Miami Hotel Recommendation??

Dpeeps

Well I made reservation for Puntino for Saturday Oct. 2. Can't wait to try it. I will be coming back to post my mini review of the restaurant.

Laura

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for awhile and just saw people's questions about the location of Puntino. If you walk out of the hotel lobby of IC, go to the left and cross the street (you will walk right under the People Mover). Puntino's is about a block or two away. It's literally a 2 minute walk. You can always call Puntino and double check the directions, but it's very easy. In fact, I would suggest anybody planning to have dinner there to make a reservation ahead of time as Snausman did. It's a small restaurant and as the night goes on, it gets very crowded.

We'll be planning dinner there before our February Eclipse cruise. Can't wait to go back.

Bon Apetit!

Jo-Ann

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for awhile and just saw people's questions about the location of Puntino. If you walk out of the hotel lobby of IC, go to the left and cross the street (you will walk right under the People Mover). Puntino's is about a block or two away. It's literally a 2 minute walk. You can always call Puntino and double check the directions, but it's very easy. In fact, I would suggest anybody planning to have dinner there to make a reservation ahead of time as Snausman did. It's a small restaurant and as the night goes on, it gets very crowded.

We'll be planning dinner there before our February Eclipse cruise. Can't wait to go back.

Bon Apetit!

Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann, after you go under the people mover on the other side of the street which way is it from there, left or right or straight ahead?? And thank you for the info!

Laura

I just tried LMT but couldn't find anything under $300. But then again, it isn't until January 28th so it may be too far out for the deals.

Same thing is happening to me, and I'm trying Dec. 30. I will keep checking and let you know when my date showes up if it does.

Jo-Ann, after you go under the people mover on the other side of the street which way is it from there, left or right or straight ahead?? And thank you for the info!

Laura

I believe it was straight ahead. My sister discovered this restaurant last year and was texting me photos of her food while she was eating! When we cruised with her family a couple of months later, she said we absolutely had to go there for dinner. So when we left the hotel, I just sort of followed her and didn't pay that close attention. And after dinner, the vino I consumed left my brain a little cloudy!!!LOL But as I recall, once you cross the street and go under the people mover, I think it was straight ahead. It definitely wasn't to the left and I don't remember turning right, so my best guess is straight ahead.

Jo-Ann

[quote name='drarill']Hello everyone:
We will like to book the IC with lastminutetravel for our Jan.2nd Allure cruise. Does anyone knows when the IC will show up on LMT? Right now they are not offering anything on the Downtown area. I tried a different date and the IC showed up. Will appreciate any help.
Have a good weekend.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you want a hotel in Miami if Allure leaves from Ft lauderdale? Why not stay there?

I see the Intercontinental is available for the night before my cruise, and I'd like to book it, but I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale and unsure if there's any inexpensive way to get to the hotel from that airport? I checked a shuttle service and they wanted $79! I'd like to find a shared ride shuttle, but none of the ones I googled seemed to go from Ft. Lauderdale airport to a Miami hotel?

Any suggestions from those of you who've done this?

Thanks!

[quote name='jerseygirl3']I believe it was straight ahead. My sister discovered this restaurant last year and was texting me photos of her food while she was eating! When we cruised with her family a couple of months later, she said we absolutely had to go there for dinner. So when we left the hotel, I just sort of followed her and didn't pay that close attention. And after dinner, the vino I consumed left my brain a little cloudy!!!LOL But as I recall, once you cross the street and go under the people mover, I think it was straight ahead. It definitely wasn't to the left and I don't remember turning right, so my best guess is straight ahead.

Jo-Ann[/quote]

Jo-Ann, thanks you are a doll for giving such great instructions. I am looking forward to having dinner here. I am guessing but it sounds like to had a good time and a good dinner??

Laura

[quote name='Marie51']Are you sure you want a hotel in Miami if Allure leaves from Ft lauderdale? Why not stay there?[/quote]
We want to stay in Miami for several reasons. First we are flying to Miami, where we have many friends. My son wants to go to a Miami Heats game on January 1st and I want to go shopping in the Miami area. We are going to rent a car in Miami and will return it in Ft. Lauderdale. I also thought about staying in Ft. Lauderdale, maybe I will change my mind.

[quote name='drarill']We want to stay in Miami for several reasons. First we are flying to Miami, where we have many friends. My son wants to go to a Miami Heats game on January 1st and I want to go shopping in the Miami area. We are going to rent a car in Miami and will return it in Ft. Lauderdale. I also thought about staying in Ft. Lauderdale, maybe I will change my mind.[/QUOTE]

I understand. When I needed a hotel pre-cruise The Intercontinental never was offered on LMT and I ended up booking the Hyatt for $89. So it's possible that the IC might never be offered for your dates.

[quote name='Marie51']I understand. When I needed a hotel pre-cruise The Intercontinental never was offered on LMT and I ended up booking the Hyatt for $89. So it's possible that the IC might never be offered for your dates.[/quote]
Marie: thanks!! I'm going to book it on Expedia and if it is ever offered on LMT then we will cancel the other reservation.

[quote name='beanbeaner']I see the Intercontinental is available for the night before my cruise, and I'd like to book it, but I'm flying into Ft. Lauderdale and unsure if there's any inexpensive way to get to the hotel from that airport? I checked a shuttle service and they wanted $79! I'd like to find a shared ride shuttle, but none of the ones I googled seemed to go from Ft. Lauderdale airport to a Miami hotel?

Any suggestions from those of you who've done this?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

We've used SAS Shuttle service. It's $15/pp. They pick you up at FLL and will take you to the hotel in Miami. I also made arrangements for them to pick us up at the port and take us back to FLL after the cruise.

Looks perfect! thanks, Jerseygirl.

[quote name='jerseygirl3']We've used SAS Shuttle service. It's $15/pp. They pick you up at FLL and will take you to the hotel in Miami. I also made arrangements for them to pick us up at the port and take us back to FLL after the cruise.[/quote]

[quote name='las313']Looking for a hotel to stay the night before cursing on the NCL Epic on 1/23 from Miami that we can leave our car there for the week. And get a ride to the port. Any suggestions???
Louise[/QUOTE]

Louise...are you shure it's the 23rd cuz we get off her on the 22nd!!!;)

I have been looking at LMT for our cruise in March, I know it's not exactly last minute travel. I wondered though if March 18th is particularly busy. The 5* rate for downtown is $162, which is higher than my budget. Should I wait a while, or is this what I'll pay for spring break time?

[quote name='BDMom']I have been looking at LMT for our cruise in March, I know it's not exactly last minute travel. I wondered though if March 18th is particularly busy. The 5* rate for downtown is $162, which is higher than my budget. Should I wait a while, or is this what I'll pay for spring break time?[/QUOTE]

If this is for the Intercontinental Hotel, grab it for that price. March is peak spring break time, so I can't see you doing any better than that.

Jo-Ann

[quote name='snausman']Jo-Ann, thanks you are a doll for giving such great instructions. I am looking forward to having dinner here. I am guessing but it sounds like to had a good time and a good dinner??

Laura[/QUOTE]

We had a wonderful dinner! One entree I could highly recommend is the homemade ravioli stuffed with jumbo crabmeat in a light vodka sauce. Outstanding!!!

Jo-Ann

Here is a copy of the review I did of Puntino's restaurant when we returned:

Okay, so I have mixed feelings about sharing info about this little gem of a restaurant. I fear it will become overrun with Cruise Critics and I'll never be able to get a reservation again! Well, given the fact that I am so altruistic, I will take my chances and tell you all about this wonderful restaurant.

My sister is actually the one who stumbled upon it about 6 weeks ago while she was staying at the Intercontinental Hotel Miami. The hotel didn't recommend it (tsk, tsk...they really should), but she found it on her own. Anyway, while she was eating dinner, she kept texting me and sending me photos of each course, raving about how wonderful the food was. Since we knew we'd (DH and I and my sister, her DH, and their 9-year-old twins) be meeting up in Miami last week for two night precruise to the Celebrity Century, we just had to make a dinner reservation there.

We stopped in the day before while we were out walking around to make a reservation. The staff could not have been more accommodating. They gave us the time we wanted and even asked if we had a preference where we'd like to sit. Having taken of that, we eagerly awaited our dining experience for the following evening.

We arrived at 7 p.m. to find our lovely table waiting. White linen table cloth, linen napkins, short little vases with red roses and tealight candles added to the ambiance. We started with a bottle of cabarnet sauvignon, which was lovely. Now for the best part...the food! And folks, this ain't "Olive Garden" Italian food...this is authentic Italian!

Among the appetizers we selected were:

Zuppa Di Cozze - Sautee of fresh mussels, fish broth, extra virgin olive oil, fresh garlic, white wine, parsley and crushed red pepper served with homemade crostini bread. To die for! The mussels were small and tender, with loads of flavor. A winner!

Frittura Di Pesce - Tender squid rings and shrimp, lightly floured and fried. Served with spicy Italian marinara sauce. Outstanding!

Also ordered Bruschetta Puntino that was excellent, and another appetizer that consisted of fresh mozzarella with imported Parma prosciutto that was buttery and just melted in your mouth, along with freshly toasted French baguette.

For our main course, our orders went something like this:

Lasagna for the kids. My sister asked the waitress if she would kindly split the dish and not let the kids know they were sharing, and this was happily done. We weren't even charged for sharing a dish and the kids were none the wiser!

Ravioli Al Granchio - Homemade ravioli filled with jumbo crab meat and lemon zest and served in a light pink sauce. So plentiful we all had a taste and there was still leftover.

Rigatoni All 'Amatriciana - with Italian bacon, onions, fresh tomatoes and pecorino cheese. So flavorful, each and every ingredient burst in your mouth.

Pennette Funghi - Penne pasta with sauteed mushrooms and truffle oil, served with a creamy tomato sauce. My sister's favorite and oh so flavorful. This one's a keeper!

Although not on the menu, we asked for a big plate of linquine and lots of fresh fish. The staff happily complied and served a huge platter of perfectly cooked (al dente) linguine with mounds of shrimp, scallops, clams, mussels, squid. All this with a "just right heat" fra diavolo marinara sauce

Along the way, we also had a couple more bottles of vino (Sangiovese and more Cab Sav).

This dinner was not just outstanding food and service, but an entire experience. The chef came out and introduced himself. The owner was absolutely charming (and much younger than I expected) and told us his family owned several restaurants in Italy, most notably in Naples and Rome (if I recall correctly, by this time the wine was flowing...LOL). We even got to meet the artist who did all the artwork for the restaurant (pop art to the extreme, what a talent he is). His name is Leonardo Hidalgo and he hails from Equador. If you get a chance, google him and check out his artwork...he is crazy talented!!!

Our dining experience lasted approx. 3 hours (per our request). Of course, if you prefer a speedier meal (but why would you?), it wouldn't take that long. We were too stuffed for dessert, but I have no doubt those selections are all winners as well.

You would expect that the prices for a Miami downtown restaurant of this quality would break the bank...but you would be wrong! When you check out the prices, I think you'll be happily surprised at how affordable it is to eat at Puntino.

I am putting the link to this restaurant so others can partake of this gustatory feast the next time they are in Miami. It is located just a block from Bayside Marina, so it's easily accessible and in a safe area for walking.

I would like to thank Cristoforo Pignata and his staff for the wonderful attention to detail provided us on this most memorable evening. We will surely make this a mandatory stop on every future visit to Miami!

[url]http://puntinodowntown.com/[/url]

Mangia!!!

Jo-Ann

I noticed the great information for lastminutetravel.com for a hotel near the Miami port. When I try to get a room for the date I need the only thing that comes up as an option is in South Beach or Middle Beach not Downtown. Am I doing something wrong or do you think that my date (12-25) is just not availalable for the Intercontinetal which is considered downtown?

[quote name='jerseygirl3']If this is for the Intercontinental Hotel, grab it for that price. March is peak spring break time, so I can't see you doing any better than that.

Jo-Ann[/QUOTE]

How would one know it is for the Intercontinental?

[quote name='jerseygirl3']We had a wonderful dinner! One entrée I could highly recommend is the homemade ravioli stuffed with jumbo crabmeat in a light vodka sauce. Outstanding!!!

Jo-Ann[/quote]

OMG, that was the entrée that I was checking out on the website. I was telling my DH that it sounds wonderful. I do believe that is what I will be having.

Laura

Archived