Why choose NCL???

Tonklily

I am considering the Dawn for February 2011. Have never sailed with NCL before. My favorite cruise lines are Princess and HAL. I particularly like Traditional dining with a set time, same table, same waiter & assistant waiter for the entire cruise. So, I am a bit concerned about the "free style" dining that NCL offers. Is it possible to reserve a specific table in one of the dining rooms for the entire cruise, or should I not even be considering that option?

Please convince me why I should cruise with NCL on the Dawn, versus Princess or HAL.

Look forward to all responses. :)

I particularly like Traditional dining with a set time, same table, same waiter & assistant waiter for the entire cruise. So, I am a bit concerned about the "free style" dining that NCL offers. Is it possible to reserve a specific table in one of the dining rooms for the entire cruise, or should I not even be considering that option?

Please convince me why I should cruise with NCL on the Dawn, versus Princess or HAL.

Look forward to all responses. :)

i think for the reasons that you LIKE HAL and Princess you wouldnt like NCL...thats just the way i see it.....

NCL is FREE~STYLE that is why WE LOVE cruising with them...we dont like the traditional dining with set time, table etc...all the things that you do

LOVE!!

Here's the thing - if you do decide to try NCL, don't expect them to be like Princess and HAL. We enjoy Celebrity very much and I hear they are most like HAL. However, we tried NCL about 1.5 years ago and when we got home from that one, immediately booked another with them. It's more of a go with the flow line. It is a different experience but as long as you go into it knowing that, I think you'd be fine unless you can't take things as they come.

And while other lines have their version of anytime dining, no one does it as well as NCL (IMO). If you are in a suite on NCL (and they absolutely do THAT best), the concierge would hook you up with reservations in the MDRs should you decide to do that.

We had a great time with great service. We found the food to be mostly very good, but food is very subjective. We like the NCL product, and we like Celebrity very much too. Some find this odd and that's okay.

They do not take reservation, in the dining room, for anyone but larger groups. Besides reserving a certain table may not garner you the same service staff every night as they rotate around.

There is so much more to NCL than Freestyle dining. But, that seems to be the most important thing to you, so I would suggest sticking with what you like/know.

PE

They do not take reservation' date=' in the dining room, for anyone but larger groups. [/color']

PE - the concierge (and you know who I'm talkin' about!) can and has done reservations for a party of 5 before, and I know he did for others in suites.

PE - the concierge (and you know who I'm talkin' about!) can and has done reservations for a party of 5 before, and I know he did for others in suites.

...and that Concierge is no longer on the Dawn. So, who knows now.

I have gotten reservation for two, on many ships, because of relationships I have had with various personnel. All I was saying is that typically they do not take reservations for 2's or small groups. You and I both know there are always exceptions to "typical" rules when it comes to onboard services.

PE

I'm going to stick with the others who think your cruising with NCL might not be the best fit for you.

We had our first cruise with HAL and haven't been back. We went to a travel fair sponsored by a local TA, two of whom had just returned from a repositioning cruise on the NCL Sun and raved about their Freestyle dining experience. That did it for us, and we've never looked back.

We will cruise with other lines only when NCL does not have a cruise that fits our schedule (such as our upcoming 2-day Princess cruise from Vancouver to our home port of San Francisco).

Other lines that have a "form" of Freestyle dining do not compare with NCL's Freestyle, and that's why those of us who love NCL stay with NCL. That, and NCL's terrific, friendly, not-so-subservient crews!!! :D

Other lines that have a "form" of Freestyle dining do not compare with NCL's Freestyle, and that's why those of us who love NCL stay with NCL. That, and NCL's terrific, friendly, not-so-subservient crews!!! :D

That is one of the best descriptions of an NCL crew I have read. Can I steal it for future use?:D

PE

If you want to carry over the traditional cruise experience to Freestyle then NCL is not what you want.

You can make reservations for a specific time, and even table, for each evening but there is no guaranty that you will have the same waitstaff.

Also: By doing this you are depriving yourself of one of the best parts of Freestyle. It is that you have the ability to eat in a different venue and try different types of food.

If the traditional main dining room, waitstaff and set dining times is what you like then NCL isn't for you.

Take care,

Mike

Archived