JFK Connection times

Lsimon

I'm checking here first since Cruise Critic is our favorite travel site.

I have to change plans for flights for our return trip from Barcelona and divert to another city to make a wedding. I think the cheapest way would be to use our American Airlines ticket to JFK (with change fee so we can change baggage destination) and then take a Delta flight to our new North Carolina destination.

Arriving from Barcelona at 1:55PM and the outgoing Delta flight is at 4PM. Is this doable? Tight connection? Easy? I have no idea how long it will take us to clear customs and such.

Will we have to pick up our luggage to clear customs or can we check it through to Charlotte NC if we can get AA to route it that way?

Well, it will be (I think) terminal 8 to terminal 2/3 (2 and 3 they are connected).

It will be tight even if your plane lands on time and AA will transfer your baggage. Passport control, customs, transferring to terminal 3, security is going to take time even at a low traffic time. If there were an alternative, I would certain not do this one.

It seems to be a MUCH better idea to convince the couple to move the wedding to Barcelona and extent your time there .. just gotta think outside the box.:)

I don't think AA will transfer your bags; this is your first port of entry into the US, so you will have to pick up your bags, go through passport control and immigrations and apparently change terminals. I agree that this will be very tight, and depending on the crowds that day, you won't be able to make it. I wouldn't do it.

As others have posted, you will have to go through immigration, customs, change terminals, recheck your luggage, etc. etc. Delta and AA have NO connections. You cannot put your bags on the transfer belt to be sent to Delta. You will have to check in WITH your luggage (even if you did OLCI, you STILL have to check your luggage with Delta) if your trip has a separate Delta ticket.

2 hours is NOT enough time.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like this isn't too workable.

Plan 2: There is a flight to North Carolina leaving from LGA at 7PM, that would give us 3 more hours between flights but require the ride from JFK top LGA, but it is on a Saturday at the beginning of October. Would be a hassle but at least it would get us there for the wedding the next day.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the advice, sounds like this isn't too workable.

Plan 2: There is a flight to North Carolina leaving from LGA at 7PM, that would give us 3 more hours between flights but require the ride from JFK top LGA, but it is on a Saturday at the beginning of October. Would be a hassle but at least it would get us there for the wedding the next day.

Any thoughts on that?

That would be fine. It generally takes about 1.5 hours to get off the plane, clear immigration, retrieve luggage and get through Customs.

So out the door you go into a cab. Allow an hour for the cab ride (should only be about 45 minutes).

That leaves you plenty of time to check in for your Delta flight.

Archived