LAX or LGB

Flyguy35

We are on the Dec 5 Island Princess Panama Canal cruise. It looks as the though the pier where the Island Princess is docked is closer to Long Beach than L.A. We are flying in the day before and was wondering which airport would be best to go through. Any suggestions as to which is easier to navigate, less expensive hotels or easier transport to the pier would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Duane

Princess and most of the other cruiselines sail out of the Port of Los Angeles that is adjacent to the Los Angeles neighborhood of San Pedro. Carnival sails out of the Port of Long Beach, in the City of Long Beach.

Yes--LGB is a tad closer than LAX to the port in San Pedro. This question is asked frequently on the West Coast Departure board.

The advantage of LAX is that there are more flights; usually cheaper; and transport cost using shared van service (e.g., SuperShuttle or PrimeTime) cheaper too due to the volume. The disadvantage of LAX is that it is a large airport with long security lines, lots of traffic, etc.

The advantage of LGB is that it is a very small airport that isn't too much different than it was in the 50s when I was there for a tour in first grade--other than the "new" waiting area for departing passengers. Only 42 commercial flights a day. Rental cars directly across the street from the airport. Jet Blue, Midwest, Alaska, Allegiant have flights in and out. You must climb stairs to get on and off the plane--if that is an issue.

Most people sailing out of San Pedro stay in San Pedro. The Crowne Plaza and Doubletree and the two most mentioned and are usually available pretty cheaply using Priceline. Both have free shuttles to the pier. In Long Beach, only the downtown Hilton may offer a shuttle to the San Pedro terminal.

You may want to look through the threads on the west coast departures board for more info.

We have flown into/out of both airports. This last June we got cheaper flights and a better schedule on JetBlue into Long Beach than we were able to get into LAX (from Portland). I liked the smaller airport, tho there are less amenities (restaurants etc) if you have to wait a time for your flight home.

Though it was more expensive we liked staying in Long Beach near Shoreline Village. There were lots of restaurants, shops and things to do for the day before the cruise. I would compare SuperShuttle or Primetime fares from LGB to where you are staying vs. fares from LAX.

Living in Los Angeles, I much prefer to use LGB whenever I can - it is such a small airport and easy to maneuver. I also prefer to stay in the Long Beach resort/hotel area than San Pedro. However, it usually comes down to money and as most people have said, LAX is usually cheaper.

Patricia has IMHO the best information. One thing to consider is not only cost and location but also which airport offers the best options flying home after a cruise. When I lived in the Boston area, I researched flights out of Long Beach back to Boston and either the flights left too early to make or there was only one flight option. This was on Jet Blue. I'm not comfortable knowing that if I'm somehow delayed and miss my flight, there are no other options that day. That would add to the cost of returning home if I had to stay overnight.

BTW, I loved Patricia's comment that Long Beach is like flying in the 50s. That was my reaction when I first saw the airport.

Princess and most of the other cruiselines sail out of the Port of Los Angeles that is adjacent to the Los Angeles neighborhood of San Pedro. Carnival sails out of the Port of Long Beach, in the City of Long Beach.

Yes--LGB is a tad closer than LAX to the port in San Pedro. This question is asked frequently on the West Coast Departure board.

The advantage of LAX is that there are more flights; usually cheaper; and transport cost using shared van service (e.g., SuperShuttle or PrimeTime) cheaper too due to the volume. The disadvantage of LAX is that it is a large airport with long security lines, lots of traffic, etc.

The advantage of LGB is that it is a very small airport that isn't too much different than it was in the 50s when I was there for a tour in first grade--other than the "new" waiting area for departing passengers. Only 42 commercial flights a day. Rental cars directly across the street from the airport. Jet Blue, Midwest, Alaska, Allegiant have flights in and out. You must climb stairs to get on and off the plane--if that is an issue.

Most people sailing out of San Pedro stay in San Pedro. The Crowne Plaza and Doubletree and the two most mentioned and are usually available pretty cheaply using Priceline. Both have free shuttles to the pier. In Long Beach, only the downtown Hilton may offer a shuttle to the San Pedro terminal.

You may want to look through the threads on the west coast departures board for more info.

Thanks for the very helpful information Patricia. I will certainly visit those boards for more information. I did not notice those boards before. Again Thanks.

Duane

We prefer Long Beach Airport....tiny...no huge lines.

Shuttle express/primetime shuttle goes to both LAX & LGB for pick up and drop off....my negative thought for LAX, is you may get picked up and then ride around different terminals of LAX to get the van full/ or pick other reservations before it departs for San Pedro....we rode around close to an hour one time at LAX...then a quick 20 minute ride to San Pedro....I think that was PrimeTime Shuttle...but it was quite a few years ago....

I live in San Pedro, just up the hill from the port. I try to use Long Beach whenever possible as it is closer and much easier to use. It does not have much in the line of food service. It is faster with 5 minutes or so to go thru security compared to as much as 40 minutes at LAX. They now have ramps as well as stairs to enter and exit the planes (I roll my carryon up the ramp). Drop off is easy and because there is only one terminal you don't have to go to a center island and then wait for the right supershuttle or other service, just call and make a reservation before you leave the ship or your departure airport. Also arriving luggage goes to one of two carousel rather down long beltways. You can get your luggage within ten to fifteen minutes and have less chance of getting lost.

While flights are less available, it saves you more than an hour between traffic to LAX and travelling around LAX. I also do not find flights more expensive than LAX if you just check prices on one of the on line services or purchase your tickets in advance (JetBlue for one). Even if you end up not using Long Beach, you should check out flights there as you may be pleasantly surprised.

Long Beach has a nice relaxed type of feeling to it,

folks working there seem happier than those at LAX

Quite often Jetblue has great rates making it much less expensive for us than flying into LAX

Its like flying into a small community instead of a large hub airport

folks take time to answer your questions and help you on your way, at LAX folks just want to move the passengers along

Thanks for the very helpful information Patricia. I will certainly visit those boards for more information. I did not notice those boards before. Again Thanks.

Duane

The western destinations board will also be helpful when deciding what hotel to stay at. (and I strongly recommend flying in at least a day ahead)

We fly into Long Beach, but fly back home from LAX. It was the best price ticket I could find. Does anyone know how much the shuttle or a taxi is from Long Beach to the Crown Plaza in San Pedro? I suppose that we'll rent a car, but will probably do Enterprise at the hotel because it will be so easy to drop off the car. Any suggestions?

I also do not find flights more expensive than LAX if you just check prices on one of the on line services or purchase your tickets in advance (JetBlue for one). Even if you end up not using Long Beach, you should check out flights there as you may be pleasantly surprised.
This all depends on where you live and where you're flying to/from. Most of the time, particularly if you live in New England, it's cheaper to fly to/from LAX, even taking into consideration transfer costs. Plus, in the winter, I try to avoid changing planes in Dallas or Chicago if at all possible. I'm only 15 minutes from SNA (Orange County) but if I'm flying to the East coast, I always fly out of LAX.

SuperShuttle from LGB to Crowne Plaza is $36 for two people.

There is a post on the West Coast Departures Board with a picture of the rates from a long beach cab that may show at least the rate to the port of Los Angeles, but I sure couldn't find it today.

Archived