Dengue fever warning!

laedw

I just read in the Chicago Tribune's Sunday, July 11th newspaper that there is a warning in Puerto Rico about hemorrhagic dengue fever due to the rains they received in May and June. There has been a death reported. :eek: I seriously hope this is under control when we visit in October for SOS cruise!

I just read in the Chicago Tribune's Sunday, July 11th newspaper that there is a warning in Puerto Rico about hemorrhagic dengue fever due to the rains they received in May and June. There has been a death reported. :eek: I seriously hope this is under control when we visit in October for SOS cruise!

Yes, PR has a Dengue issue this year (it has been very rainy). But it is not something to get freaked out about. Similar to West Nile Virus disease that is an issue at times in Illinois, Dengue is transmitted to humans by infected mosquitos. Insect repellent with Deet is the best prevention.

What ever you do at home to prevent insect borne diseases, do that in PR and anywhere you travel in the tropics.

The most important thing to be aware of is the symptoms and to know that there are 2 types of Dengue in the tropics, the least common is the hemorragic type of Dengue which can become a serious health threat if you do not follow the correct treatment. I have read some cases were people have gotten the h. type here in Puerto Rico and then travel to the US were it is basically unknown and then get the wrong diagnosis...h. type dengue is life threatning if you do not get the correct treatment.

I don't wear insect repellant in the day if I'm in the city. Would this be ok in OSJ in August? How bad are the mosquitos in the city? We'll also be there in December but will go from cab to hotel at night and then will be out during the day.

thanks!

Archived