Best waterproof digital camera?

allisons

Another vote for the Canon D10. I have had two Olympus waterproof cameras. Both were good (I broke one by falling on it) and the second we still have and it works, but the pictures from the Olympus (even in underwater mode) are more green then the Canon D10. Our last trip my husband snorkeled with the Olympus and I had the Canon D10, and under the exact same conditions the Canon D10 won hands down.

I also only took the Canon D10 on our recent trip to Niagara Falls (rain, mist, etc) and the above water pictures turned out great as well (its no SLR, but for a digital point and shoot you can get wet, it is great!)

• 2 weeks later...
I love my Canon D10! takes great pics in the water and out!

I agree, I was probably the only guy at the Star Wars convention using an underwater camera :D

(the first shots isn't perfect because I handed my camera to a young kid to take the photo, but the second shot was more like it. Love the D10)

MarkandAnaTieE.jpg

AnaandJillwithChewymeduimsize.jpg

Another vote for Canon D10 although I wish it had a deeper depth rating and a longer zoom. Most (all?) of the cameras listed here are snorkel only.

Great photos :D Where is this? Coral does not look like the Caribbean?

Hawaii. :D

I'll be trying again in Cozumel in a few weeks. :)

Looking forward to more underwater photos when you get back :)

Have you found a good dive or snorkel trip in Cozumel? I'll be going in January and haven't started my planning yet. Last year we did the swim with the dolphins and a quick snorkel at the National park in Cozumel - Chakanab(sp). Snorkeling was just okay, but not great. We did enjoy the dolphin swim!

Dtronic, thanks for the link to the review. We purchased the Sony DSC-TX5 and got it 2 weeks ago. It is pretty simple to operate and figure out. We got it solely to be our underwater camera since we are beyond thrilled with our Panasonic Lumix ZS3. Used the new Sony today to try it out underwater (at a nearby river). I think the pictures turned out great, but there is nothing much under the water to shoot other than grass, rocks and sand. The above water shots were wonderful and it does a great job of focusing on close up objects.

I can't seem to figure out how to post any photos here as all my attempts to upload a photo end in a failure message. any suggestions from you guys about posting photos?

Sargent Schultz, loved the photos. Hawaii is on my return list for snorkeling. Some of the best we have ever experienced was in Kona at the Captain Cook monument, Molikini and Maui's mile marker 8 (I believe!)

Markstudy, going to Cozumel in October. We are going to give the Money Bar reef a try. Will let you know how it goes when we get back...unless Sargent Schultz comes back before then with some more stunning photos of a great location!!

I will probably do the three snorkel tour through the ship. In the past I have gone with Eagle Ray Divers and had a good time. Their boats are not speed boats - more like the African Queen - but still a nice trip.

The Money Bar is where the old Dzul Ha Beach Club was and used to be the best shore snorkeling in Cozumel - until Wilma. It probably still is among the best but most of the shallow coral disappeared.

The deeper coral is still there, but it is drift snorkeling so you need to know your capabilities. You will see dive and snorkel boats in the area.

Pretty much all of the snorkel boats will stop in the Dzul Ha area, I would think.

Since the last time I was at Dzual Ha, I understand the Moneybar added some Reef Balls which provide cover for fish and something for coral to anchor onto. It's been a few years so it has probably improved some. I would estimate it is about the same as Chankanaab.

As for cover, fish really don't care if it is artificial or not.

A different camera, but still Canon - a discontinued Canon A710 Is with waterproof case - a decent camera with a good zoom, but bulky. Also rated to 130 feet.

Moneybar

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

but they aren't hanging around coral...

IMG_1314.JPG

I can't seem to figure out how to post any photos here as all my attempts to upload a photo end in a failure message. any suggestions from you guys about posting photos?

It is easiest if they are hosted on a website. There are many free and inexpensive sites where you can upload photos and then link to them from here.

I will probably do the three snorkel tour through the ship.

Thanks... do they have any caves in Cozumel? I thought I heard of something like this, but haven't been able to track down any info?

Combining underwater and caves might make for a unique test for our underwater cameras :D (not my picture, but I'd like to find something like this)

1215453666eYp3iTu.jpg

Thanks... do they have any caves in Cozumel? I thought I heard of something like this, but haven't been able to track down any info?

Combining underwater and caves might make for a unique test for our underwater cameras :D (not my picture, but I'd like to find something like this)

I think most Cenotes are on the mainland.

That looks sorta like Rio Secreto, although the all look alike to me. :p

http://www.riosecretomexico.com/

These cenotes were reached from Progreso and again was with the Canon A710 IS:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/fantasy_07/progreso/p2.htm

Hey Sarge, when are you doing western caribbean? Iwished ihad known i would have been asking you more questions on the Magic board. About 3 years ago we did a zipline ,snorkeling in the caverns and cenotes in Cozumel. it was an all day tour and i think we may have booked it through the ship. we didn't have our underwater camera then but i don't recall the water being great for pictures. Maybe you can help me with some other spots. we booked with a place called mayan paradise tours for 4 to 8 people. We have never been to GC and cannot decide whether to go to Eden Rock or take a boat snorkel. don't want to go snorkeling with to many people.Also we booked with Upachaya in Roatan, although we heard it is the rainy season. Thanks for any advice or information you have.

Hey Sarge, when are you doing western caribbean? Iwished ihad known i would have been asking you more questions on the Magic board. About 3 years ago we did a zipline ,snorkeling in the caverns and cenotes in Cozumel. it was an all day tour and i think we may have booked it through the ship. we didn't have our underwater camera then but i don't recall the water being great for pictures. Maybe you can help me with some other spots. we booked with a place called mayan paradise tours for 4 to 8 people. We have never been to GC and cannot decide whether to go to Eden Rock or take a boat snorkel. don't want to go snorkeling with to many people.Also we booked with Upachaya in Roatan, although we heard it is the rainy season. Thanks for any advice or information you have.

2 weeks from tomorrow.

If you've never been to GC, the must do is play with the stingrays at Sting Ray sandbar. Most trips not through the ship will include a snorkel. Soto's Cruises and Native Way are a couple of companies that I've gone with and enjoyed.

If you still want more you can then do Eden Rock after.

In Roatan I always snorkel at West Bay, but Upachaya looks interesting. Maybe next time. Carnival in Roatan no longer docks at Coxen Hole, but they probably know that.

A lot of animals like rain - it keeps the number of tourists down. The fish are already wet and you are going to get wet anyway.

2 weeks from tomorrow.

If you've never been to GC, the must do is play with the stingrays at Sting Ray sandbar. Most trips not through the ship will include a snorkel. Soto's Cruises and Native Way are a couple of companies that I've gone with and enjoyed.

If you still want more you can then do Eden Rock after.

In Roatan I always snorkel at West Bay, but Upachaya looks interesting. Maybe next time. Carnival in Roatan no longer docks at Coxen Hole, but they probably know that.

A lot of animals like rain - it keeps the number of tourists down. The fish are already wet and you are going to get wet anyway.

We are looking at the stingray tour, i am not as wild about that idea as my dh ,you know the steve irwin thing. but i think we will probably end up doing it. capt. marvins gets good reviews but might be more crowded than we like. is west bay where tabyana beach is? i have heard wonderful things about it. we just bought a new underwater camera. we had an olympus that went down 10 ft. ,we got one that goes sixteen and is a little easier to understand. i hope we are not sorry we didn't get the canon, the pictures i have seen are really clear. we are doing a three reef in cozumel that looks pretty nice. i am waiting for a reply from a guy i booked with in belize, but he has not answered my emails in a couple of weeks and i am beginning to wonder about it. you are the one who recommended the kolocep trip i think, have you done that trip before or are you planning to do it? i just wondered what it is like ,especially since it is a more expensive trip. Thanks

I was in GC the day after Steve Irwin was killed. You should have seen the line of people at the shore excursion desk asking if they were going to be killed on the excursion. :eek: The answer is NO. Steve was killed by a bull ray, not a southern stingray which is what you will see at the sandbar. He also had a tendency to sometimes be careless.

The rays at the sandbar are used to humans and are looking for a handout. They will remind you more of pets. If you don't want to get off the boat, nobody is going to make you. You may hear screams every once in a while, but they will be followed by near hysterical laughter.

Tabyana is at the south end of West Bay beach.

Emails can get lost or you might have a filter on your email blocking replies. Send another email if you don't get a reply within a few days. Or pick up the phone and call - depending on your carrier, it probably doesn't cost much for a few minute call to Belize.

I probably won't go snorkeling in Dubrovnik, but if I did, would probably not be on the tour I posted. If I did snorkel, I'd probably look for an inexpensive ferry to one of the islands and either snorkel on my own or try to find or arrange a local tour on the island.

I was in GC the day after Steve Irwin was killed. You should have seen the line of people at the shore excursion desk asking if they were going to be killed on the excursion. :eek: The answer is NO. Steve was killed by a bull ray, not a southern stingray which is what you will see at the sandbar. He also had a tendency to sometimes be careless.

The rays at the sandbar are used to humans and are looking for a handout. They will remind you more of pets. If you don't want to get off the boat, nobody is going to make you. You may hear screams every once in a while, but they will be followed by near hysterical laughter.

Tabyana is at the south end of West Bay beach.

Emails can get lost or you might have a filter on your email blocking replies. Send another email if you don't get a reply within a few days. Or pick up the phone and call - depending on your carrier, it probably doesn't cost much for a few minute call to Belize.

I probably won't go snorkeling in Dubrovnik, but if I did, would probably not be on the tour I posted. If I did snorkel, I'd probably look for an inexpensive ferry to one of the islands and either snorkel on my own or try to find or arrange a local tour on the island.

Hi, your pictures are beautiful too, you have the canon D10 ? we bought another olympus and want to take it back, they are going to try to charge us a 15% restocking fee. The Steve Irwin thing is true , i know . The dubrovnik tour is very expensive and you have to pay upfront. Have a great cruise ,we'll look forward to the pictures.

Hi, your pictures are beautiful too, you have the canon D10 ? we bought another olympus and want to take it back, they are going to try to charge us a 15% restocking fee. The Steve Irwin thing is true , i know . The dubrovnik tour is very expensive and you have to pay upfront. Have a great cruise ,we'll look forward to the pictures.

Thank you. Yes, a Canon D10. I wish it had a larger optical zoom. I'm not sure when it was introduced, but I keep wondering when Canon will come out with a new improved one?

Thank you. Yes, a Canon D10. I wish it had a larger optical zoom. I'm not sure when it was introduced, but I keep wondering when Canon will come out with a new improved one?

Well we took back the Olympus and are going to buy the Canon . we would have exchanged it had they carried it but will purchase it somewhere else. so they haven't changed it since they first came out with it? well i 'm sure if i buy it they will probably come out with a new improved one the next day.

Archived