iPad on Eclipse

nooosey

Has anyone had problems using iPads on Eclipse?

I know that they are handed out and used in Quisine to order the food instead of a menu.

The reason that I ask is that another smaller luxury cruise-line has stopped their onboard Wi-Fi useage as the iPad Wi-Fi system interferes with the entire board network, thus disabling all internet users. Passengers will be unable to use them with the ships Wi-Fi until Apple fixes the problem with a software patch. Apparently the iPhone had a similar problem which has now been fixed with a software patch earlier this year.

The reason that I ask is that another smaller luxury cruise-line has stopped their onboard Wi-Fi useage as the iPad Wi-Fi system interferes with the entire board network, thus disabling all internet users.

Incorrect. Millions of iPad owners use WiFi every day without causing problems on the host network.

Hi Paul,

I thought the same as you but it's up on their website.

I guess it could be true they've banned the iPad, but that doesn't mean the reason they did so is correct. I stand by my statement, millions of iPad owners use WiFi every day without causing any problems on the host network.

There's a rare problem where an iPad tries to use an old IP address, but it is only seen on certain types of WiFi hosted networks and is easily avoidable by simple actions on the part of the iPad user.

This sounds like a misguided IT department at work to me...

Hi Paul,

I thought the same as you but it's up on their website.

I'm traveling on Regent next month and I'm definitely planning on using my iPad. Please do provide the link or the cruise line where they are "banned." my husband has one as well and we are so excited not to have to bring a bulky laptop.

This is the link for those that are interested, it only seems to take you to the front site, the pasted information is found under cruise guidebook/onboard services and information/business & communications.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/#link273

IPAD Usage

Important information regarding IPAD usage on board: Due to some significant technical issues confirmed by Apple, we have learned that the Apple IPAD Wi-Fi systems interfere with Crystal Cruises’ entire on board network, thus disabling all internet users. Therefore, regrettably, until Apple corrects this situation, Crystal Cruises cannot allow Wi-Fi connection via the IPAD on board our ships. The Apple iphone product had a similar issue that was addressed via a software patch earlier this year. Apple assures us that a “software patch” to fix this problem is in development and can be expected this fall. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your cooperation.

Can you provide the URL to this web site you refer to?

I was on Celebrity Eclipse in June and had no problem using my iPad with the ships wireless.

onlineal

Thanks for the info, I am on Eclipse in 12 days and will take my iPad which is great. I was on Azamara Journey in May and the iPad would not connect. I had an old version iPod Touch which was fine.

I see that they still have the statement about not using Safari as a browser. I believe that this was a problem in earlier years, but has not been an issue for at least three years.

I just e-mailed Celebrity about the need to update the Internet access information on the website as Celebrity ships are most definitely Mac friendly. We used an iTouch and iPad onboard the Eclipse inaugural Scandinavia-Russia cruise. The iLounge was fantastic and we look forward to seeing the new iLounge on Summit soon.

Here's the info about the new lounges:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000YZ-QCBggg1cE9Mprpu52Q-E:12hdbcveb?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2010-04-05&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Bonnie

Archived