Great cruise, but a shame on you Princess...please read the post before you get upset

musicgirl63

Princess's approach seems more than reasonable to me. Last summer we flew British Airways to London before our British Isles cruise. Three of our family's four bags did not arrive at Heathrow. BA gave us each a bag with toothbrush and white T-shirt. Our 3 missing bags did not show up for four full days. (Fortunately we flew in a week early, so we had everything in plenty of time for the cruise). At least we had cross packed so we each had a little something in the one suitcase that arrived with our flight. But all we got out of BA was the T-shirt and toothbrush.

Given BA's ongoing labor dispute with cabin staff threatening more strikes, I'd say you were probably pretty lucky to get to London at all! You'd think they could do a bit better than a T-shirt and toothbrush as consolation! Pretty cheesy, I'd say.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Any Non-Formal dining night requires "Smart Casual" attire including Sail-Away dinner. It is even listed in the top corner of the Patter.

That's true about being casual dress BUT since many many people don't receive their luggage until a few minutes before sitting down to eat they allow anything to be worn in the DR including ragged jeans, shorts & anything else people travel in that wouldn't be allowed on any other evening except the last one. It impossible to enforce a rule when people haven't yet received their luggage. :)

Hope you enjoyed the buffet. ;)

I am still waiting for the maitre'd to tell Ms Paradeez that a band-aid across her chest is not considered a blouse. However, Mr Sixpak would not have a chance. Sorry, but the double standard and inequity are getting to me;)

Love your sense of humor.:D Miss you here on the Princess forums:cool:

We always pack a carry on for each of us that way if the big suit cases don't make it then we have enough clothes to get us through till they come. I bet they will do that from now on. Lesson learned.:eek:;)

After a terrorist attack, I believe on a flight to Detroit, in December 2009, the US banned all carry on luggage for passengers coming from Canada. When we flew from Alberta to Florida in January for our Coral cruise, we were not permitted any carry on luggage except absolute necessities. And they MEANT IT. There was even a restriction on the size of handbag a lady could carry. I believe the carry on restriction lasted for about a month. Actually, it was kind of nice on the flight, since nobody had anything in the overheads and getting off the plane took no time at all.

I was a little worried that our luggage would get lost, as I had no change of clothing with me.

However, all our luggage made it to the ship and we had a great cruise. What I'm saying though, is that, in our case, packing enough clothes in carry on would not have worked.

Also, Polo shirt and tux pants?

IMHO, in this case shorts and a polo shirt would be okay. He'd look like a real doofus in tux pants and a polo shirt (Kind of like guys in black knee socks, oxfords and shorts!)

Pearl

Don't want to add to everyone's stress on this issue but on our last cruise - Carib. Princess in March - formal night - there was a guy at the next table in a t-shirt that had some stupid wine saying on it. I asked our waiter about it and he said its out of our control. Weirdly enough the waiter had a tux on .....

Wow good thing the ship didn't sink. We all remember what happened when Molly Brown gave Jack her son's tux to wear. But really, aren't you allotting extra funds for excursions, duty free rum,cuban cigars, other purchases? If things are that tight maybe you don't go on a cruise. I'm a tough love kind of person, way to go princess.

Wow good thing the ship didn't sink. We all remember what happened when Molly Brown gave Jack her son's tux to wear. But really, aren't you allotting extra funds for excursions, duty free rum,cuban cigars, other purchases? If things are that tight maybe you don't go on a cruise. I'm a tough love kind of person, way to go princess.

Sometimes it's not that cut and dry. A few years ago...we ran into a honeymoon couple in Maui. Their family had arranged (and paid) their airfare and lodging but left all the other expenses to the two of them.

We ran into them at a Japanese Restaurant...and they literally were using a calculator to see how much they could spend for dinner that evening. They ended up splitting a meal. They were making the best of it and were a hoot...but money concerns do impact people...even on vacation.

I think what Musicgirl and her hubby did was a truly a generous thing. We saw the groom sporting her hubbies clothes and they fit great. Don't know too many people that would go out of their way to help someone like they did. I have to say there were many inconsistencies with the dress police. I saw a man entering the dining room for breakfast get turned away because he was wearing a nice looking tank top. I later watched 3 women enter the dining room for breakfast with spaghetti strap bathing suit cover ups. Not fair if you ask me. They should of given the newlyweds a little slack. They were a really nice, friendly couple.

I think what Musicgirl and her hubby did was a truly a generous thing. We saw the groom sporting her hubbies clothes and they fit great. Don't know too many people that would go out of their way to help someone like they did. I have to say there were many inconsistencies with the dress police. I saw a man entering the dining room for breakfast get turned away because he was wearing a nice looking tank top. I later watched 3 women enter the dining room for breakfast with spaghetti strap bathing suit cover ups. Not fair if you ask me. They should of given the newlyweds a little slack. They were a really nice, friendly couple.

Having been on many cruises now...it seems that women get away with way more "questionable clothing" in the MDRs than men. There is definitely a double standard there. I'll leave it at that.

So do we, however, they don't serve you in an elegant atmosphere with fine linens and china and 4-5 courses. Some how, I can't equate a Princess main dining room with Applebees.

Princess does not serve on fine china....and the dining rooms are FAR from elegant.....nice yes, elegant no. Its certainly no nicer than a nice local restuarant and only a notch over a chain like Applebee's, fine dining it isn't!

i sat with the young honeymooners twice during the cruise. what a lovely couple and he was in a vet who fought in iraq. they tried to make a joke out of all the things that happened to them. their delayed flights etc... they will definitely learn from this experience... they were the nicest people and you are great to have helped them out... good on you.

I am always touched and amazed at human compassion and spirit. Musicgal and others you have embodied those traits

Sadly, I am frequently disappointed at the mediocrity of human behavior. This thread has demonstrated both of those characteristics.

Sometimes it's not that cut and dry. A few years ago...we ran into a honeymoon couple in Maui. Their family had arranged (and paid) their airfare and lodging but left all the other expenses to the two of them.

We ran into them at a Japanese Restaurant...and they literally were using a calculator to see how much they could spend for dinner that evening. They ended up splitting a meal. They were making the best of it and were a hoot...but money concerns do impact people...even on vacation.

Reminds me of my honeymoon in Hawaii. We had splurged on a swanky hotel on Kauai. Usually we ate elsewhere, but one night decided to check out the restaurant there. Eye-opening prices for the food. So we ordered a lasagna ($6) and a tiramisu to split between ourselves. The waiter arrogantly pointed out that the lasagna was an appetizer. We replied, we know, we're just not that hungry. Fortunately, we aren't big eaters.

Back to the topic. As someone said, wouldn't you think that the passenger services desk, if they knew of this couple's plight, could have informed the maitre'd so that this couple could be admitted to the dining room without embarrassment.

Kuddos to you music girl.hope our paths cross if i ever need an angel to help me out.....shame on princess for not allowing them to enjoy their honeymoon..there had to be some way of notifing the other passengers of their plight maybe a little...... note in the patter that there is a couple who are on their honeymoon with no luggage who will be dinning in casual wear until their luggage arrives

i sat with the young honeymooners twice during the cruise. what a lovely couple and he was in a vet who fought in iraq. they tried to make a joke out of all the things that happened to them. their delayed flights etc... they will definitely learn from this experience... they were the nicest people and you are great to have helped them out... good on you.

Too bad Princess won't. The whole thing is a shame. But it was good preparation for married life as a military couple (speaking as one).

Maybe we should all try minding our own behavior instead of using other people's behavior to drive our own. Or maybe we should just give it the benefit of the doubt. Or both. If you see "that guy is wearing shorts" assume he has lost his luggage -- and if you have received your luggage, then his behavior has nothing to do with you.

Loved this post! Thanks for saying it so well.

We had a honeymoon couple at our table on the Grand Princess. Their travel agent had not warned them about formal nights, so the husband was not prepared. He wore a dark shirt with a tie both formal nights. I'm glad the maitre d' was not enforcing the dress code strictly, because we would have missed them.

On our upcoming cruise to Alaska, I'm feeling a little bit guilty in advance for what I plan to wear on formal nights: a sports coat, dress shirt, tie, and slacks. From the reports of people who have been on our ship this season, I won't be the worst dressed in the dining room on formal night.

Archived