouse on board the Spirit since we will be on a 12 day cruise. I remember dining there on an Alaskan Cruise several years ago and we both enjoyed it. As I recall the food was good and the service was excellent.

Ah, the thoughts of theology, existentializm,and all that rot.

Imagine finding out that our time on this astral plane is merely a prologue to something bigger and better. Our 72.6 years vs eternity is a mere nanaspeck of time. People who have made it to the other side know there`s a bigger and better. And are routing for us.

Yet we sit nervously concerning ourselves with the threat of death.

Who really knows what is next.

"Nanaspeck of time," You bin hittin' the poet juice again?

Thanks for the information!! I booked The Point Steakhouse on our upcoming Conquest cruise for our anniversary. We have never tried the steakhouse before, so I am really anticipating it from reading your post.

We did the supper club on both of our cruises, and it's well worth the money. The quality of the food, IMO blows away the MDR. I have only had a better steak once, and that was from Morton's steakhouse... and it was a LOT more then $30.

If you're looking for a nice romantic evening with your SO, it's def. something to check out. You won't be disappointed. ;)

:D ABSOLUTELY! Again, it is not Morton's (which is not one of my favorite), Bern's (in Tampa) or Del Monico's (which is the best steak I have ever had anywhere), but it is probably the best meal you will have on your cruise. That is of course, unless you are lucky enough to enjoy the Chef's Table.

We skipped the Steakhouse the first time around, but we're definitely doing it for the next one.

Questions:

1) Is lobster available every night?

2) I read about the Porterhouse...any other steaks?

3) Is this like the MDR, that is, may you another serving if you want it or a 2nd dessert?

Thanks in advance for responding.

We skipped the Steakhouse the first time around, but we're definitely doing it for the next one.

Questions:

1) Is lobster available every night?

2) I read about the Porterhouse...any other steaks?

3) Is this like the MDR, that is, may you another serving if you want it or a 2nd dessert?

Thanks in advance for responding.

1) Yes

2)Yes

3) No

Thank you Dan, I appreciate the info!

They have Filets, and rib eyes and more? I used to be a filet kind of guy, but now its thick rare rib eyes, for me.

I've read where some have got multiple desserts. I'm not much on desserts. But that's a no no on entrees. But the portions are SO large, you won't want 2. It is NOT similar to the MDR. The Steakhouse is a class restaurant, the MDR is a very good banquet hall.

I'm sailing on the Dream next week and wondering if I should book the Steakhouse. In your opinion, is it worth spending the extra $30 when you could save the money and eat in the MDR?

You won't know until you try it for yourself;)

Archived