Great cruise, but a shame on you Princess...please read the post before you get upset

musicgirl63

It was very short sighted of Princess and yes, small things do mount up both for and against. Being newly weds and like most they probably did not have a lot of extra cash after the cost of the wedding (daddy does not always pay for all of it!), the honeymoon (cruise) and setting up a household. If they are like many they well may have had very large student loans to pay back. Looking back on my own experience money was tight for us as we were just starting our adult lives after being students. Thank you for sharing your clothes with them so they could enjoy their time more.

But I think most people would agree that there are times when rules can be bent in the right situations.

We are really on the same page. Rules are important and they are needed but there are times when we must let compassion take over. So, good job for showing yours.

I am still waiting for the maitre'd to tell Ms Paradeez that a band-aid across her chest is not considered a blouse. However, Mr Sixpak would not have a chance. Sorry, but the double standard and inequity are getting to me;)

Awesome cruise on the CB!!!

I met up with a honeymoon couple from South Dakota in the gift shop. Long story short, they had a choice between making the ship or missing the ship with their luggage in hand.

This is not about trip insurance because they will actually get something for this.........

They were not allowed in the dining room on the 3rd night (casual) because the groom had no long pants to wear to dinner. He wore shorts the 1st night, they got him a tux for the formal night (she luckily carried on her long dress). The luggage did not arrive in Bermuda on time so that night he went in his khaki shorts (very nice shorts). They did not have the ability to purchase dress clothes on the ship due to the cost nor in Bermuda because they did need to buy other items as well (sun screen, a bathing suit for her) Hopefully you get the idea....they are newlyweds.

Even though they discussed the situation at the restaurant (anytime dining) they wouldn't let them in. Customer Service simply told them it is up to the matre'd what they will allow. I saw all kinds of people dressed way down who were let in......ie. a lady in cotton shorts and a t-shirt as well as her daughter.

Yes, they ate in the buffet restaurant with basically the same menu.....but

this was their honeymoon and it really sucked that their luggage didn't make it until later in the week. Would it really have been that bad too let him into the dining room with Khaki shorts on and a polo shirt that he had worn for 3 days straight??? They washed their clothes each night.

During our conversation I realized that he was about the same size as my husband, so we lent him a dress pair of pants, black socks and another polo shirt to make it to dinner until their luggage came.

We made some new friends and they got to see that there are some kind people in the world even if the thought of complete strangers lending you clothes seems a bit odd!!!

Come on Princess......little gestures count!!!!

Great weather, great cruise, great friends....report coming later

It is a shame when luggage is lost and you don't have everything that you expected for the cruise but

I really don't understand anyone boarding a ship without a carryon (which are allowed on all airlines) . Everything that is needed for a week can be carried easily including suitable clothing for the entire week. You might get tired of wearing same clothes but you are prepared for any event.

I know I will get blasted for this comment but here goes.... I have done many cruises and it wasn't until reading cc and the majority of ppl going on about insurance that my dh to be and I purchased insurance for our first princess cruise. with that said, insurance isn't the answer to everything. With insurance is reimbercement (sp) so you have out of pocket cost. On one of our cruises there was a table near us where 3 couples showed up for dinner 2 nights in a row in shorts. People at our table kept commenting on why are they allowed in the MDR dressed like that. Finally the waiter told the table that their luggage didn't make the boat. Some ppl didn't let that go and continued on about it. Somehow they being in shorts didn't effect my dinner. Food was still great, service was still great so I guess I understand policy but if it doesn't effect me I do not care. Finally they got their luggage and the remainder of the trip the dressed accordingly but my point is.. getting upset over someone in shorts in the MDR at dinner is really small compaired to other things that could go wrong.

We had a totally different experience last October on the Caribbean Princess. We didn't fly to New York, but took a charter bus to the pier, so had no qualms about turning over our luggage to the porters at the pier. My luggage arrived, but none of my husband's (Except a few changes of underwear, and a T-shirt or two). My husband is 6'8" so not only did nothing in the shops fit him, but they didn't have formal wear to loan either. We couldn't even buy anything at our first port of call because it was cancelled due to weather. We had no trouble with the dining room as the supervisor at the pursers desk had called on our behalf and explained the situation. She was great! She even found a crew member the same size as my husband who loaned by husband a coat when we got to Boston so we could enjoy our shore excursion, and not worry about finding a store.

His luggage finally appear that night. We didn't ask for anything, but they gave us some OBC for our inconvenience.

I'm glad Princess provided a tux, but I agree Princess should have bent the rules. I have seen folks not following the dress code allowed into the dining room. Do I think they all didn't have their luggage, no way. I notice, but my souffle still tastes just as good. Good will goes a long way for future business.

THat is why I always carry 2 days 1 night set of clothing for all who travel.in my carry-on plus a bathing suit,flipflops and cover also nightwear

On Freedom OTS they lost my suitcase .Truthfully it was CLEARLY identified .They gave it to a lady with the same last name I met at the Meet& Greet THank God I mentioned I did not get it when she said it was in front of their cabin .I went to get it

RCI offered me a Tshirt and toothbrush for the first 2 days till I located it.WOW OH SO GENEROUS!!!!!!Thank God I had my stuff in my carry-on for the 2 days

We have had a number of people brag on these boards that they wear what they want and just say their luggage got lost and hasn't gotten to the boat yet. Maybe they are being real strict because of that

We have had a number of people brag on these boards that they wear what they want and just say their luggage got lost and hasn't gotten to the boat yet. Maybe they are being real strict because of that

They are lenient with the acceptance of less than the suggested clothing requirements in the DR's but not as far as shorts are concerned.

What I don't understand is why he just didn't keep the pants they lent him for the entire cruise.

It is a shame when luggage is lost and you don't have everything that you expected for the cruise but

I really don't understand anyone boarding a ship without a carryon (which are allowed on all airlines) . Everything that is needed for a week can be carried easily including suitable clothing for the entire week. You might get tired of wearing same clothes but you are prepared for any event.

This couple was inexperienced. I only started packing a carryon for each person traveling because of the stories I have read here about lost luggage and because of the airline's checked bag charges. I pack enough cloths in each bag to get buy on for a 7 day cruise. Having the self serve laundry would allow us to wear the same cloths more than once. The only problem would be not having anything to wear on formal night but I could live with that.

The rules must definitely change from one ship to another. We were on the Crown in January and did traditional dining. We saw a gentleman come in to the dining room, on a formal night, in shorts and a t-shirt. It appears that some ships are sticking to the rules and some aren't. On casual nights, there were lots of people in shorts and jeans and they were allowed in. If they allow this in the traditional dining, they should also be allowing it in anytime dining.

Darlene

but my point is.. getting upset over someone in shorts in the MDR at dinner is really small compaired to other things that could go wrong.

No blast from me. Some people just can't "Escape Completely". I truly feel sorry for them. They would probably have a better time on a Navy vessel where rules are enforced to the letter.

maybe it was their first cruise and they didn't know any better. Those lessons are learned through experience unfortunately.

Bill

Hi All,

As some one that has been there no luggage,

Princess will give you a small pack contains enough stuff for over night,

toothbrush, etc, I think includes white T shirt and socks.

However you also get on board money to buy clothes in store.

I was also offered the ships tailor to adjust a ships tux for formal night.

As to Princess following dress code they need to stick by the rules.

yours Shogun

I think you and your DH did such a nice thing.:)

I am not a big fan of the buffet, probably would have opted for Room Service. Except for the meal, they would have been fine otherwise.

I also agree that one needs to be consistant with the rules.:(

Although I understand they had a huge problem, when others see them come to the dining room for dinner, they have no idea that their luggage was lost, so others try it the next night (coming to dinner in shorts), and before you know it, many are also thinking it's acceptable. Their excuse? Well, that guy is wearing shorts, and the ball begins to roll downhill from there. So, I do see why Princess stuck to their guns on this one.

Maybe we should all try minding our own behavior instead of using other people's behavior to drive our own. Or maybe we should just give it the benefit of the doubt. Or both. If you see "that guy is wearing shorts" assume he has lost his luggage -- and if you have received your luggage, then his behavior has nothing to do with you.

I think Princess should have one dining room with no dress code and strictly enforce the dress code in the other dining rooms. That way those who want to where shorts or bib overalls or whatever can and they won't bother anyone since everyone dining with them agrees that everyone can wear whatever they want

Sounds like Princess really blew it here. And I agree if they allow t-shirts and jeans but on someone's special cruise no long pants don't get in to the fine dining room sounds like bad PR.

I'm sure the fashion police here are just dancing in the streets. :D

I have to think Princess should have done a gesture like cabin dining every night or something like that.

Awesome cruise on the CB!!!

I met up with a honeymoon couple from South Dakota in the gift shop. Long story short, they had a choice between making the ship or missing the ship with their luggage in hand.

This is not about trip insurance because they will actually get something for this.........

They were not allowed in the dining room on the 3rd night (casual) because the groom had no long pants to wear to dinner. He wore shorts the 1st night, they got him a tux for the formal night (she luckily carried on her long dress). The luggage did not arrive in Bermuda on time so that night he went in his khaki shorts (very nice shorts). They did not have the ability to purchase dress clothes on the ship due to the cost nor in Bermuda because they did need to buy other items as well (sun screen, a bathing suit for her) Hopefully you get the idea....they are newlyweds.

Even though they discussed the situation at the restaurant (anytime dining) they wouldn't let them in. Customer Service simply told them it is up to the matre'd what they will allow. I saw all kinds of people dressed way down who were let in......ie. a lady in cotton shorts and a t-shirt as well as her daughter.

Yes, they ate in the buffet restaurant with basically the same menu.....but

this was their honeymoon and it really sucked that their luggage didn't make it until later in the week. Would it really have been that bad too let him into the dining room with Khaki shorts on and a polo shirt that he had worn for 3 days straight??? They washed their clothes each night.

During our conversation I realized that he was about the same size as my husband, so we lent him a dress pair of pants, black socks and another polo shirt to make it to dinner until their luggage came.

We made some new friends and they got to see that there are some kind people in the world even if the thought of complete strangers lending you clothes seems a bit odd!!!

Come on Princess......little gestures count!!!!

Great weather, great cruise, great friends....report coming later

I am still waiting for the maitre'd to tell Ms Paradeez that a band-aid across her chest is not considered a blouse.

:D OK. You win, hands down for the funniest ting I've read on Cruise Critic!

To the OP: It was extremely kind of you to help this young couple out. Well done!

I think Princess should have one dining room with no dress code and strictly enforce the dress code in the other dining rooms. That way those who want to where shorts or bib overalls or whatever can and they won't bother anyone since everyone dining with them agrees that everyone can wear whatever they want

Princess does have that.......the Cafe Caribe and the Horizon Court..........the food is excellent, we actually prefer it over the dining room , there are a lot of other frequent cruisers that feel the same.

Princess does have that.......the Cafe Caribe and the Horizon Court..........the food is excellent, we actually prefer it over the dining room , there are a lot of other frequent cruisers that feel the same.

Although the buffet is OK and getting better all the time it doesn't compare to the food served in the DR. They should have one of the anytime DR's setup for casual / formal optional and the other DR for formal only dining on the formal nights. Given a choice I'd bet most of the Horizon & Cafe Carib people would select eating at the DR at diner time. Not everyone wishes to dress formally on a ship and they still want a decent sit down meal & not have to eat at a buffet.

Although the buffet is OK and getting better all the time it doesn't compare to the food served in the DR. They should have one of the anytime DR's setup for casual / formal optional and the other DR for formal only dining on the formal nights. Given a choice I'd bet most of the Horizon & Cafe Carib people would select eating at the DR at diner time. Not everyone wishes to dress formally on a ship and they still want a decent sit down meal & not have to eat at a buffet.

True for most......we however dress formal every nite (our choice) but still do not enjoy the dining room but love the buffet and cafe.......different strokes

This couple was inexperienced. I only started packing a carryon for each person traveling because of the stories I have read here about lost luggage and because of the airline's checked bag charges. I pack enough cloths in each bag to get buy on for a 7 day cruise. Having the self serve laundry would allow us to wear the same cloths more than once. The only problem would be not having anything to wear on formal night but I could live with that.

You are correct that this couple was inexperienced. They learned a few lessons, one being that they will be staying the night before the cruise in town!!!

Some people don't have time to spend researching every detail of a vacation for what to do about everything. Yes, you need to know what to expect but maybe you don't have time for the best tips.

Someone mentioned again about using the tux pants again. The thought was that their luggage would arrive on the first port day so I believe it was turned in only to realize too late that the luggage didn't get to that port before we left it. I'm sure they were enjoying the port all day and came back before dinner only to find out that there was no luggage delivered.

No blast from me. Some people just can't "Escape Completely". I truly feel sorry for them. They would probably have a better time on a Navy vessel where rules are enforced to the letter.

:D

To be honest, while I was dining I really didn't pay any attention to what anyone else was wearing unless it was something that really stood out, like the few young girls who forgot to wear ANYTHING underneath their way too short dresses!!

I agree what others wore was of no consequence to me. I would have enjoyed my meal if the table next to us were in their bathing suits. I would feel bad for the next group who might end up with damp bottoms of their own!:o

Archived