Bears in June?

dinomac

We saw two bears driving north of Skagway to the Yukon in early June this year (and a moose near Independence Mine at Hatcher Pass in the same time frame!):D In early June of 2008, we saw one on the beach in Juneau, digging for clams, while on our whale watching excursion. They're out there - just gotta keep your eyes open and your wits about you.

We did the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali National Park on June 8th of this year and had three separate and close up sightings of mother grizzly bears and their cubs. At the end of our cruise we took an excursion to Whistler in British Columbia and both on our way to Whistler and back to Vancouver we had close up sightings of black bears. It isn't too early but wildlife sightings can never be guaranteed.:)

Bears can be any place and anywhere. Just be excited if you see them and don't be disappointed of you don't. We saw several on the shoreline while we were on the ship and when we went on excursions to supposedly see bears, we saw none, go figure.

We are going to fly into Anan Bear Observ this time, so hopefully I will have better luck but still no guarantee.

Are you going to Denali Park??? That is your prime bear area opportunity. Anywhere else will be pure chance.

With Denali Park you HAVE to be getting INTO the park, with, at the VERY least a Tundra Wilderness tour if on a cruisetour, or better get the shuttle bus to Eielson- a major bear "area" between there and the TWT.

Yes... we will be on the TWT 6:00 a.m. Sounds like we will have a chance... that's great! Thanks everyone for your input!

You'll see bears. :) Necessary is a good pair of binoculars, I recommend 10 power.

I see plenty of bears in June, but there is a trick to it. I have a pair of 12X50 binocs. I scan the areas above timberline in the surrounding mountains. Black bears really stick out up there with no trees to hide behind. I have see as many as 3 at one time from the side walk in Seward, others from the deck of the cruise ships docked at Whittier and from the parking lot at one of the princess lodges. I always scan the high country for bears, sheep and goats. Usually I get rewarded.

Other than that, you never know when one will politely step out on the road for you. :D

If you are on the penninsula, there are a lot of trips that go out of Homer in June that you will see a lot of bears. I know they go over to Katmai NP. It is too early for the salmon to be swimming upstream so they don't go to Brooks but to Cook Inlet (I think). Anyway, I called and they said there would be a lot of bears when we will be there (june 18) so you can check into that if it works. K Bay Air and Emerald Air are two that come to mind.

We are on a 5 day land tour beginning July 19th and then we will cruise for 7 days beginning July 24th. What are our chances of seeing bears? We cruised the inside passage in July 2004 and saw no bears!

Are you on the Tundra Wilderness tour in Denali Park???? If so, you will very likely see bears. (I have never not seen bears in Denali) Binoculars are necessary.

we saw a couple of bears in Juneau and one along the Klondike HWY out of Skagway. They are at least 200-300 yards away. We saw some movement at distance. We were glad to take our 10x binoculars with us so we had some excellent viewing time for about 15min before they disappeared in the woods.

we saw black bears in Juneau and on our way to Denali parks. While driving, if you see some tourists on the side of road with some binoculars, it's always a good idea to stop and check out what they are looking at. ;) That's my shortcut to spot wildlife.

In June you should see bears but you likely won't see as many as you might otherwise see later in the season as berries ripen and salmon start to appear in the the rivers.

will ate August give a better chance to spot bears?

Archived