drinks for not a big drinker

My SIL is not a big drinker, but is willing to try a few different drinks that don't have a lot of alcohol in them. Any recommendations? She already enjoys the "virgin" mix drinks, but interested in "not so strong" drinks.

They will make ANY drink "weak" if she requests it. Most drinks are quite strong, so make sure she tells them to only give about 1/2 the normal amount of alcohol (if that's what she wants.....many drinks are so well-mixed, you can't taste the alcohol!)

Nothing better than that 3pm poolside lavaflow...

Mmmmm. All that ice refreshes And rehydrates, and the rum keeps everybody feeling just the right amount of niiiiiiice.

I'm glad to see you embracing the lush side. Join us, we're more fun.

Voting for a "love connection" or a "Miami Vice" both are yummy frozen drinks that you don't even taste the alcohol in:p

Isn't a Miami Vice aka Lava Flow? Half strawberry Daquiri half piña colada. Which is the more popular of the two names?

I can barely taste the alcohol in Blue Hawaiians. They're delicious and taste like coconut.. I would recommend them to somebody who doesn't drink a lot. It's hard to know, though, what will actually taste mild to somebody who drinks very infrequently, so as others have suggested, with all drinks it might be a good idea to ask for them to go light on the alcohol, at least initially. :)

A more "plain vanilla" suggestion if I might ... different varietals of wines have less alcohol then others. An example would be Reisling, a white wine, which can have an alcohol content in the 8% range, as opposed to 12 to 13% in some other whites (or even reds). Riesling has a high acidity and a certain amount of residual sugar, which makes it extremely refreshing, and a good compliment against certain foods (such as Asian or other spicy type meals).

Just a thought ...

Michael

This is a good question~!! Thanks for all the answers as well. I wish I would have known about drinks being so strong on our last cruise. I bought my first cosmopolitan and it was sooooo strong I had to send it back.

I'll be giving some of these milder drinks a try this time.

My favorite is the Bahama Mama. It is sweet and fruity! :D

I also am not a big drinker. Every thing seems to be too strong for me and everything also goes straight to my head. From a light weight who can taste the alcohol in EVERYTHING here is another vote for Bahama Mama tastes like fruit juce but it will sneak up on you. Also I like Malabu Bay Breeze it's another sweet one with lots of juice mixers. Anything made with Malabu Rum is a good one since it is a sweet lighter rum not like Captain Morgan which is a stronger darker rum. Malabu makes lots of sweet flavored rums. I only drink when we are on vacation (which is once or twice a year) and I only have one or two a day becasue it is really all I can handle without feeling bad.

A lot of the time, the bartenders are circulating with specialty drinks that are one price as "virgins" and a dollar or two more if you add some rum from the bottle they carry with them. You can control the amount they add. This might be a good way to get a fun, fruity drink with just a splash of alcohol.

If you want something even lighter than wine, have a "spritzer" made. Just have club soda added to a glass of wine. It's much lighter that way. Sorry, but hard liquor, even cut with other Juice or soda is still much stronger than even a glass of wine.

I prefer wine, champagne, bellinis or fruity drinks over anything else. I like sweet drinks, not necessarily less alcohol, but sweeter flavor works better for me.

Go for a Yellowbird. Always a personal favorite, but can be strong. Like cb at sea says - just ask for it weak (but the regular ones go down so smooth!).

I love Yellowbirds on the rocks :) sadly though most bartenders have no clue how to make them and occasionally one will ! One time at TGIF they made me one that tasted like licorice and I hate licorice :(

Isn't a Miami Vice aka Lava Flow? Half strawberry Daquiri half piña colada. Which is the more popular of the two names?

The Miami Vice is half Strawberry Daquiri and half pina Colada but I didn't know if was also called Lava Flow. That is definitely my favorite cruise drink.

I love a Lemon/Lime & Bitters if i am thirsty,only the few drops of Aganosta (sp) Bitters are alcoholic

Yes, the Angostura Bitters are made with alcohol but as only a few drops are usually added to drinks I don't think the bitters themselves would make anyone tipsy.

That lava flow drink sounds delicious - I'm going to try one of those as my one cocktail per day on my next cruise! :)

If someone doesn't like alcohol why encourage them to drink it?

Who are you asking? The OP? In which case, it sounds as if the OPs SIL has asked for recommendations of low-alcohol, nice-tasting drinks. :)

Archived