Great cruise, but a shame on you Princess...please read the post before you get upset

musicgirl63

Awesome cruise on the CB!!!

I met up with a honeymoon couple from South Dakota in the gift shop. Long story short, they had a choice between making the ship or missing the ship with their luggage in hand.

This is not about trip insurance because they will actually get something for this.........

They were not allowed in the dining room on the 3rd night (casual) because the groom had no long pants to wear to dinner. He wore shorts the 1st night, they got him a tux for the formal night (she luckily carried on her long dress). The luggage did not arrive in Bermuda on time so that night he went in his khaki shorts (very nice shorts). They did not have the ability to purchase dress clothes on the ship due to the cost nor in Bermuda because they did need to buy other items as well (sun screen, a bathing suit for her) Hopefully you get the idea....they are newlyweds.

Even though they discussed the situation at the restaurant (anytime dining) they wouldn't let them in. Customer Service simply told them it is up to the matre'd what they will allow. I saw all kinds of people dressed way down who were let in......ie. a lady in cotton shorts and a t-shirt as well as her daughter.

Yes, they ate in the buffet restaurant with basically the same menu.....but

this was their honeymoon and it really sucked that their luggage didn't make it until later in the week. Would it really have been that bad too let him into the dining room with Khaki shorts on and a polo shirt that he had worn for 3 days straight??? They washed their clothes each night.

During our conversation I realized that he was about the same size as my husband, so we lent him a dress pair of pants, black socks and another polo shirt to make it to dinner until their luggage came.

We made some new friends and they got to see that there are some kind people in the world even if the thought of complete strangers lending you clothes seems a bit odd!!!

Come on Princess......little gestures count!!!!

Great weather, great cruise, great friends....report coming later

Although I understand they had a huge problem, when others see them come to the dining room for dinner, they have no idea that their luggage was lost, so others try it the next night (coming to dinner in shorts), and before you know it, many are also thinking it's acceptable. Their excuse? Well, that guy is wearing shorts, and the ball begins to roll downhill from there. So, I do see why Princess stuck to their guns on this one.

One thing I don't quite understand. If they gave him a tux to wear on formal night, why didn't he just put the tux pants on with his polo shirt, they would have let him in without a problem? Agreed, he might not have looked all that great but at least he would have had long pants on and been able to come into the dining room.

BUT, I am so happy you were able to help them out. I am sure they are very greatful to you for saving their dining experience. ;)

I think they will get to tell this story over and over, in the years to come...and that won't bode well for Princess :(

Good for you guys to help the couple out... it's nice to see that there are some kind people left in this world. The people we've met while cruising are the BEST!!! :D

It is very unfortunate that they did not have their luggage but I can't blame Princess for adhering to their proper attire policy.

My DH and I had our luggage misplaced by a cruise line and you guessed it, no clothes, zero except what we had on our backs. The cruise line (not Princess) provided a Tux and formal dress for my DH & I for Formal Night. I purchased a pant suit from the gift shop and a pair of pants and shirt for DH for the other dinners. The prices in the Boutique really weren't that much higher and I knew that have Insurance, we would be reimbursed.

This is another situation where Insurance is really necessary, as they could of purchased some clothes in port, and been reimbursed. If they did not have Insurance, then I guess he could of wore his Tux pants every evening for dinner. I have never seen men wear shorts in any dining room except for the Buffet out of all my cruises, not to say that there isn't.

Again, I am sorry for their experience, it is not pleasant but we didn't let it wreck our cruise. I just really can't blame Princess for adhering to their own policy, sorry.

Although I understand they had a huge problem, when others see them come to the dining room for dinner, they have no idea that their luggage was lost, so others try it the next night (coming to dinner in shorts), and before you know it, many are also thinking it's acceptable. Their excuse? Well, that guy is wearing shorts, and the ball begins to roll downhill from there. So, I do see why Princess stuck to their guns on this one.

One thing I don't quite understand. If they gave him a tux to wear on formal night, why didn't he just put the tux pants on with his polo shirt, they would have let him in without a problem? Agreed, he might not have looked all that great but at least he would have had long pants on and been able to come into the dining room.

BUT, I am so happy you were able to help them out. I am sure they are very greatful to you for saving their dining experience. ;)

From what I can understand from the whole thing, they thought that they would get the luggage in Bermuda so I believe it went back. I'm not sure of every detail though.

Princess did help in dealing with the airlines....so kudos there!!

It was funny because the groom had not met my husband. They actually figured it out when they basically ran into each other on the way into a show before I could introduced them. Weird huh?

Weirder....part of his family lives where I grew up and where my family still lives!!!! NE Ohio!

Awesome cruise on the CB!!!

I met up with a honeymoon couple from South Dakota in the gift shop. Long story short, they had a choice between making the ship or missing the ship with their luggage in hand.

This is not about trip insurance because they will actually get something for this.........

They were not allowed in the dining room on the 3rd night (casual) because the groom had no long pants to wear to dinner. He wore shorts the 1st night, they got him a tux for the formal night (she luckily carried on her long dress). The luggage did not arrive in Bermuda on time so that night he went in his khaki shorts (very nice shorts). They did not have the ability to purchase dress clothes on the ship due to the cost nor in Bermuda because they did need to buy other items as well (sun screen, a bathing suit for her) Hopefully you get the idea....they are newlyweds.

Even though they discussed the situation at the restaurant (anytime dining) they wouldn't let them in. Customer Service simply told them it is up to the matre'd what they will allow. I saw all kinds of people dressed way down who were let in......ie. a lady in cotton shorts and a t-shirt as well as her daughter.

Yes, they ate in the buffet restaurant with basically the same menu.....but

this was their honeymoon and it really sucked that their luggage didn't make it until later in the week. Would it really have been that bad too let him into the dining room with Khaki shorts on and a polo shirt that he had worn for 3 days straight??? They washed their clothes each night.

During our conversation I realized that he was about the same size as my husband, so we lent him a dress pair of pants, black socks and another polo shirt to make it to dinner until their luggage came.

We made some new friends and they got to see that there are some kind people in the world even if the thought of complete strangers lending you clothes seems a bit odd!!!

Come on Princess......little gestures count!!!!

Great weather, great cruise, great friends....report coming later

Wow! Even HAL let people in who didn't get their luggage. We were cruising with my BIL who decided he was going to wear his shorts. Entering the dining room they snagged him and sent him on his way.

When my wife and I sat down there were 2 guys scross from us who had on shorts.

My wife summoned the maitre'd and asked why they were allowed but not our BIL.

We were informed that their luggage didn't make the ship.

My opinion only but I think Princess could have bent a little on this one knowing they didn't get their luggage.

Like pouring salt into a wound.

Bill

Bill

I think they will get to tell this story over and over, in the years to come...and that won't bode well for Princess :(

Seriously?! And this from someone who has never sailed Princess! What nonsense!

I think it is great that you helped them out and you made new friends. Part of me understands why they didn't let him eat in that attire but another part of me thinks they should have cut him some slack (no pun intended).

Seriously?! And this from someone who has never sailed Princess! What nonsense!

I think it is great that you helped them out and you made new friends. Part of me understands why they didn't let him eat in that attire but another part of me thinks they should have cut him some slack (no pun intended).

Oh, you meant "cut him some slacks".

It is very unfortunate that they did not have their luggage but I can't blame Princess for adhering to their proper attire policy.

My DH and I had our luggage misplaced by a cruise line and you guessed it, no clothes, zero except what we had on our backs. The cruise line (not Princess) provided a Tux and formal dress for my DH & I for Formal Night. I purchased a pant suit from the gift shop and a pair of pants and shirt for DH for the other dinners. The prices in the Boutique really weren't that much higher and I knew that have Insurance, we would be reimbursed.

This is another situation where Insurance is really necessary, as they could of purchased some clothes in port, and been reimbursed. If they did not have Insurance, then I guess he could of wore his Tux pants every evening for dinner. I have never seen men wear shorts in any dining room except for the Buffet out of all my cruises, not to say that there isn't.

Again, I am sorry for their experience, it is not pleasant but we didn't let it wreck our cruise. I just really can't blame Princess for adhering to their own policy, sorry.

Fine, it you don't blame them for not adhering to their own policy, then they must be consistent. I saw so many people inappropriately dressed in the dining rooms for dinner on this cruise. How do you think it made that couple on their honeymoon feel when they were told no?

Just remember....they were newlyweds and didn't have the funds available to spend that kind of money on clothes from the ship or Bermuda. Yes, they would be reimbursed later, but if you don't have the extra cash or a credit card on file (which some people actually don't have!) how do you purchase the items? They had to buy all the basics like toothbrushes, toothpaste, sunscreen. That starts to add up and eat into the budget very quickly!

Cut him some slack (slacks)!!! :)

Clothes off of his back:D

Luckily my husband brought 2 pair of dress khaki pants and a number of shirts. He basically wore the pants for dinner and changed right after. He was helping me by packing less so I could pack more!!!:cool:

A story to tell for years to come...you bet!! And I think I get to be included as the crazy lady in the gift shop who loaned her husband's clothes!!!! Yes!!!!

Fine, it you don't blame them for not adhering to their own policy, then they must be consistent. I saw so many people inappropriately dressed in the dining rooms for dinner on this cruise. How do you think it made that couple on their honeymoon feel when they were told no?

Just remember....they were newlyweds and didn't have the funds available to spend that kind of money on clothes from the ship or Bermuda. Yes, they would be reimbursed later, but if you don't have the extra cash or a credit card on file (which some people actually don't have!) how do you purchase the items? They had to buy all the basics like toothbrushes, toothpaste, sunscreen. That starts to add up and eat into the budget very quickly!

I'm sure that you won't get everyone here to agree whether the action taken was reasonable or not. The problem is that the rules aren't consistently enforced. But the fact that there were others inappropriately dressed doesn't mean that the rules should just be thrown out. They need to be enforced consistently. As CALMOM said, I don't you can really blame Princess for enforcing the rules but at the same time, they shouldn't let some get away with breaking the rules and enforce them on others.

On the positive side, you were presented with an opportunity to help someone and you came through with flying colors! My hat off to you and sounds like you would be great people to cruise with.

While I feel very sorry for the couple, I also find it hard to blame Princess for not letting them in the dining room. (I do agree Princess should be consistent, however.)

Where I would lay the blame is with those posters who come on this board saying that they will claim they lost their luggage if anyone calls them on the fact they are not attired properly. Perhaps Princess is getting wise to this ploy.

I'd like to see Princess uniformly (ha, get it) enforce whatever dress code they deem appropriate. If someone claims they lost their luggage, Princess should have a few items available for loan -- after asking for your cabin number and verifying that in fact, the luggage did not make it onboard.

They didn't adhere to policy across the board. Others were allowed in shorts and t-shirt:confused: If ever there was a time to throw rules and guidelines out the window and replace it with kindness and compassion, would be now.

"Rules are guidelines for the wise and blind observance of fools" Even more foolish when you do it in a way that lacks consistency....Foolishness!

I did notice in the laundry room they had a basket for donated clothing as opposed to left items. They must be somewhere unless they donate to port familes????

Unfortunately rules are hard to enforce with inconsistency. But why does it always seem to be the ones who try to do the right thing get the short end of the stick? They were pretty calm about it and didn't make a scene at either the restaurant or at guest services. I saw many people go off about things so small it was ridiculous. Pool chairs....always an issue, but evidently according to some cruisers with us, if you leave your deck chair to actually go in the pool.....you lose you chair. Just saying!

Anyway, I hope Princess reads this. If someone didn't get their luggage, they would know at guest services because I'm sure that probably came up pretty quickly when the passenger checked in and I'm pretty sure the room steward would also have a pretty good idea if they were telling the truth. Put a sticker on their card or something. I don't think that many people would try to pull the "I didn't get my luggage" concept just to get out of dressing for dinner. I think they do it because they don't really care and will do it until someone stops them.

This is very different from my own experience. Our luggage didn't arrive until the 4th day when we were on our first Alaska cruise. Adults all had long pants, but DS wore shorts. We couldn't find any long pants in cruise stores that would fit him. The only port we have visited before the luggage arrived was Ketchikan. Has anyone ever tried to find a pair of nice long pants in Ketchikan? :rolleyes:

Well, we ate at the buffet at formal night. But we went to the dining room at casual night. Before we entered, I explained nicely to the staff that our luggage did not arrive. They said no problem and let us in.

Yes, we did learn our lesson. Now we always have spare clothes in our carry-on. ;)

They didn't adhere to policy across the board. Others were allowed in shorts and t-shirt:confused: If ever there was a time to throw rules and guidelines out the window and replace it with kindness and compassion, would be now.

"Rules are guidelines for the wise and blind observance of fools" Even more foolish when you do it in a way that lacks consistency....Foolishness!

I like this, I think.......it is very deep. ;) And just to let you know, I am a "rules" person. That is what I was taught by my mom. It is the rule and you follow it. It is a good concept., I teach it all the time at school. But I think most people would agree that there are times when rules can be bent in the right situations.

ie, I see my students (k-8) for 30 minutes each week. They need to use the restroom (next to my room) before they walk into my class. If I let one, then I have to let everyone else and it becomes very disruptive. It is the monkey see, monkey do issue. Now of course, when I see a student doing the "pee, pee" dance or other convincing motions (and you all know them), I am not about to follow that rule. The kids do very well with this and it really isn't an issue when someone really needs to be excused. They get it.

My dh and I were happy to help them out. It is amazing how a small gesture with little to no effort can mean so much to someone else. I know they will remember and someday when an unusual situation in which they can help someone out comes up, they will step forward.

So Princess, a small gesture such as bending the rule for a night or 2, would have really helped out these stressed honeymooners.

This is very different from my own experience. Our luggage didn't arrive until the 4th day when we were on our first Alaska cruise. Adults all had long pants, but DS wore shorts. We couldn't find any long pants in cruise stores that would fit him. The only port we have visited before the luggage arrived was Ketchikan. Has anyone ever tried to find a pair of nice long pants in Ketchikan? :rolleyes:

Well, we ate at the buffet at formal night. But we went to the dining room at casual night. Before we entered, I explained nicely to the staff that our luggage did not arrive. They said no problem and let us in.

Yes, we did learn our lesson. Now we always have spare clothes in our carry-on. ;)

I'm thrilled to hear this. That's how it should work!!!

About 20 years ago my 20 YO DD, brother and I did a Med cruise on the old Pacific Princess. For those that have been on it, its a small ship and the one and only store is tiny. I flew in a few days early with my brother so I had extra clothes but my DD was brining my cruise clothes and all of her clothes. Well, airline change in NYC and flight problems and she arrived and not our luggage. On the 12 day cruise we received our luggage on the 10th day. Back then hardly anyone ever took the cruise insurance, if they even had it. Long story short, this is what we learned: no tourist place off a ship sells underwear. My DD was about a size 6 and I was around size 10. We found basically one outfit that might have worked to wear and it was ugly and would have taken our whole budget. My DD had the clothes on her back, period.

Here's how we survived. Through the generosity of passengers and crew we made it. One lady lent her shoes. The girls that worked at the purser's desk were the best. One (who was the same size) took her down to her cabin and had her pick out things to wear. She checked with others and my DD had enough clothes to function until she got her clothes. They offered free laundry. The guy comes and says he'll have the laundry back in 24 hours. My DD looks him dead in the eyes and says, this is all I have to wear. I don't plan on going to dinner in the bathrobe so you WILL have my clothes back ASAP. The guy looks at her and says, yup I will. He takes her jeans and t-shirt to the crew laundry, pulls theirs out, does her and has it back to her in 1-1/2 hours. Everyone understood on board and emphasized with us and that helped. One night the waiters got the paper underwear from the spa and wore then over their pants while serving dinner. It was very funny. We made lemon out of lemonade with the help of crew and passengers alike. Oh, and we wore t-shirts every night, even formal night because that's all we had. Our tablemates were three ladies that were the most "high maintenance" we could have been paired with and probably had 50 elegant gowns between them. It was quite the contrast.

I agree because Princess bends other rules like letting those who booked traditional seating eat in anytime dining. They could have arranged for the couple to arrive early a few minutes before the dining room opened or late when it is starting to empty out and placed them at a table for 2. Once his legs were under the table and covered by the table cloth nobody would know he was wearing shorts. I actually walked right into the dining room wearing shorts. I wasn't eating I was just looking for someone in my party. I walked right past the podium and circled the dining room. No one batted an eye. There also seems to be a double standard for the way women are allowed to dress verses men. Sorry ladies even in the Caribbean you shouldn’t be allowed to eat in the MDR dressed like Mrs. Roper. The tie dyed house dress that you purchased while in St Thomas doesn’t go from day to evening unless you are wearing it to bed.

Archived