Labadee with a toddler?

Hello everyone. We'll be visiting Labadee in December when we sail on Allure. DH and I will be bringing DD, who will be 15 months old at the time. It will have been two years since our last cruise and I can't even remember whether we stopped at Labadee that time or not, so clearly our list visit there could have been even longer ago. I've read bits and pieces about Labadee having undergone extensive upgrades since our last visit a few years back. Is this true? What kind of changes have been made? Are there any nice areas where we could take DD to play in the water? I remember that certain areas are quite rocky and/or steep. Also, what about the private beach area? Will we be allowed in as Diamond C&A members?

Thanks so much for your help!

There is now a nice pier so you can push her ashore in a stroller and roll her back at the end of the day when she is totally pooped out and sound asleep.

There is a really nice little kids play & splash area where she can run amok getting wet and having fun. (Mom & Dad can do it too)

Thanks everyone for your comments thus far. Does anyone have any additional information about the baby splash area that's been mentioned?

I didn't see that; my DD went on the "big" aqua park with the inflatables. I wouldn't recommend that for toddlers!

However, the beach near the aqua park is lovely; sandy, warm water and it slopes gently. I saw lots of little ones and their parents in the water there. It's near to the toilets and one of the buffets as well.

I didn't see that; my DD went on the "big" aqua park with the inflatables. I wouldn't recommend that for toddlers!

However, the beach near the aqua park is lovely; sandy, warm water and it slopes gently. I saw lots of little ones and their parents in the water there. It's near to the toilets and one of the buffets as well.

Thanks for your response. We'll definitely have to check that area out while we're in Labadee. It sounds as though it's near where the tenders used to arrive before the dock was built. We plan on putting DD in the nursery in the morning so that we can do the waverunners (have done them in the past and loved them) then pick her up and bring her on shore for awhile. That should give us an opportunity to check out a few places and decide where is best to take DD ahead of time. Is it true that they now have paved sidewalks most places? That would be so much easier than trying to push a stroller or carry DD around everywhere!

Just got back from labadee and its a great stop for a toddler. There is a pier now so its easy to get off the boat. After getting off the boat they have free little shuttles...kinda like a tram or golf cart to take you from the first beach to the marketplace if you don't want to walk it (its actually only about 1/2 a mile). The first beach is rocky and avoid it. Right after that is the next beach which has a little play area with a pirate ship for toddlers. Kinda like the H20 Zone on the boat.

After you walk thru the marketplace you get to the Columbus cove beach...which is shallow and easy to do with toddlers. Its right next to the Seatrek Water Park which would be for older kids.

good luck!

Just got back from labadee and its a great stop for a toddler. There is a pier now so its easy to get off the boat. After getting off the boat they have free little shuttles...kinda like a tram or golf cart to take you from the first beach to the marketplace if you don't want to walk it (its actually only about 1/2 a mile). The first beach is rocky and avoid it. Right after that is the next beach which has a little play area with a pirate ship for toddlers. Kinda like the H20 Zone on the boat.

After you walk thru the marketplace you get to the Columbus cove beach...which is shallow and easy to do with toddlers. Its right next to the Seatrek Water Park which would be for older kids.

good luck!

Thanks so much for the info. Exactly what I was looking for!:)

Just remember... sunscreen... sunscreen... more sunscreen!

Yep! Particularly as it's the first port of call on a lot of itineraries. We look distinctly pink in our Labadee photos and we had slathered on the sunscreen! :eek:

There are certain times and places where you do have to be mindful of jellyfish; I got mildly stung on the legs in the water by the Seatrek water park. The staff at the sign in cabana for the water park have a pain relieving scrub which worked pretty well, but I was glad it was my legs that got stung and not my DD's! :)

Thanks so much for the info. Exactly what I was looking for!:)

[/Hi and thanks for the information about Labadee.

We will be on RCI Explorer 11/7/10 and it's our first stop! No kiddies involved. We want to do the BBQ RCI offers and spend a few hours at the beach. Did you folks do the BBQ? How rocky is the first beach and how far is the next one over? Also, how far is the shopping area near the beaches?

Any information is truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

the pirate ship play area is reserved for the kids club for a certain time... after that time kids are allowed in there. I know when I was there in March 09 my daughter had to either sign up for the kids club (and I believe she was too young and she was 2.5) or wait until the kids club was done... even when there were no kids there...She loved it once she got in there!

Everything on Labadee is within a one mile walking distance.

The first beach is literally impossible to walk or swim in so skip it and take the tram which drops you at the marketplace and from there you walk to columbus cove.

When we say rocks...it's like blocks of cement.

Archived