So, Embassy Suites in Parsippany??

We're leaving from Brooklyn on Saturday Sept. 11 and want to drive in the night before. No sightseeing, just a place to stay so we can wake up about an hour's drive from the pier.

I see a great deal at Embassy Suites in Parsippany. Is this an acceptable place to rest for the night? Can we get to Red Hook from there without too much confusion or problem?

I searched for other threads with this hotel but saw some conflicting opinions of the location...hoping for more info.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Embassy Suites in Parsippany looks fine - what is the price? There are some great deals in that area for 9/10 on Hotwire - a 3* for $56, a 3 1/2* for $57, and a 4* for $66. Any of these would be fine for that kind of price!

If it were me going to Brooklyn from that area, I'd leave about 9:30 am and take I80 to the GW Bridge, the Henry Hudson Parkway south to 57th St and 12th Ave/West St to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (local streets) and follow the terminal directions from there. However, let's wait for the expert greatam to chime in.

Thank you so much, 138east!

Its reassuring to hear it seems fine, and thank you for the directions. I appreciate it SO MUCH.

I thought it was good but the hotwire prices you posted are even better so I will keep searching!

The area does seem good for prices so it might be a good area to rest up for party time on the Carribbean Princess, lol.

Does anyone know if the "Manger's Reception" has free drinks (I mean drinks, lol) or am I just dreaming?:D

Parsippany is a nice suburban area and a 3* hotel should really be a 3* hotel. You can look at betterbidding to see what the possibilities might be. The prices are so good on Hotwire (probably even better on Priceline if you want to fool with that) that it seems worth the risk. Bottom line - if it's a decent hotel, who cares where you stay for one night? Even if the hotel is a bit off I80, it really won't matter. By the time you get to Parsipanny, you will be ready to get off the road before dealing with the NY metro traffic.

Still haven't heard from greatam about the route to Brooklyn.

Still haven't heard from greatam about the route to Brooklyn.

How comfortable is the OP driving through NYC? And on Sept 11, there could be a lot of Manhattan traffic.

I still say for those who have never driven through NYC and may not be really saavy about East Coast big city driving, it is just easier to take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 13, cross the Goethals and Verranzano, get on the BQE (278) and get off at the port. Good signage all the way, interstate driving, no real place to get lost (until you get around the port). A few miles out of the way (about 15-18). No extra tolls, as the NJTP toll is offset by the tunnel toll. And the views from the top of the Verranzano are always spectacular. I would imagine there will be all kinds of flags flying at the WTC on Sept 11. Should be able to see that from the Verranzano. JMHO

As always you are so right, greatam. I wasn't paying attention to the date (and I should have because I am sailing from Bayonne on Sept 11).

Cruisin Jedi - you really don't want to drive through Manhattan on 9/11. It will be worth the extra toll money to go around. Two nights ago I drove across Staten Island from the Outerbridge Crossing to very close to the Brooklyn cruise terminal and it was fine. It's all interstate driving until the very end.

How comfortable is the OP driving through NYC? And on Sept 11, there could be a lot of Manhattan traffic.

I still say for those who have never driven through NYC and may not be really saavy about East Coast big city driving, it is just easier to take the NJ Turnpike to Exit 13, cross the Goethals and Verranzano, get on the BQE (278) and get off at the port. Good signage all the way, interstate driving, no real place to get lost (until you get around the port). A few miles out of the way (about 15-18). No extra tolls, as the NJTP toll is offset by the tunnel toll. And the views from the top of the Verranzano are always spectacular. I would imagine there will be all kinds of flags flying at the WTC on Sept 11. Should be able to see that from the Verranzano. JMHO

Comfortable driving in NYC? We've done it before like 15 years ago, but would prefer not to really. Thank you for the great suggestions on the route. Think we'll do that!

Thanks 138east and greatam! :)

Just a bit about the tolls. NJ Turnpike from Exit 18 to 13 is $3.10. Goethals Bridge is $8. On the return the Verrazano is $11 and the turnpike is $3.10. I think that's right, but ... feel free to correct me.

Archived