Help choosing Celebrity or Norwegian

lgibbons

Trying to decide on Celebrity Infinity or Norwegian Pearl for RT Seattle in late August. Itineraries similiar with the Pearl going through Glacier Bay and Infinity to Tracey Arm. There is a pretty big price difference with Celebrity being cheaper. Any suggestions?

The vast majority of experienced Alaska cruisers will say that a full day in Glacier Bay will offer a much better experience than a half day at the Tracy Arm. You will see several glaciers in Glacier Bay and it is possible (because of heavy ice) that you will see no glaciers at Tracy Arm.

I've not been to Tracy Arm but a return to Glacier Bay would be on my must have list for a return to Alaska.

Also while Rt Seattle is often most economical, I'd recommend Vancouver as the sailing is very scenic and often significantly calmer in Queen Charlotte Strait from the open ocean. Just a thought.

There are other factors you may want to look at as well, including ports and time in ports. Your "similar" comment actually isn't so. There is a BIG difference between Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm, along, likely with your port times.

I'm with everyone else - choose Glacier Bay. Our Alaska cruise had Tracy Arm and there was so much ice in the channel we never made it to the glacier.

Have you cruised before? We've been on 2 Celebrity cruises and honestly, they just don't seem to fit us very well. I know they're considered a Premium Cruiseline but they just aren't a good match for us. We were on the Infinity for the Panama Canal and the ship needed a lot of maintenance. Staff was probably the most approachable and friendliest of any ship we'd been on but maintenance just didn't have it together. Service in the dining room was fabulous but food wasn't great. I couldn't even eat the lobster, such a disappointment! We've been on Norwegian 5 times - once on the Pearl already. In fact, we'll be on the Pearl again in a week going to Alaska. We like the whole Freestyle concept. We like that there are no formal nights and no assigned times for dining. We like that the ship will be in Juneau from 2pm until late in the evening - giving us lots of time to go explore Mendenhal glacier.

Just my 10 cents worth. You will have a great time either way. Be sure to take binoculars.

Paula

Have you cruised before? We've been on 2 Celebrity cruises and honestly, they just don't seem to fit us very well. I know they're considered a Premium Cruiseline but they just aren't a good match for us. We were on the Infinity for the Panama Canal and the ship needed a lot of maintenance. Staff was probably the most approachable and friendliest of any ship we'd been on but maintenance just didn't have it together. Service in the dining room was fabulous but food wasn't great.

I am with you. I really wanted to like Celebrity but just couldn't - I don't know if it is overhyped or what? We had similar experiences that you did except our service was subpar.

That's quite a decision....................as for us..................we avoid NCL. We were shocked at the small cabins, crew not interested in doing their jobs, dirty ship, poor food, etc. when we did Alaska on NCL............

A lousy buffet.................with few places to sit................but that was OUR ship.

We're on HAL again this year.

As mentioned.................smoother waters leaving from Vancouver, but flying in there is expensive as are their hotels.

Whatever you do, have FUN...............Alaska is addictive.;)

Just got off the Pear/Glacier bay. My experience was 100% the opposite of KAYEF.

The question I have about Tracey arms is... If the ship can't get in because of the ice, are the ship excursions able to get through? If yes, perhaps the difference between GB and TA isn't as significant?? I'll defer to folks who have done both on that.

The Pearl was great, had a fantastic time. If I could do it over, I'd try to find an itinerary with "better" port times. Juneau from 2-10pm worked, but only because we were there on the longest day of the year, and the Star got out of the way pretty quick. As the days get shorter, I don't think it would have been a great choice. I would have liked more time in Ketchikan also.

That said, if Pearl is my only choice for next time, I'll still be delighted to take it again.

Just got off the Pear/Glacier bay. My experience was 100% the opposite of KAYEF.

The question I have about Tracey arms is... If the ship can't get in because of the ice, are the ship excursions able to get through? If yes, perhaps the difference between GB and TA isn't as significant?? I'll defer to folks who have done both on that.

The Pearl was great, had a fantastic time. If I could do it over, I'd try to find an itinerary with "better" port times. Juneau from 2-10pm worked, but only because we were there on the longest day of the year, and the Star got out of the way pretty quick. As the days get shorter, I don't think it would have been a great choice. I would have liked more time in Ketchikan also.

That said, if Pearl is my only choice for next time, I'll still be delighted to take it again.

Every time, I have had the Tracy Arm add on tours with NCL- 3, the two times they continued to Tracy Arm, yes the boat tour, went right up to the glacier, and the cruise ship did not- one time no view, the other is on my photo sample, probably over a mile out. The third trip did Endicott Arm, I tried to get the likely route out of Cpt. Lars prior to the cut off for the tour, of which, Allen Marine- when I loaded on their boat- didn't even know then. Claimed, they were waiting for the final route from NCL.

I think you need to see both for yourself. There is no comparism to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. With Glacier Bay superior for glacier viewing- WAY superior.

I know for a fact there are times the small boats can not get far into Tracy Arm.

Also realize that the small boat tours through the cruise lines often sell out quickly on some sailings.

My 2 cents worth...

Ship comparaison - I would definitely go for Celebrity & the Infinity over NCL ...

I love the Infinity - GREAT STAFF- never seems crowded - wonderful warm indoor thearpy pool - great "healty" choice buffet in the spa area as well as the regular buffet in the Ocean Grill - spacious cabins - LOVE THOSE EXTERIOR GLASS ELEVATORS - good food - and the list goes on - (Have been on the Infinity for 6 different cruises now & no I am not a staff member)

I actually like going up Endicott Arm & Tracey Arm as I feel they are more scenic - although you only do see the 2 glaciers....and not as much calfing.

I would go for Celebrity....

I actually like going up Endicott Arm & Tracey Arm as I feel they are more scenic - although you only do see the 2 glaciers....and not as much calfing.

I would go for Celebrity....

I have never cruised NCL so I can't comment on that. I can say that I have attempted to see Tracy Arm 2x (one large ship, one small boat) and both times, we were iced out. I do know how disappointing it is to be iced out of a glacier - one my first cruise we were scheduled only one glacier visit (Hubbard) and were iced out. If this is my only opportunity to go to Alaska, I would not choose Tracy Arm as the only glacier day as it is often iced out or even if your ship can get in, there is a higher percentage then people would think of ships that don't make it to the glaciers at the end.

If I was the OP - I would widen my search.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak to Alaska specifically because we have our first Alaskan cruise coming up. My cruise line preference though would be NCL. Our first cruise together was the Celebrity Zenith. It was nice, but definitely an older ship, food was good not great, service was acceptable. We've cruised twice on NCL and it is by far our favorite. We like the dining flexibility. My DH loves all the restaurant choices even with the up-charge for some. We both feel it has a more relaxed overall feel and superior service. I wouldn't rule out Celebrity if the itinerary was exactly what we wanted, but that being about equal I'd go with NCL.

I also noticed a lot of people here recommend Vancouver over Seattle. We are cruising out of Seattle on the Star. DH has several college friends in Seattle so it's a chance for us to tack on a couple of days and get in a visit. You might be able to expand your options if you have no real preference for Seattle over Vancouver.

My one experience with NCL was in Hawaii and although the ship was well maintained, the cabins were very small and the food was mediocre at best. Since I only use cruiseships as a floating hotel, I don't get hung up on the details of the cruise. I look for itinerary.

If you are open to Vancouver, HAL has a round trip that visits both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm Fjord.

If you are set on the two you listed, I would go for Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm because of itinerary.

In general the cruises that just go to Tracy Arm tend to be cheaper.

Archived