Taxis from Rio airport to Copacabana

NDRB

I believe someone had mentioned earlier that the taxi fare from the Rio airport to the Copacabana hotels would be about $30- is this correct? How much would that be in Brazilian currency? The taxi drivers definitely won't accept US dollars?

Having been to Rio many years before, dealing with taxi drivers there was one of the very least favorite aspects of our trip and I'd like to avoid hassles as much as possible, especially with our luggage to contend with...

Is it a mistake to use one of the drivers lined up outside baggage claim, or do you have to go somewhere in the airport to have one summoned?

You do agree to a price before getting into the taxi? If they switch the meter on, it means trouble???

Nina

Nina ....... $30.00 US is about right for the distance to Copacabana, which is roughly 80 brazilian reais. We arranged a driver through our hotel and suggest you go this route. He did accept US $'s, but we also carried the local currency since most stores will only accept the real. If you cannot arrange a driver at the hotel, there should be a "central" booth at the airport for taxis.

I believe someone had mentioned earlier that the taxi fare from the Rio airport to the Copacabana hotels would be about $30- is this correct? How much would that be in Brazilian currency? The taxi drivers definitely won't accept US dollars?

Having been to Rio many years before, dealing with taxi drivers there was one of the very least favorite aspects of our trip and I'd like to avoid hassles as much as possible, especially with our luggage to contend with...

Is it a mistake to use one of the drivers lined up outside baggage claim, or do you have to go somewhere in the airport to have one summoned?

You do agree to a price before getting into the taxi? If they switch the meter on, it means trouble???

Nina

I was just in Rio in November and used USD for everything. Everything we did including Taxi's to airport,Cruise Terminal, Restaurants and Hotel on Copacabana. Never had a problem.

That sounds good about the use of US dollars, although we'll probably try to get a few Real at an airport ATM.

How much did the taxi cost to the cruise ship terminal and how long of a ride was it?

How were the safety concerns with transporting luggage, valuables, etc.?

Nina

That sounds good about the use of US dollars, although we'll probably try to get a few Real at an airport ATM.

How much did the taxi cost to the cruise ship terminal and how long of a ride was it?

How were the safety concerns with transporting luggage, valuables, etc.?

Nina

It was less then an hour and we paid around $30.

I was a little nervous when walkind around Copacabana as we saw people getting there purses stolen. People would come by on bikes and just grab it off their shoulder.

What cruise line are you going on?

Rio is a beautiful city...Have fun...

We;ll be on HAL...

So, what is one supposed to do with cameras and handbags in a city where crime is so rampant? My husband read (in travel books at Borders) that even little children will try to rob you and that if this happens, you should just hand over your purse/wallet as they frequently have guns!

He also read that one should carry a secondary wallet to just hand over to the thiefs when they rob you...

I'm beginning to have real doubts about our decision to spend two nights in Rio... It was bad in 1983, but not THAT bad!

Nina

Archived