Laminate Luggage Tags?

Cruzwthme

Now that I've printed my luggage tags for my upcoming Carnival cruise, I was wondering does anyone here laminate their tags before attaching them to your suitcase? If so, is this frowned uponed by Carnival? On our last cruise by the time our luggage made it to our cabin the tags were pretty much torn up.....I figured laminating them would help.

Also...if I laminate them, any suggestions on attaching them to my suitcases?

Thanks for whatever advice you can provide!:)

I have better things to do than making my own tags....the porters have plenty and it takes no time to get tags from them!

Really? I had no idea! I thought the luggage tags were color coded so it would be easier for them to locate which cabins to deliver the luggage to. Or....do the porters have color coded luggage tags?

Or........am I just clueless altogether? :p

Our Carnival tags were folded into thirds (If I remember correctly), and then we just put them through out luggage handles and stapled the ends. (someone had brought one of those small staplers) That worked well.

I have better things to do than making my own tags....the porters have plenty and it takes no time to get tags from them!

While it may not take any time to get the tags from the porters, you do have to take the time to fill them out and attatch them. I'd be willing to bet that I spent less time laminating my luggage tags than you spent filling out the blank ones from the porter.

And at least by laminating them I KNOW they won't fall off!

Now that I've printed my luggage tags for my upcoming Carnival cruise, I was wondering does anyone here laminate their tags before attaching them to your suitcase? If so, is this frowned uponed by Carnival? On our last cruise by the time our luggage made it to our cabin the tags were pretty much torn up.....I figured laminating them would help.

I'm not sure why you would think that laminating luggage tags would cause some concern for Carnival. As long as the tag is easily legible it is not going to cause Carnival any concern.

As to attaching them, I pre-punch the tags and bring cable ties with me.

Really? I had no idea! I thought the luggage tags were color coded so it would be easier for them to locate which cabins to deliver the luggage to. Or....do the porters have color coded luggage tags?

Or........am I just clueless altogether? :p

The tags supplied by Carnival are coded. However, as you pointed out, that just makes it easier. Some porters have color coded luggage tags and some just have generic luggage tags.

No matter what, the key is the cabin number. Get that right and the ship's staff will deliver it to your cabin. All the color coding does is divide the ship up into two or three sections (either forward & aft or forward, midship & aft).

Here is what works for us:

We fold them into thirds and "self-laminate" them with clear wide mailing tape. I use it to close the fold and a good piece over the whole thing. Then I punch a couple of holes in the ends of the tags. I only put them on when I am ready to head to the port (no need to let the airline tear them off) and put them on with zip ties which I buy for about a dollar per hundred at WMrt. I've never lost one yet.

Here is what works for us:

We fold them into thirds and "self-laminate" them with clear wide mailing tape. I use it to close the fold and a good piece over the whole thing. Then I punch a couple of holes in the ends of the tags. I only put them on when I am ready to head to the port (no need to let the airline tear them off) and put them on with zip ties which I buy for about a dollar per hundred at WMrt. I've never lost one yet.

And while you are at it, print out an extra luggage tag for each suitcase, and put it inside the suitcase, such that when the suitcase is open, there it is, staring whomever in the face. That way if the exterior tag does get pulled off, there is at least some ID with your stuff.

One other thought to consider, if you fold the luggage tags over the handle (rather than using zip ties as mentioned above), wrap them with the packing tape to hold them, rather than stapling. 1) staples pull out easily if the tag gets hooked on something and pulled, and 2) if the staple is not completely bent closed properly, or gets pulled and partially opened, it has the potential to cause a nasty gash on the porter's hand/finger, or yours, or when sitting on a luggage cart in a passageway, could catch the leg of someone brushing past, or snag on a pant leg or dress/skirt.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate it. I purchased a bag full of those little cable ties at Walmart today. I think I'll hole punch the tags after laminating them (I have a personal compact laminator here at the house, so it's quite convenient)......and I'll try it that way. I would think they'll do better this year than they did last year. I also printed them off on to cardstock rather than plain paper so I'll see how that works out. Again, thanks for all the great advice! :)

I just attached them in the airport after the flight and "taped" them with the little sticker they stick on your suitcase when you check the bag. Never had a tag fall off, never felt the need to laminate them. It's not like you need them to last until the trip home, I take them off as soon as the luggage arrives since when ti's time to debark, you get a new tag anyway.

Thanks all! Just fyi......for those that choose to laminate them....the cardstock was a bad idea. They're TOO stiff. So I ended up reprinting them on plain paper, then laminated.....and now they're very nice.

I know I don't have to go through all this.....I'm a scrapbooker so I guess it's just that part of me that doesn't mind. They were all mangled last year and because I have OCD that bothered me so this year I shouldn't be as bothered. :p

.....and yeah, yeah.....I see some of you rolling your eyes.:rolleyes: It's okay.....I'm just picky....and I know I'm not the only one like this. ;)

I have an abundance of clear heavy weight sheet protectors so I decided to give it a try. I folded the luggage tag as instructed, placed it inside the sheet, moved it over to sit against the side of the protector and cut the other side. I then taped the raw edge and the end. I then folded the tag over and stapled through the tag and protector (as I would around the handle of the suit case) to see how sturdy it would be. I don't think there is ANY way the staples can be pulled out. It really worked great. Just a thought for anyone who has extra protector sheets around.

I make my own luggage tags on business card stock, put them in a laminating sleeve for luggage tags and run it thru the laminating machine and attach the rubber loop. It says the exact thing that the paper tags say that they give ya. No problems.....

gg

• 2 weeks later...

Update - We laminated ours with clear packing tape, punched a hole in the corner, and used zip ties to attach them. Worked like a charm. Just one caveat, make sure you remember to take along a small jack knife, small scissors, or wire cutters, so you can get the darn things off when it comes time to leave the ship. (thank you Swiss Army Knife).

Update - We laminated ours with clear packing tape, punched a hole in the corner, and used zip ties to attach them. Worked like a charm. Just one caveat, make sure you remember to take along a small jack knife, small scissors, or wire cutters, so you can get the darn things off when it comes time to leave the ship. (thank you Swiss Army Knife).

I use a small zippered change purse containing small scissors and clippers that I place in an outside pocket of the suitcase. That way I can cut the plastic tie I use to secure the zipper, as well as cut away any tags as soon as the suitcase arrives in the cabin.

Thanks all! Just fyi......for those that choose to laminate them....the cardstock was a bad idea. They're TOO stiff. So I ended up reprinting them on plain paper, then laminated.....and now they're very nice.

I know I don't have to go through all this.....I'm a scrapbooker so I guess it's just that part of me that doesn't mind. They were all mangled last year and because I have OCD that bothered me so this year I shouldn't be as bothered. :p

.....and yeah, yeah.....I see some of you rolling your eyes.:rolleyes: It's okay.....I'm just picky....and I know I'm not the only one like this. ;)

Nothing worse than going on a different vacation then your luggage goes on.

Archived