Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

TLCOhio

Thanks so much for sending these great pictures! Although we'll be on a midship veranda on Spirit, we can get a good idea of what the space "feels" like from your pictures (understanding that the Spirit suites are still a bit narrower). I've enjoyed reading your daily updates...keep 'em coming! Also, if you get a chance to photograph on of the lunch buffets, please send that along too! Enjoy the trip - it sounds fabulous!

For Meow - the table in the sitting area has a table top which swings round and opens up to double the original size and your breakfast/lunch/whatever is set on this. I also read the comments about the clearance on the Spirit. I sat on the stool to dry my hair/put make-up on etc (on the Cloud). There isn't a huge amount of space, but my husband could pass back and forth without any problem. Pat
Thank you kindly for your reply.

Thanks to duct tape and the wonderful Silver Cloud crew, a special breakfast was arranged this Monday morning on this sea day for those who let us know earlier that they were on this cruise. Was it good? I let you look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

ROCKING SEAS!!! Now in the mid afternoon after the great International Buffet in the main dining room, we are moving more in the open sea and the waves are in the four to five foot range with 25 knot winds. You can really feel it in the strongest way yet on our trip. If the Captain had not adjusted our routing a little, we would have been out in ten foot waves and an even more rocky journey. In the evening, we will be in more protected waters, but after midnight, we will be back in more open seas. Such is the unique nature of the Norway Coast!

CAMERA LENSES? For my Nikon D50 digital camera, I have three lenses. The wide angle is a Sigma 10-20mm, f4.0-5.6 that cost about $500 in 2008. It weights 16.5 oz. and is equal to a range of 15-30mm from the “old days” of film cameras. This lens probably gets the highest marks compared to Nikkor lens. My other two lenses are a Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f3.5-55mm and a Nikkor AF 70-300mm f4.0-5.6. Two summers ago, I posted this thread titled: Baltics/Picture Secrets! Key Tips, Ideas, etc. Check it out, if interested in any photo tips or ideas. Let us know any reactions, questions or added suggestions by posting to that item or here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=977864

MEOW! QUESTIONS? Yes, I agree with what Pat from Scotland summarized. That table nicely opens up and works well for the two of us to have breakfast in our room. That’s a real treat to enjoy breakfast in your rooms, especially on a busy day. That round stool works well in front of the make-up area. My wife gives this set-up on the Silver Cloud good marks.

Appreciate the added, nice comments. I will share with Gianni your added wishes. As I have mentioned, his memory and focus on details has been totally amazing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Here’s the “group” for Cruise Critic on this Silver Cloud adventure. Captain Mino Pontillo is at right at this special breakfast along with the Hotel Director, Cruise Director and Dining Room Manager. The other group names and identities are being protect in case anyone is in the Federal Witness Protection Program.:

CCbrkGroupPicture.jpg

The first, fruit course was uniquely carved into these special designs that were excellent and light as a starter.:

CCbrkFruit.jpg

This was the herb custard with salmon smoked and roe, flavored with chives and vermouth, plus a big serving of caviar.:

CCbrkCaviar.jpg

The next breakfast course was brioche French toast stuffed with banana, covered with coconut and pineapple syrup.:

CCbrkPancakes.jpg

Finally, here was the Papal Benedict egg bake in a Serrano meat basket with Fontina cheese and tomato chutney.:

CCbrkPoachedEgg.jpg

Executive Chef Douglas Hope came out to take deserved bows after personally preparing part of this spectacular breakfast and then he answered questions. The Ship’s Captain is shown at left with one of the three tables for our group in the Le Champagne room overlooking the choppy waters as we sailed south.:

CCbrkChefExplaining.jpg

At noon in the main dining room, it was International Buffet time. It was super great and nice set-up in the middle of the main dining room. The visuals tell it all. More later on the pasta making and dinner in Le Champagne.

Here is how the various items were carved to spell out Norway in a super creative way.:

CloudInterBuffetCarving.jpg

This whole salmon was poached, then carved. It tasted wonderful!:

CloudInterBuffetPoachSalmon.jpg

Folks are sampling various items around the ice carving.:

CloudInterBuffetGrazing.jpg

On the table was this unique dining delight to make a Norway flag using salmon roe eggs and caviar.:

CloudInterBuffetNorFlag.jpg

Here’s one of three tables with delightful desserts.:

CloudInterBuffetDessert.jpg

I must admit, Terry, this is way more than we got on our Wind cruise. I plan to have my TA call SS and find out what you guys did right that we missed out on. The trip is still similar, but this breakfast is over the top. Enjoy your next visit with Mr. Scales.

Best, Newlondon

[MEOW! QUESTIONS? Yes, I agree with what Pat from Scotland summarized. That table nicely opens up and works well for the two of us to have breakfast in our room. That’s a real treat to enjoy breakfast in your rooms, especially on a busy day. That round stool works well in front of the make-up area. My wife gives this set-up on the Silver Cloud good marks.

Appreciate the added, nice comments. I will share with Gianni your added wishes. As I have mentioned, his memory and focus on details has been totally amazing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font][/size][/color][/img]

Thank you .. yummy .. meow!

On Tony’s question of “Was that a special breakfast put on for your CC group or a CC group at the breakfast if you see what I mean?”, here’s the added background.

As I noted “Thanks to duct tape” in the opening, the credit goes to this individual, who’s not in the witness-protection program. I have, however, under severe penalty, pledged to protect that identity and details.

Because duct tape has done over a 1000 days traveling with Silversea and has many more planned for 2010-12, the staff decided to go much above and beyond. We got the nice benefit!!! It was very special and nice, including the time to talk and learn more from the Captain and other key staff. It pays to not only read Cruise Critic, but to say “HI” on the roll calls, etc.

Newlondon is correct that “this breakfast is over the top.” BUT, there are times when you just have to “sit back” and suffer through a situation. Several things came together correctly to make this work so well.

Wasn’t sure what was meant by “Enjoy your next visit with Mr. Scales.” Help?

We are now in the Hellesylt-Geiranger fjord. Great looking. Temperature is decent, but it is, as expected, raining. AccuWeather says for tomorrow/Wednesday with our long 8 am to 11 pm day in Bergen that it will be partly sunny and warmer. High Temperature: 68F, low Temperature: 61. The weather has been super great, so we will work to “get by” with the rain today.

Lots of great pictures to come from our special dinner last night in Le Champagne with the French Burgundy menu theme. Wonderful!!!

At noon in the main dining room, it was International Buffet time. It was super great and nice set-up in the middle of the main dining room. The visuals tell it all. More later on the pasta making and dinner in Le Champagne.

Here is how the various items were carved to spell out Norway in a super creative way.:

CloudInterBuffetCarving.jpg

This whole salmon was poached, then carved. It tasted wonderful!:

CloudInterBuffetPoachSalmon.jpg

Folks are sampling various items around the ice carving.:

CloudInterBuffetGrazing.jpg

On the table was this unique dining delight to make a Norway flag using salmon roe eggs and caviar.:

CloudInterBuffetNorFlag.jpg

Here’s one of three tables with delightful desserts.:

CloudInterBuffetDessert.jpg

Fantastic breakfast....brava duct tape :D

Cheers

Jennifer

AHA ! now I know who duct tape is ! nice people, met them either on the Cloud in March, or the Shadow last August !!!

We are now arriving, Wednesday morning in the harbor of Bergen. Just passed under the large suspension bridge and we see the 2,720-passenger Costa Magica in port. That mega ship was with us in the Hellesylt-Geiranger fjords. Way too large for us. We liked the more manageable size of the Silver Cloud. The new Seabourn ship, just started last month, is also in port. More to come here. It will be super busy in Bergen today.

Yesterday, as predicted, we did get rain, but it was mainly in the morning. Had some major fog as we went up to the major mountain overview of Geiranger. Could see nothing from up there, but we were at that point. The closer overlook provided some nice port pictures.

Sorry, no time to do photo posting this am. Lots of time on the final sea day tomorrow to catch up with so many great visuals, etc. To be mostly sunny and a high of 68F in Bergen today. No rain predicted today.

Because duct tape has done over a 1000 days traveling with Silversea and has many more planned for 2010-12, the staff decided to go much above and beyond. We got the nice benefit!!! It was very special and nice, including the time to talk and learn more from the Captain and other key staff. It pays to not only read Cruise Critic, but to say “HI” on the roll calls, etc.

Hey Terry I think I would like to go cruising with Duct Tape too !!

Really enjoying your daily log and photos.

Ann

For the first time we were able to take the finicular/tram ride up the mountain to see the aerial view. Every other time we have been in Bergen it has poured rain! We have been VERY luckly with weather on this trip. From the mountain you could also see the MSC "Gigantia" (for want of a better name), she dumped about 4000 people into the line for the tram! Oh well, it moved quickly. This has been a really good trip and I think all have had a great time! Even the Captain commented of the apparent camaraderie of this particular group last evening during his farewell speech. Bought some local shrimp, strawberries and raspberries in the street market and had a picnic at the pool deck!

Terry,

I just caught up with this thread and inhaled all of it as fast as I could.

What great reporting, incredible pictures!!! Thank you.

We did an almost identical cruise not too long ago and it was fun re-living the adventure.

We spent 32 days on the Cloud last year and I couldn't agree with you any more about the great staff; they are all special but Jorge stands out.

I recognized some faces of the staff from your pictures.

We too were lucky to be on duct tape's trivia team (Hi duct tape!).

I am glad you had a fantastic trip. I was reading along while you worried about every little detail anticipating the cruise. I hope it lived up to your expectations.

Thank you again :)

Edited by Paulchili

Being up a little past 7 am on our last sea day on the Silver Cloud going from Bergen to Copenhagen, we are greeted by rather rough seas, dark clouds and some rain. Not the best, right now, but after our spectacularly perfect day in Bergen yesterday, who can or would complain.

The weather has super, wonderful on this trip with just a couple, little, very minor examples. In this part of the world, you don’t often get this lucky. Bergen averages 300+ days of rain each year. That doesn’t mean it rains all day long on each of those 300+ days in Bergen, but to have the great blue skies and sunshine we did there is not an often happening. As I post later some pictures from Bergen, you will see what we loved so much here. We have been very blessed with such nice weather to make our experience even better.

THANKS to NewLondon for explaining the “Mr. Scales” question! Sorry for being so slow. I asked duct tape and it was explained to my slow brain that one. Agree that traveling with duct tape and/or any of the experience Silversea travelers also helps the process and to know more. Appreciate the nice comments by LN50, Paul Chili and others. Let us know any questions or comments.

Duct tape’s posting summarized things well: “For the first time we were able to take the funicular/tram ride up the mountain to see the aerial view. Every other time we have been in Bergen it has poured rain! We have been VERY luckily with weather on this trip. From the mountain you could also see the MSC "Gigantia" (for want of a better name), she dumped about 4000 people into the line for the tram! Oh well, it moved quickly. This has been a really good trip and I think all have had a great time! Even the Captain commented of the apparent camaraderie of this particular group last evening during his farewell speech. Bought some local shrimp, strawberries and raspberries in the street market and had a picnic at the pool deck!” This is especially true from someone so experienced around the world and on the Silver Cloud. There has been a great “CAMARADERIE” on this ship between everyone involved. A longer, 15-day cruises has added to that “potential”, but it has worked very, very well in so many ways.

Just had a nice chat with Giuseppe Bagnato, the hotel director on the Silver Cloud for the next two months. He took over from Gianni who left yesterday morning to fly to Frankfurt and then Mexico City for his son’s wedding on Saturday. Gianni has been super wonderful and every effective. Giuseppe has worked on and off with Silversea since 2000 and has done parts of a couple different World Cruises. He is recently married and has also done some work in Austria with the hotel business. He, like the Captain, is from far southern Italy. He noted his main job focus is “making the customers happy”, building staff morale (which is very high now) and worrying about whether the containers of supplies arrive in the main ports on time.

More to come later.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi Terry. I am going to be as sad as you when your trip comes to an end. I have enjoyed every second of your posts and especially the wonderful photos. Promise you'll do the same on your next cruise - hopefully with Silversea again!! Wishing you and your wife safe travelling back to Ohio. Pat

We just did the Bridge Tour on our last sea day. The staff spent lots of time with us and the Captain dropped by, chatted and answered various questions. He has a great sense of humor with wonderful charm and class. I asked him which Silversea ship he liked best and he said that the Silver Cloud would be it. He said this ship gets the highest ratings from passengers and because of that, the central office lets him and his staff run things without too much interference. He also told us about the large red pepper that hangs on the bridge that is an Italian good luck charm. He said that he got a larger one to bring better luck. That system was working well with the weather we had on this cruise.

From all of his past cruises up along the Norway Coast, many with other cruise lines, he said that July is always the best month and that the weather on this trip was the best he had ever experienced here. He will be on the Silver Cloud until August 23. He’ll do two months off and then be on another Silversea ship. He will then be off for Christmas and New Years before re-joining the Silver Cloud in January.

Lots more pictures and details to come.

The Chief Navigator, from Argentina, is starting our Bridge tour on our last sea day.:

BridgeOverviewByNavig.jpg

The Captain is review some of the past weather info from earlier on our trip.:

BridgeCaptCharts.jpg

On the Bridge deck, the Captain is answering questions during our tour.:

BridgeCaptainDiscussing.jpg

Here is the Captain posing with me (in red sweater) and another passenger from South Carolina during our Bridge tour.

Captain.jpg

Here is how one of the computer screens looks on the bridge showing the sea chart for our routing into Copenhagen.:

BridgeChartScreen.jpg

Here’s a “bonus” picture of Jorge doing a great job finalizing details from the earlier International Buffet at noon on the Silver Cloud.:

CloudBuffetJorgeFinalDetails.jpg