'8 is Enough' star: Asst. CD

jleq

Very interesting. My question: How do you get to be an assistant cruise director with no previous cruise line experience. Surely Oceania is not trading on his "Eight Is Enough'' fame. Or are they?

I had no idea who this person was so I googled him - sounds like a train wreck although no more so than so many other child actors.

I think it's "interesting" that he became a licensed financial advisor AFTER he went bankrupt... guess that didn't work out so well.

IF you believe Wiki, O hired themselves a drug and alcohol abusing, born-again, bankrupt, suicidal assistant cruise director. But at least he starred as Bibleman and did an episode of Love Boat.

From Wiki:

Aames struggled with drugs and alcohol for over twenty years and it was during this time that he became a born-again Christian and an ordained minister.[/url]

Aames resides in Olathe, Kansas. He is separated from second wife, Maylo McCaslin, with whom he co-wrote the book Grace is Enough in 2007. They married on March 15, 1986, and have a daughter, Harleigh Jean. Aames also has a son, Christopher, from his first marriage.

He filed for bankruptcy in 2008, claiming debts of over $350,000, and he separated from his wife. After moving back to L.A., he attempted suicide on Thanksgiving Day 2008.

Aames held an estate sale on March 26, 2009, at his Olathe, Kansas, home to sell all of his possessions in order to combat the impending foreclosure on his home. Aames's yard sale gained nationwide attention, and was attended mostly by fans as well as people who could relate to Aames' finance issues given the current economic recession.

The 2009 VH1 program Broke & Famous: Willie Aames documented his money problems. In late 2009, Aames became a licensed financial advisor.

In March 2010, he joined Oceania Cruises as a member of the Entertainment Staff.

on the O's Regatta T/A this last March...and he is a very sincere, caring gentleman!. He was asked to come on board early to begin his "training" as an ACD...and he did a great job....I saw him our first day on board and did recognize him..in fact, I had just seen him on the Today Show about a week before the cruise.

He said he had to get back to the States to "walk his daughter down the isle"...and he was very welcoming and sincere!!

I think he will make a great ACD...as he is a "people person" and very out-going and friendly....

Not sure why you would "hold" anything against him from his past life...he is "clean and sober" and doing a great job in this new job...Can you not just give this guy a break???? He is working and is great in his job...and I would guess...accept for his "fame" ...you don't know anything about any other ACD or CD...to be honest...I think you have been very harsh in your "judgement" of him....he is working, and doing his best to change his life....what more could any one ask???? I think that O found a real gem of a "person" and personality for this "role"...you know..not everyone...can do well in this position.....LuAnn

I didn't recognize the name, so I looked him up after reading all the above comments.

Although I didn't watch any of his shows, I do recognize the face: he looks very rundown, very tired, and yes, he has "smoker face" (ugh).

Sure enough...in the video you can see a pack of cigarettes.

There are so many talented, "fresh-looking", energetic young people who would make great Assistant CD's. Why would Oceania consider hiring an old has-been, and a smoker at that.

It's great that he wants to get his life together, and I wish him all the best, but please, not on our dime.

Why don't you all reserve judgement until you sail with Willie? Like Luann, we have and look forward to seeing him again on Insignia in few months. He's charming, personable and attentive to the guests and no, I never smelled the scent of tobacco.

Not sure if you are directing your comment to me or not.

I repeated what is posted on Wiki and made no explicit judgment about the individual. Perhaps I should not have posted the Wiki information with the benefit of hindsight.

I think you have been very harsh in your "judgement" of him....he is working, and doing his best to change his life....what more could any one ask????

I totally agree with Luann and Marsha. We were also on the Mar TA and found Willie did an excellent job. He was sincere and engaging. There was no need to slam him for old demons especially when you haven't even encountered the man.:cool:

:eek: He's a smoker so he shouldn't work??? Lame excuse not to give someone a chance to work and pay their bills. Sounds like he's doing a good job and not moaning and groaning about his celebrity past. I guess you can't get anymore sinful than a smoker or someone with a "smoker's face"....?????????????? puh-leeze.

Firstly you should NEVER believe anything you read on Wikipedia because it can be manipulated by anybody. I think they are currently putting changes in to place to prevent this in future.

As a Brit who has never seen that programme I could care less about the mans History UNLESS he has been convicted of some serious criminal offence and if this had occurred then I doubt O would have hired him.

The people who have met him on board only have good things to say so why the furore.

Now if it was OJ !!!!!!!

Brian

I used to have a semi-crush on him when watching the program (Yes, I am younger than all of you - LOL), although the oldest brother was really cute. We are the same generation that liked David Cassidy and Davy Jones.

Yes, Benita, I remember having that same crush, mainly because of his cute, longish, curly hair.

I guess my comment here is: "let he without sin cast the first stone."

We all have things/times in our lives we regret. Judging others for their transgressions just because they are more public than ours is really hypocracy, isn't it?

Let the man do his job (those who have met him onboard say he is doing it well) and wish him well.

I trust O hired him and will keep him, or let him go, based on his abilities and his future actions, not his history, how he looks, or what people think of him. I expect that is the way we would all like to be treated.

Kay

on the O's Regatta T/A this last March...and he is a very sincere, caring gentleman!. He was asked to come on board early to begin his "training" as an ACD...and he did a great job....I saw him our first day on board and did recognize him..in fact, I had just seen him on the Today Show about a week before the cruise.

He said he had to get back to the States to "walk his daughter down the isle"...and he was very welcoming and sincere!!

I think he will make a great ACD...as he is a "people person" and very out-going and friendly....

Not sure why you would "hold" anything against him from his past life...he is "clean and sober" and doing a great job in this new job...Can you not just give this guy a break???? He is working and is great in his job...and I would guess...accept for his "fame" ...you don't know anything about any other ACD or CD...to be honest...I think you have been very harsh in your "judgement" of him....he is working, and doing his best to change his life....what more could any one ask???? I think that O found a real gem of a "person" and personality for this "role"...you know..not everyone...can do well in this position.....LuAnn

LuAnn,

I agree with you. I was on the Barcelona to Rome cruise after your TA last April. I attended the Sunday morning service held in Regatta Lounge and he conducted the service. I talked to him afterwards and found him to be very personable and friendly, also.

Judy

How naive you are GillianRose.

Just go ashore any day and see the number of Crew from both above and below decks who are smoking.

Brian

The last thing I am is naive.

I know there are a lot of crew members who smoke. It stands to reason, since there are more people of second and third world nations who work on ships and they smoke in greater numbers than educated people in the first world. Tobacco companies of the first world are doing their best to get and keep as many smokers as possible, and they are finding that more difficult to do in the first world.

I stated my personal PREFERENCE, and that is that they (they being especially the cruise lines that advertise that they offer a mostly smokefree experience) hire people who do not smoke, and especially those who interact with passengers.

I am interested in Oceania and Azamara first and foremost because they advertise themselves as mostly smokefree cruising experiences.

So yes, I would prefer they hire employees who do not smoke.

I'm with you on the smoking! The less smoking the better! Out by the pool isn't so bad because that is easy to avoid, but the corner in Horizons sometimes is really bad. I like to go to Horizons for sail away, but breathing that air is a big negative to me. We tried going up there after dinner one night, but turned back as soon as we got to the top of the staircase because of the smoke and we were on the right side!!

I'm not a smoker and I detest the smell of it as much as anyone else, but I don't think it needs to be a rule at Oceania that no smokers need apply. As long as they obey the rules while on board, I'm okay with their being there. And who knows, maybe the experience of not being able to smoke most of the time will convince them to quit!

Hmm, sometimes I think I would rather deal with a "second/third" world smoker as the ones found on "o". I find them polite, dignifed, caring, happy to please and very hard working. You just don't see too much of that in our glorious "first" world..whatever this "first" world is perceived to be:rolleyes:

I have met many "educated people" from second and third world countries on all of our cruises. They were always interesting and charming whether they were smokers or not. In most cases, I would prefer to sail with these people rather than with some from supposed first world countries.

Don

I have met many "educated people" from second and third world countries on all of our cruises. They were always interesting and charming whether they were smokers or not. In most cases, I would prefer to sail with these people rather than with some from supposed first world countries.

Don

I so totally agree with you. who are any of us to judge anyone?

Archived