PG Reviews - June 26, 2010

AnglerGirl

The DW just said "Tell them we are game IF THEY ARE!"

We agreed that the village was a convergence of demented (but highly entertaining) individuals. I really hope that we can recreate this experience!

Also, we haven't rec'd your email if you sent it.

you have a FB msg

Apparently the flag bearer and I had enough coconuts to not notice the bathing suit bottom being on inside out. That is hilarious. We sat next to you on a lounge chair, and spent time floating on the rafts with you and little sister (again without Tattoo Boy's assistance) and still didn't notice the bottoms; not even on the last tender back to the ship. If Chicago and his dear wife weren't so adorable and sweet, I might think it was not nice to remind you of the great bathing suit incident.

I am sad to report that the village flag is sporting a new bike grease stain. DH is VERY concerned. I am working on it, but if it doesn't come out, I really don't think it will prevent it from being planted in the sand, billowing in the wind, and calling out to it's people.

:)

We have an entire photofile of you two. It's hilarious. You'll hear from me soon.

Just trying to gather information and would like to book ASAP assuming we need to. A few questions:

1. We received a Vantage Travel book and the fee is lower than the PG site in that the Society and Tuamotus trip also would include a 2 night stay at the Sofitel Hotel in Papeete at the end of the trip. Some reviews when I did a google search said that Vantage has problems. Did any of you go through Vantage or direct with PG?

2. We are considering March. How's that time of year?

3. I cannot swim now as I have a balance disorder. My husband is thinking of bringing his own snorkel gear and doing one paid dive. Will there be stuff for me to do? I am ok to sit on a beach and read or go for walks if it is safe.

4. One person suggested the 7 day cruise and then 7 days in Moorea. Is that a good first trip thing to do? Where to stay in Moorea?

5. HOw many suitcases? Did you bring your own power strip?

I really appreciate any tips. We learned a lot here before our last cruise in the Mediterranean.

Hello!

Let me offer my opinion:

1. I don't know about Vantage

2. I have been told by the many repeat visitors that the weather doesn't vary all that much. We went during the winter "dry" season and it rained all but 3 of the 11 days at some point. It was always nice for at least 2-3 hours per day which is about all the sun most of us could handle at one time anyway. It never ruined any of our plans. Most rain was in the morning and created stunning rainbows to view from our veranda or any of the breakfast areas on the ship.

3. Everything sure felt safe to me. There is a nice beach in Bora, Bora for reading (if the private beach the PG is closed as it was with us) you can reach by the ship’s shuttle. Riatea is nice for a walk as it has several docks to peruse and look at the boats. There are also several shops and restaurants just off the dock from the boat. You can walk to the beach in Rangiroa.

You might want to consider taking the ATV tour in Moorea. My husband and I took that tour and they had the largest ATV's we have ever been on. They were very comfortable 2 seaters with a nice back rest and good side grips. If your balance issue prevents you from driving the ATV, your husband could drive and you could ride. It is one fee for 2 people on the same ATV. That would allow you to see the mountain vistas, pineapple plantation, and a historical site. It would give you a different perspective of the islands other than the shore line.

Unless your husband really needs his own special snorkeling gear, I'd leave it at home. It is bulky to pack and the ship gives you theirs to use free of charge for the entire trip. You can exchange any gear that isn't working for him.

4. I think a stay in Moorea would be fun, it is quite beautiful. Everyone cautions about the cost, however, and I think it might be boring after 3 nights. I'd consider a 11 day PG cruise and a shorter stay in Moorea or Bora-Bora.

5. My husband insisted that we take the 11 day with only our carry on suitcase and personal bag. Seriously! We flew with only our carry-on bags. I think we were the only ones.that crazy. It worked, but it was a challenge. I'd personally skip the power strip. The internet is spotty and slow enough that I can't imagine needing it. We charged our camera, DH's iphone, and our computer with just what was in the cabin. Two items charging at a time was enough.

Angler Girl,

my email is miriamdcunhaatyahoodotca.

Let me know whether you are getting a group together. I understand that for every 8 people ( 4 cabins) one person is free per PG phone line.

Husband says since its the well loved PG we can try and make it happen.

Miriam

Angler Girl,

my email is miriamdcunhaatyahoodotca.

Let me know whether you are getting a group together. I understand that for every 8 people ( 4 cabins) one person is free per PG phone line.

Husband says since its the well loved PG we can try and make it happen.

Miriam

Just in May is was a huge 5% additional discount for every 10 people!Your group needs to command the FREE upgrades that are available if your willing to play the game.

PG is terribly desperate now!They have an abundance of available inventory which currently exists within their itineraries.Utilize negotiation techniques that will get you the results you deserve!

June 26'ers:

Although I have yet to be on my first cruise ever and am ANTICIPATING (despite certain curmudgeons) the trip of a lifetime.....what do I have to do to join the 2011 reunion tour? I ask this in advance in the event that you need testimonials from bartenders (with whom you seem well acquainted), compromising pictures of me on the motu with my swim suit turned inside out OR other evidence of my overall affability and suitability to be considered for inclusion with such a distinguished (??) group.

mariah

June 26'ers:

Although I have yet to be on my first cruise ever and am ANTICIPATING (despite certain curmudgeons) the trip of a lifetime.....what do I have to do to join the 2011 reunion tour? I ask this in advance in the event that you need testimonials from bartenders (with whom you seem well acquainted), compromising pictures of me on the motu with my swim suit turned inside out OR other evidence of my overall affability and suitability to be considered for inclusion with such a distinguished (??) group.

mariah

Mariah:

Cranky folks aside, you will have a wonderful trip. I only spotted two folks sporting bad attitudes on the entire ship. Do you have your new sail date?

First, let me tell you that I am not certain that my DH and I would be able to afford this journey again all that soon, but if we could we would be there in a heart beat. The people were truly joyfully, nuts - our kind of people.

I know I can speak for the entire 6/26 crowd when I say that we'd would be delighted (one and all) to have you in our company. We discussed you and your cancelled journey on many occasions and recounted your grace in wishing us well on our trip inspite of your adversity. It was touching and very big of you, we'd all died a little inside when you had to turn home. We toasted you at least three times I am aware of. You are already an honorary 6/26 er. That said, we'd be even more endeared to you if you were to submit a little self-deprecating or incriminating something.

Mariah, there's no tipping on the ship, and in general out on the islands tipping is deprecated. But in Papeete, and to some extent Bora Bora, the service people have gotten used to it. So you're free to tip in those cases.

As for the reunion cruise, I suspect we will wait until 2012 to go again, if then. David's probably retiring that year, so maybe a special trip might be in order, but so many places to go and see!

:)

We have an entire photofile of you two. It's hilarious. You'll hear from me soon.

The promotional literature from the PG has been rolling in since our return via e-mail and snail mail. I'm surprised that they might actually want us back on board. Perhaps Miss Finn and the Good Doctor put in a nice word for us? :D

Okay Villagers, I have to ask...

As beautiful as FP is, why the exclusive on travel there when there is so much more world to explore? I love the PG and hope to go back some day, but I don't think all the time. Why not mix it up a bit with a few other Villagers somewhere else on a similiar ship through Regent or Silverseas - same crowd, new venue? For instance there are iteneraries on super lux ships, newer, with "butlers for everyone" to exotic locales like Mumbai/Dubai or Istanbul/Athens or Bangkok//Singapore or Barbados/Rio de Janeiro etc., for PG prices, all inclusive, including air + $500 spending credit. Mighty tempting, we could pretend we were the newlyweds on a 11 week honeymoon if we went to Dubai. The people made 6/26 what it was as much as the locale.

I totally agree with your last comment. There's a whole world out there AND a whole U.S.A. Its was really the ship experience and the people. The water experience was the icing on the cake. I always wanted to return to Moorea and now I have so that is a check mark on my bucket list. I think if the July 26ers could possibly agree on a destination, it would be fun no matter what we do or where we go! Even rent group lodging somewhere with a party room. My opinion.

As beautiful as FP is, why the exclusive on travel there when there is so much more world to explore? I love the PG and hope to go back some day, but I don't think all the time. Why not mix it up a bit with a few other Villagers somewhere else on a similiar ship through Regent or Silverseas - same crowd, new venue?

That's what we've been doing for 10 years, mixing it up. We'll be on our 10th Regent trip this December, nothing exotic, just the Caribbean. Only about half our Regent days have been on the PG! Not quite the same crowd as the PG, however, not usually. Rio, Istanbul, Athens, Lisbon, Bordeaux, Yalta, etc. But the PG has beckoned to us, regardless. We'll see about the future.

I agree. It's a great idea. I am open to a new village! Especially one which I'm not constantly having to work all day! Between running tours, tying pareos and and pouring champagne, I deserve some pampering. If I must go to Dubai, so be it. :D

Actually I have a budget meeting I'll have to attend but am interested in what you are proposing. Regent also has some good deals in the Caribbean. But south America is on my mind too! LOLl

As beautiful as FP is, why the exclusive on travel there when there is so much more world to explore? I love the PG and hope to go back some day, but I don't think all the time. Why not mix it up a bit with a few other Villagers somewhere else on a similiar ship through Regent or Silverseas - same crowd, new venue? For instance there are iteneraries on super lux ships, newer, with "butlers for everyone" to exotic locales like Mumbai/Dubai or Istanbul/Athens or Bangkok//Singapore or Barbados/Rio de Janeiro etc., for PG prices, all inclusive, including air + $500 spending credit. Mighty tempting, we could pretend we were the newlyweds on a 11 week honeymoon if we went to Dubai. The people made 6/26 what it was as much as the locale.

I must admit that I too mix it up but I have seen most of the world and my heart is in FP.

So I am always willing to go again there.

I would in any event prefer a winter visit to FP thus giving us a chance to get away from the cold for a bit.

Hated Dubai other than the architecture, though.

I must admit that I too mix it up but I have seen most of the world and my heart is in FP.

So I am always willing to go again there.

I would in any event prefer a winter visit to FP thus giving us a chance to get away from the cold for a bit.

Hated Dubai other than the architecture, though.

How about South America either Rio or something more exotic like the Amazon?

Been to much of South America but not to the Amazon. The cruises there tend to be longer - at least 15 days and very often 18 to 25 days so that will have to wait until I retire. Also I am not totally convinced that I want to do the Amazon on a regular cruise ship - there are a couple of smaller expedition ships that I may consider. Havent been to antarctica but not ready to go there at this time.

Tomcruises the Galapagos trip is a wonderful experience as well especially if you like nature and wild life.

My heart's been in FP for 10 years now too, but my flu is in remission at the moment. Our Regent Caribbean 7-day this December is a fraction of the cost of going on the PG (when you factor in air, etc.)

I'm also looking at trying to make it to the Cook Islands at some point, not on the PG, an independent trip. Looks hugely cheaper than FP.

Gosh, who wakes up taking nasty pills every darn day.

Thanks for the dubai input...I lived in Iran for awhile and wouldn't be wild about about a trip to dubai and have a sense that it's unbridled consumerism but I may be wrong. Love to hear more...

Mustang...thanks for the kind words allowing me to join your kabbalah..... I love to feel and hear the fabulous experience and fun you guys had. Thought of you often out in the blue seas and glad you had a libation in my memory.

I leave Friday for LA and then Saturday is the day (knock on wood, pray to allah....) that i join the ranks of PG alumni and honorary 26'er>>>

mariah

I wish you a wonderful sailing! You certainly deserve it. If you get the pleasure of meeting Randy (server, waiter), Alicia (bartender) and Pia (call her Miss Finn) at the Travel Desk., please mention that the sisters from Florida say hello.

Since you're an honorary 26'r, does anyone (SSS, Tatt, Mtn, Monie, Ocean?) have your email addy? I know Monie is looking into a rehabilitation (reunion) trip next year and I'll have the final cost for the trip I've been working on in Fiji for next June. Would love to include you on the details.

My heart's been in FP for 10 years now too, but my flu is in remission at the moment. Our Regent Caribbean 7-day this December is a fraction of the cost of going on the PG (when you factor in air, etc.)

I'm also looking at trying to make it to the Cook Islands at some point, not on the PG, an independent trip. Looks hugely cheaper than FP.

Wendy, I'm going to reach out to Fred and Pat about this Fiji trip and will ask them to forward you the info as well. :)

Ocean Hills,

Send me an email and I will tell you about Dubai. My email is in an earlier post.

This will not offend Tomcruises!!

I'll speak for this village. We would love to read about your experience in Dubai here. Please, proceed.

Gosh, who wakes up taking nasty pills every darn day.

Thanks for the dubai input...I lived in Iran for awhile and wouldn't be wild about about a trip to dubai and have a sense that it's unbridled consumerism but I may be wrong. Love to hear more...

Mustang...thanks for the kind words allowing me to join your kabbalah..... I love to feel and hear the fabulous experience and fun you guys had. Thought of you often out in the blue seas and glad you had a libation in my memory.

I leave Friday for LA and then Saturday is the day (knock on wood, pray to allah....) that i join the ranks of PG alumni and honorary 26'er>>>

mariah

Hip, Hip, Hooray!

I am so pleased to hear that your trip is pending - oh so very exciting! I hope you have signed the roll call so you are aquainted with a few people prior to your trip. That brought our crazy crew together and added so very much to our enjoyment.

May you have a most magnificent journey filled with stunning rainbows, calm blue seas, a multitude of dolphins, beautiful fish, and coconut drinks. If you head over to the pool bar I believe you will be in the company of the ghosts of the 6/26.

Cheers!

Archived