'8 is Enough' star: Asst. CD

jleq

This was not directed at you so please do not take offense. I too do not like the smell of smoke, especially in Horizons. And like you I smelled it on the "right" side and made a comment to DH. I smoked for 33 years before I quit, I do not begrudge anyone their smoke..just don't want it in my face (that despite all those years, does not look "smoke ravaged"). Smoking was not the main issue I was addressing. Most important would be the "second/third" vs "first" world comments that "educated first worlders" make. I will leave it at that.

This was not directed at you so please do not take offense. I too do not like the smell of smoke, especially in Horizons. And like you I smelled it on the "right" side and made a comment to DH. I smoked for 33 years before I quit, I do not begrudge anyone their smoke..just don't want it in my face (that despite all those years, does not look "smoke ravaged"). Smoking was not the main issue I was addressing. Most important would be the "second/third" vs "first" world comments that "educated first worlders" make. I will leave it at that.

I understand.

I too do not like the smell of smoke, especially in Horizons. And like you I smelled it on the "right" side and made a comment to DH. I smoked for 33 years before I quit, I do not begrudge anyone their smoke..just don't want it in my face (that despite all those years, does not look "smoke ravaged"). Smoking was not the main issue I was addressing. Most important would be the "second/third" vs "first" world comments that "educated first worlders" make.

My point is about the smoking and the related statistics, which by now are pretty common knowledge. The TOBACCO COMPANIES are not having the success they used to have in selling to the first world countries, and statistics bear this out. The least success they have is with first world educated people, and that is why I tossed the term "educated" into the mix. Have you not read this yourself?

I have absolutely no problem with second and third world people and their charm and/or intelligence was never called into question, but I have a problem with smelling smoke (including stale smoke odor on clothing and furnishings) and one way (perhaps small to you, but I see it as a positive step) to further minimize smoking on ships is to employ as many people as possible who do not smoke, especially those that interact with passengers.

I'm with you on the smoking! The less smoking the better! Out by the pool isn't so bad because that is easy to avoid, but the corner in Horizons sometimes is really bad. I like to go to Horizons for sail away, but breathing that air is a big negative to me. We tried going up there after dinner one night, but turned back as soon as we got to the top of the staircase because of the smoke and we were on the right side!!

Thank you. Several people have commented on smelling smoke in Horizons, despite the area being supposedly very small. Since you have been on the smaller ships, could you tell me if you think there is a way they could enclose that area or relocate it?

Why or rather how were you able to smell the smoke all the way on the starboard side? Was someone cheating, i.e. moved over to starboard to smoke, or is it just not well-contained?

Although my life is not nearly as interesting, I am so grateful it does not appear on Wikipedia.

My sensitivity to smoke rivals that of a bloodhound. As long as my cabin does not vent in smoke, and I can hold my breath past the smoking area or better avoid it altogether. I will be happier than on previous cruises.

If it turns out the smoke is in the way, not sure where to go next.

I'm not a smoker and I detest the smell of it as much as anyone else, but I don't think it needs to be a rule at Oceania that no smokers need apply. As long as they obey the rules while on board, I'm okay with their being there. And who knows, maybe the experience of not being able to smoke most of the time will convince them to quit!

Hi Mura!

It worked for me!!! I quit on 1/1/2001 after nearly 20 years of smoking in anticipation of our March 2001 cruise on the Renaissance R5 - which then was entirely non-smoking. It worked and I haven't smoked since. :D And along the way I found a new love - cruising!

Cheers,

Joe

That's great, Joe. And I know you aren't the only one. I've heard that story before ...

OTOH, I recall that when Oceania was new there were some extremely upset passengers who didn't discover until they were on board that they couldn't smoke except in a very few places. Their T/As hadn't revealed that information ... or perhaps the T/As were also ignorant of the smoking rules.

It worked for me!!! I quit on 1/1/2001 after nearly 20 years of smoking in anticipation of our March 2001 cruise on the Renaissance R5 - which then was entirely non-smoking. It worked and I haven't smoked since. :D And along the way I found a new love - cruising!

Cheers,

Joe

Wow, that's great. Congratulations.

Not to stir a hornet's nest, but if you had known that you could still smoke onboard in limited places, do you think you still would have quit smoking in preparation for your cruise?

Was it the total ban on smoking that prompted you to quit?

Thank you. Several people have commented on smelling smoke in Horizons, despite the area being supposedly very small. Since you have been on the smaller ships, could you tell me if you think there is a way they could enclose that area or relocate it?

Why or rather how were you able to smell the smoke all the way on the starboard side? Was someone cheating, i.e. moved over to starboard to smoke, or is it just not well-contained?

Enclosing it would not work as far as breathing the air because I'm sure it would be on the same ventilation system. We smelled the smoke when we got to the top of the staircase before we even went into Horizons. We had some cold weather on our cruise and there must have been a lot of smokers in that corner rather than outside. Other than just not liking the smell, smoke triggers my asthma, too, so I try to avoid it as much as I possibly can. Personally, I don't think it should be allowed anywhere except outside. At least Oceania limits it to just two areas and we don't have to deal with it on the balcony or end up in a room that smells like smoke.

Wow, that's great. Congratulations.

Not to stir a hornet's nest, but if you had known that you could still smoke onboard in limited places, do you think you still would have quit smoking in preparation for your cruise?

Was it the total ban on smoking that prompted you to quit?

Thanks... No - wouldn't have worked with limited smoking areas...

I just calculated I've saved about $21,000 on cigarettes over the past nearly 10 years. That will cover a few cruises! :D:D:D

I owe you Renaissance!

Joe

Thanks... No - wouldn't have worked with limited smoking areas...

I just calculated I've saved about $21,000 on cigarettes over the past nearly 10 years. That will cover a few cruises! :D:D:D

I owe you Renaissance!

Joe

That's what I thought. It makes sense.

Again, congratulations to you. :)

I am trying to remain hopeful that there won't any problems related to smoking onboard, but with cigars (ugh, ugh, ugh) allowed on the pool deck, if even one person lights up and smokes the whole darn thing in one sitting, I don't see how there will not be a problem downwind of the cigar smoker. We lost the ability to have a cabana on a smoke-free deck, so now we will have to use the pool deck.

Doesn't Oceania get enough patronage with all the non-cigar-smokers without having to permit cigar smoking onboard?

If Oceania can ditch the cabanas as they have, surely they could take another popular step by ditching cigar smoking onboard.

My sensitivity to smoke rivals that of a bloodhound. As long as my cabin does not vent in smoke, and I can hold my breath past the smoking area or better avoid it altogether. I will be happier than on previous cruises.

If it turns out the smoke is in the way, not sure where to go next.

I too am very sensitive to smoke, but I have been pleased with my ability to avoid smelling smoke on Oceania.

I make sure neither to enter nor exit the pool deck near the small smoking section and will not use a chaise near that area. Horizons is large and well ventilated and I never have smelled smoke in there, but when I go there, I am sitting way up front for the excellent views, far from the small smoking area in the rear.

In fact, on our one major rain day on our May cruise, the non-smokers took over the smoking section at afternoon tea when the place ran out of tables except in that section.

That's what I thought. It makes sense.

Again, congratulations to you. :)

I am trying to remain hopeful that there won't any problems related to smoking onboard, but with cigars (ugh, ugh, ugh) allowed on the pool deck, if even one person lights up and smokes the whole darn thing in one sitting, I don't see how there will not be a problem downwind of the cigar smoker. We lost the ability to have a cabana on a smoke-free deck, so now we will have to use the pool deck.

Doesn't Oceania get enough patronage with all the non-cigar-smokers without having to permit cigar smoking onboard?

If Oceania can ditch the cabanas as they have, surely they could take another popular step by ditching cigar smoking onboard.

To continue so far OT almost on another board ....

Oceania no longer has cabanas? I understood they weren't on Marina but did not know they removed them from the the three R-class ships. I was looking forward to a cabana on their Amazon cruise.

Archived