Spirit Dining: Sushi/Taste of India Qs

Last time we were on the Spirit, we weren't terribly adventurous when it came to dining (Cagney's for breakfast/lunch, Raffles for dinner and snacks). We're back on the Spirit this Friday and I'd love to know more about the cost and quality of (a) the sushi and (b) the "Taste of India" dining experience.

Specifically: I'm confused about how the sushi is priced-- somewhere I read that it's $15 for all-you-can-eat, elsewhere I've read that it's priced a la carte. In either case, is there a good selection of sashimi and nigiri favorites (hamachi, maguro, eel, striped bass, octopus)? If it's indeed a la carte, how are the prices?

Any testimonials, good or bad, on the "Taste of India" (again, cost and quality)?

My husband is a huge sushi fan and I'm a huge fan of Indian food, so we'd like to take advantage of these cuisines if it's worth it. Thanks so much for your feedback!

We did "A Taste of India" on Spirit last September and it was excellent. Back then it was served family-style in the Tatami room of Shanghai's. Now, as I've read here, it's served as a buffet in a section of Spirit's smaller main dining room. Many of the chefs on Spirit are Indian and the selection last September was amazing. We ate for three hours with at least a dozen different dishes.

We have friends who love sushi and they're just back from a Spirit cruise to Bermuda where they had sushi three times thought it was excellent.

Sounds tantalizing: we're on the Spirit 7/30 cruise to Bermuda and didn't know about the "Taste of India." Makes sense that with all the chefs from India it would be good. Also, about the sushi: how do they keep all the fish fresh? Is it all frozen? If it is, I wonder if my local Sushi place at home does frozen fish as well? Could sushi made with frozen fish be good?

On average, how much does the Taste of India cost and how do you find out about it once on the ship? Also, does anyone know how much the sushi is?

Questions, questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

--Amy

On average, how much does the Taste of India cost and how do you find out about it once on the ship? Also, does anyone know how much the sushi is?

A recent thread said A Taste of India is now served at lunch, not dinner. As I recall the cost was $10-15. Can't remember specifically. We'll do it again on the fall Spirit repo to NOLA.

Thanks sottovoce very much for the info; sounds like the Taste of India is definitely worth a try!

Still wondering if anyone knows about the sushi:

Specifically: I'm confused about how the sushi is priced-- somewhere I read that it's $15 for all-you-can-eat, elsewhere I've read that it's priced a la carte. In either case, is there a good selection of sashimi and nigiri favorites (hamachi, maguro, eel, striped bass, octopus)? If it's indeed a la carte, how are the prices?

There are great Indian dishes in the buffet, some for lunch, more for dinner. These were so good that after dinner, if I could sneak away from my spouse, I would go to the buffet to snack on them.

Bill

Taste of India Info...

It cost $15 per person and it was a buffet lunch held in the Garden Main Dining Room on the last sea day. I did it on the Spirit sailing in late May to Bermuda. It had a nice arrangement of Indian cuisine from appetizers straight through to traditional Indian desserts. The members of the crew from India were in their traditional outfits. In the centerpiece of the buffet was a nice ice sculpture of a Buddha. It was very well presented but not very well attended on our cruise.

Definitely take advantage of it! :)

we were on Pearl earlier this year and the sushi is all you can eat for $15/PP and its was yummy :)

Seriously?! Oh, wow, if it's anything like this on Spirit, we're going to be in trouble. I'm going to have a tough time convincing my husband to go anywhere else!

I can confirm that "Taste of India" costs $15. In the atrium (main lobby) of the ship, on Deck 7, there is a special desk -- to the right of "Guest Services" -- where you can view all the menus of the specialty restaurants [sRs], as well as the current day's main-dining-room menu. At this desk, you can also ... learn the price of each SR meal ... and make reservations for the SRs (for the current and future days) -- including "Taste of India."

When I was aboard the Spirit (Autumn of 2009 and May of 2010 [bermuda]), "Taste of India" was still being offered, once per cruise, from about 7:30 PM to 10:00 PM in a large back room of the Asian SR. The capacity was about 24, and the meal was served "family style," not a la carte. I dined there on both cruises, and it was fantastic both times (worth more than the price). Everything was delicious and there was no one to blame but oneself if one left in any condition other than "stuffed."

In May, the head chef told me that there was such a demand for Taste of India that it was going to be served "buffet style" (for $15), in a MDR, on the next cruise. Apparently, some folks had had to be turned away previously, due to the limited capacity in the Asian SR. Since then, however, I have seen people posting that Taste of India has been served BOTH ways -- perhaps depending on the advance demand.

I think that more people would enjoy the way I had Taste of India than buffet style, because it was so "personal" -- with constant interplay between passengers and Indian crew members (Maitre d', servers, and chefs). Even so, however, I would do it buffet style in the future, because it was just so delicious.

Sorry that I cannot express any opinion about the Sushi on the Spirit. I tried sushi several years ago, for the first time in my life. Although I didn't hate it, I found it very cold/bland/boring and realized that it is a "scam." They get you to swallow some very filling rice, which soaks up the water you drink and is inflated in your stomach, so that you end up eating very little. It is a way for a SR (or any Japanese restaurant on land) to fool you by charging you a lot of "yen," while spending very little themselves!

Taste of India Info...

It cost $15 per person and it was a buffet lunch held in the Garden Main Dining Room on the last sea day. I did it on the Spirit sailing in late May to Bermuda. It had a nice arrangement of Indian cuisine from appetizers straight through to traditional Indian desserts. The members of the crew from India were in their traditional outfits. In the centerpiece of the buffet was a nice ice sculpture of a Buddha. It was very well presented but not very well attended on our cruise.

Definitely take advantage of it! :)

This sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm determined to do the Taste of India now. The only problem I can forsee is that with a multi-course meal, my 21-month old son is likely to get a bit antsy. Do you happen to recall approximately how long the meal took from beginning to end? I'm just wondering if I should go solo on this one (yeah, I'm that into Indian food!).

Hello, "Lulubelle6805."

As I noted above, if Taste of India is served in the Asian SR, it goes from about 7:00 to 9:30 or 7:30 to 10:00 ... but you are free to get up and leave before it is finished, if necessary.

If, on the other hand, Taste of India is served as a buffet luncheon, then it would take only as long as you need it to take. All the items would be displayed and available for you to take for as long as you wish to eat.

I'm sure that you will enjoy it!

This sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm determined to do the Taste of India now. The only problem I can forsee is that with a multi-course meal, my 21-month old son is likely to get a bit antsy. Do you happen to recall approximately how long the meal took from beginning to end? I'm just wondering if I should go solo on this one (yeah, I'm that into Indian food!).

It's a buffet with times when the dining room is open. I believe it was a two hour time window for when you could show up so it was between 11:30AM to 1:30PM if I recall correctly. There was no set dining time and they had more than enough seating for all in attendance. :) The waitstaff is very attentive and truly appreciates feedback. If you have any questions about what you're looking at they are glad to explain the dish to you and it's ingredients. :D

It's a buffet with times when the dining room is open. I believe it was a two hour time window for when you could show up so it was between 11:30AM to 1:30PM if I recall correctly. There was no set dining time and they had more than enough seating for all in attendance. :) The waitstaff is very attentive and truly appreciates feedback. If you have any questions about what you're looking at they are glad to explain the dish to you and it's ingredients. :D

I am there!! Went to this dinner last year and it was amazing...I encourage all to go cause it was more that worth it!

I also agree that sushi is overpriced but not at $15 for all you can eat...did that too last year and it was very good!

Can someone tell me about the Indian dishes? All I know is curry and lamb ... but realize there is much more to it?

As for sushi .... we have had the sushi on the POA, Star, and the Sun ... and loved it! Last year on the Sun, we actually went twice ... although it was only $10 p.p. at the time. I never realized how many different items they could put into sushi. One of my favorites was the shrimp with caramelized nuts ... crunchy and sweet!

Archived