Please tell me about brunch

Jo and Rob

I have noticed that Celebrity offer brunch on some sea days and I would like to know your experiences. My first reaction is disappointment, that there isn't a breakfast that morning in the MDR as we always love big breakfasts on holiday. My question is how does it work? Is it waiter service and is the menu the same as the breakfast menu? What additional items are there? Do you see the brunch as a highlight of the cruise and if so why?

We had the brunch on the Equinox last December. It was a buffet with both breakfast and lunch things. It was very nice - sort of like the fancy midnight buffet cruise lines used to have, only at 11:00AM. There were waffles and crepes, lots to eat.

I have noticed that Celebrity offer brunch on some sea days and I would like to know your experiences. My first reaction is disappointment, that there isn't a breakfast that morning in the MDR as we always love big breakfasts on holiday. My question is how does it work? Is it waiter service and is the menu the same as the breakfast menu? What additional items are there? Do you see the brunch as a highlight of the cruise and if so why?

They do not have waiter service except for drinks. It reminded me of the old Midnight Buffets, slightly smaller than they used to be with more breakfast items...

They do not have waiter service except for drinks. It reminded me of the old Midnight Buffets, slightly smaller than they used to be with more breakfast items...

We are quite new to cruising and have never had a midnight buffet, so I can't quite visualise it.

There will be lots of special stations -- shrimp displays, carved meats, probably lots of decorative fruits and veggies, ice sculptures, maybe a chocolate fountain. It's a little different on each ship. Usually they do it once per cruise.

There will be lots of special stations -- shrimp displays, carved meats, probably lots of decorative fruits and veggies, ice sculptures, maybe a chocolate fountain. It's a little different on each ship. Usually they do it once per cruise.

Love that chocolate:D they have the fruit on skewers and you can

put it under the chocolate....drips over it.....YUMMY:D

I know I'm in the minority, but for us the brunch was a great opportunity to try Bistro on 5 for the first time. We stepped into the MDR, saw how congested the food stations were, and turned right around. The only time I every felt crowded on the entire cruise.

It's a buffet and it's awesome and no brunch is not a highlight of a cruise.

We are quite new to cruising and have never had a midnight buffet, so I can't quite visualise it.
Just picture a typical big Sunday brunch or special holiday buffet at a nice restaurant and that should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Brunch took place our first sea day beginning at 10 am. Breakfast was only available in the Oceanview Cafe, Aquaspa Cafe (healthy alternative breakfast option) and Blu that day.

We went to the buffet and thought it was great as we slept through Blu breakfast time. It had all the typical breakfast selections plus sushi, carving stations, shrimp table, dessert table, chocolate fountain, etc. It is self-service but there are obviously waitstaff available to help at many of the stations as well as working the room taking care of water, drinks and other needs. I would view it as a definite plus.

There is a lot of food but also a great deal of emphasis on presentation, ice scuptures, etc...If you have never been to one, you should try it once...

There were 2 brunches served during our 10 Day Mercury Cruise this past April.

We enjoyed them but wouldn't consider them a highlight of the cruise.

As other OPs have stated, the brunches are similar to those served in restaurants (especially on special occasions).

They are certainly worth a try as the food selection and quality are quite good.

Enjoy!

The second page of my photos from my Equinox cruise has a few pictures of the brunch: http://s497.photobucket.com/albums/rr333/buffy88nw/December%202009%20Cruise/?start=20

My wife and I really enjoyed it and look forward to the brunch on our next cruise.

Gonzo, your pictures are wonderful:D:)

Hi - on the Solstice in early June, the brunch was held on the San Juan day - great timing since we didn't arrive there until 2:00 pm.

You can go to the MDR from the second level early to take pictures - we did that and left and returned about an hour later. Tons of food - both breakfast and lunch offerings.

I was checking my "Today" while scrapbooking yesterday and it wasn't mentioned for that day - maybe that's why it wasn't packed.

To me, it's all part of the cruising package - we enjoyed ourselves and the food held us for hours.

Jo and Rob - you've been asking questions for a long time - I'm sure when you go on board, you will feel like your ship is your old friend - everywhere you look, you will be saying - 'Cruise Critic' - I loved having so much information before our cruise.

I wish you a fabulous time!!!

We thoroughly enjoyed the 2 brunches on our 12 day Mercury trip in May. It was a lovely change of pace, with wonderful food. Carving stations, fresh waffles being made (which we became addicted to), omelets to order, traditional breakfast fare, lovely salads and fruits, hot foods, desserts, you name it. Most was set up in the center of the room, and towards the front of the dining room, the tables were set with linen, and you could sit anywhere (that was a bit chaotic, as you'd be looking for space), but we loved it. Especially the longer availability (I believe it was from 10 to 1 pm).

I would like brunch served on every cruise I go on. :)

We thoroughly enjoyed the 2 brunches on our 12 day Mercury trip in May. ........ Most was set up in the center of the room, and towards the front of the dining room, the tables were set with linen, and you could sit anywhere (that was a bit chaotic, as you'd be looking for space), but we loved it.
They did it differently on the Millennium. As the passengers entered the dining room, someone would lead you to a table and show you to your seat. That was your assigned seat for the entire brunch. Whenever you got up to go for food, you just brought it back to the same place. We thought that was a much better way of doing it than having passengers carry their plates around looking for a place to sit.

Thanks for all the information. I think the brunch sounds great. My daughter will love the chocolate fountain and my son loves prawns! I like the idea of ice sculptures and the pictures look great.

I think we can have room service for breakfast and then enjoy the brunch later on. The more I find out about Celebrity the greater it sounds. Shame I've got over a year before we cruise!!!

Well, guess we're in the minority as we don't like the Brunch the first sea day as it was on the Summit. We enjoy a small breakfast, sometimes in the diningroom, but a nice lunch and to us, self service and limited lunch items is not a treat. Brunch does not do it for us - especially with no waiter service. Vicki:)

I know I'm in the minority, but for us the brunch was a great opportunity to try Bistro on 5 for the first time. We stepped into the MDR, saw how congested the food stations were, and turned right around. The only time I every felt crowded on the entire cruise.

I agree with the crowds. It was extremly hard to find a table! Service was almost was not wonderful. On the first brunch, they were extremly slow refilling dishes.

Not sure if this is how it always is - but we were seated on the second level, and all the buffet stations were set up on the first level, so we were up and down the circular stairway in the MDR, from table to buffet and back.

We do stairs all the time on a cruise - but not while managing a plate full of food. Never mind everyone else managing the stairs with their plates full of food.

Definately not our cup of tea.

Archived