NYC departure on time ... does it ever happen?

sebas030

Hi,

On our last cruise the ship left the dock almost 2 hours late.

This week end I was in NYC and went past pier 88 and saw the Dawn still at pier well after it's schedule time.

I am again leaving from NYC on my future cruise, Will we be late again ??

I heard it is due to the height of the ship under the bridge leaving NYC and the time of the tide.

Did you ever leave on time ??

Only sailed out of NYC on the Dawn once. I seem to recall it was a little late, but I was sitting on my balcony sipping champagne, so it didn't matter a bit. As long as I was on the ship all was well with the world!

Hi,

This week end I was in NYC and went past pier 88 and saw the Dawn still at pier well after it's schedule time.

I heard it is due to the height of the ship under the bridge leaving NYC and the time of the tide.

We have left from NYC 3 times and always left on time:D

Hi,

I would be more concerned about the ship leaving early rather than late which does happen on occasion in hurricane season.

Does it really matter?

Have you ever arrived late to a scheduled port and miss a shore excursion? That would matter!!!

When we got to the pier in NYC at 12 noon on June 15, 2003, the Dawn was not there.:eek: Nobody could or would tell us anything. Instead of arriving at 7-8AM, it arrived at 6PM, we boarded at 8PM and took off at 10PM. At around 4pm dh wanted to cancel the trip.

It was not fun being so upset and exhausted & eating dinner at 11PM while going under the Verrazano. They did give free drinks that night but people were to tired to take advantage and enjoy.

It seems that a lot of passengers were informed that there was a delay and not to come to the pier too early. WE never got a call other wise we could have stayed home or better yet joined my family for lunch since it was father's day.

The story we got was that there was a sick child that needed to be taken off the ship by helicopter and a while later they needed to get a sick crew member off in VA. It would have been nice if they had told us all.

Our first port was Florida on Tues. (dh's birthday) and at first they said we wouldn't make our shore excursion, (theme park), and next thing we know we work up to tickets under our door stating we should be down to catch our bus at a certain hour. Got to the park at 12:30 and they wouldn't let us in until 1:00 since that was the time on the ticket. We only had a few short hours since every thing was still behind from pulling out so damn late. If we had known that we would have never gone to the park.

Waiting to pull out for 10 hours really sucks. We hated everything about the Dawn. I went on its sister ship to Alaska the following year with a $200 OBC since I had complained about the previous cruise. No problems with the Alaska cruise.

We went on the Dawn to Bermuda last year and decided to upgrade to a penthouse and with all the VIP treatment and a great butler we couldn't complain about anything. (but then again I was just glad the ship was there when I pulled up in the cab) lol

Booked the same cabin on the Dawn for this Sept. going to Canada/NE. :D

When we got to the pier in NYC at 12 noon on June 15, 2003, the Dawn was not there.:eek: Nobody could or would tell us anything. Instead of arriving at 7-8AM, it arrived at 6PM, we boarded at 8PM and took off at 10PM. At around 4pm dh wanted to cancel the trip.

The story we got was that there was a sick child that needed to be taken off the ship by helicopter and a while later they needed to get a sick crew member off in VA. It would have been nice if they had told us. :D

I was on the cruise before you. I had to check the year in my signature to be sure, but I remember the week because my mom turned 50 on the 13th of June, and we celebrated onboard. There was a medical evacuation on the first full sea day back from the Bahamas (in VA) and we were told that we'd be late into NYC the next day, but the capt didn't give us an ETA because they were trying to make up as much time as possible. It's funny, prior to that, I would have told you that getting extra time tacked on a cruise would be great, particulary since the first seven days of the cruise were great. Boy, the "bonus" day was not fun at all. Most things were closed and passengers were anxious about flights, etc. The crew seemed very stressed too. I often wondered how things went for the next set of passengers. Now I know.

To answer the OP, all of my 6 departures from NY have been on time. Fingers crossed for this Sunday - I'm on the Dawn to Bermuda.

6 times out of NYC and only once were we delayed and that was only 30 minutes. I guess the big difference is whether you are on the ship (and don't really care) or on the pier waiting to get on, which would really suck!

I was on the Dawn July 4-11. We arrived back in NYC on time, but then the ship was being refueled as we were trying to disembark. This created a lot of back-up (and a lot of standing in line) while trying to get off the ship. They typically have two gangways to leave, but had to close one due to the refueling. I assume this contributed to the delay in the next cruise leaving since passengers were not all off the ship early and the crew could not clean the ship. That being said, we left right on time on July 4.

Does it really matter?

Have you ever arrived late to a scheduled port and miss a shore excursion? That would matter!!!

Ok, I know it is not a question of life or death, but last feb it was our first cruise and we really wanted to sail away sitting in front of the ship on top of the spinnaker lounge and see NYC from first row. We got on a large chair 15 minutes before schedule departure time and we were the only crary people to stand there all that time in freezing weather.

But the view was great.

Our next cruise will also the the first for my brother in law and his wife. I just wanted to know if we needed to got on deck on time for schedule departure time or we should go later and avoid the wait.

The good news is, chances are the ship will sail on time..... I can't wait....

Thanks all

6 of our 7 cruises left on time (4CCL, 2 NCL, 1 Princess). The one cruise was late by almost a day because of a medical emergency.

What would really suck is if I were standing there, on the Pier, watching the sailaway. As long as I'm on the ship I really don't care if we leave late, just keep the drinks flowing and keep telling me I'm on vacation:D:D

I was on the cruise before you. I had to check the year in my signature to be sure, but I remember the week because my mom turned 50 on the 13th of June, and we celebrated onboard. There was a medical evacuation on the first full sea day back from the Bahamas (in VA) and we were told that we'd be late into NYC the next day, but the capt didn't give us an ETA because they were trying to make up as much time as possible. It's funny, prior to that, I would have told you that getting extra time tacked on a cruise would be great, particulary since the first seven days of the cruise were great. Boy, the "bonus" day was not fun at all. Most things were closed and passengers were anxious about flights, etc. The crew seemed very stressed too. I often wondered how things went for the next set of passengers. Now I know.

To answer the OP, all of my 6 departures from NY have been on time. Fingers crossed for this Sunday - I'm on the Dawn to Bermuda.

I only wish I knew what was going on instead of NCL playing dumb that day. No one at the desk would help us and I even tried calling NCL.

If we had known anything, we could have gone walking around or gone to the Intrepid i/o just standing there looking and waiting for nothing.:mad:

I did start to feel sorry for the people stuck on the ship because of airlines, people picking them up and didn't know they would be late, getting back to their kids, and even having to pick up animals....the kennel would be closed by the time they got there. What if they had other plans? A wedding to attend? I could just imagine what everyone went thru.

It took them hours to get us tables and chairs and food & drink. Funny thing was when the ship pulled in they came out with loads of food for us.

Since they knew about this for a day or two they should have been prepared to handle us in the terminal.

I really had to feel for the crew since they most likely weren't allowed off the ship. I know some go and rent movies to watch since we walked off with a few crew members one year and he was heading to a movie rental place.

When the ship pulled in I saw ppl on the balconies and I was like, I hope the sheets weren't changed and ppl slept in the beds and re-made it. lol

Last year we stayed in the city and I tried looking out the side window of the Marriott Marquis to see it pass by but I needed to look at at the exact time it was passing by. lol When the cab got near the ship my heart was not beating until I saw her sitting there in the pier. lol

In Sept. I should have my sister stand in front of her window which faces the water and she could let me know for sure that the Dawn is indeed coming under the Verrazano and passing her in Bklyn to get to Manhattan to pick me up. :D

Like I've already said, we sailed the Dawn to Bermuda last year and loved it!

Have a wonderful cruise next week. Enjoy!! Let me know if I need to know anything for my cruise. Like did many of the crew go to the Epic?:eek: ,

If the ship you are scheduled to leave on arrives in New York later than it was supposed to, does NCL notify you so you can get to the pier later?

I do not think you would get a notification, for many reasons.

At what point does it become an issue? 1 hr, 2 hrs, 4 hrs?

Can they even find you? Calling 2 thousand people is rather difficult.

If you were enroute, is there anything you could do anyways? (tell the plane to slow down, cab to pull over, etc)

Maybe they hope to make up for lost time.

Maybe they really do not KNOW exactly when they will arrive due to weather, river currents, coast guard, customs, pier handlers, etc.

I do not think you would get a notification, for many reasons.

At what point does it become an issue? 1 hr, 2 hrs, 4 hrs?

Can they even find you? Calling 2 thousand people is rather difficult.

If you were enroute, is there anything you could do anyways? (tell the plane to slow down, cab to pull over, etc)

Maybe they hope to make up for lost time.

Maybe they really do not KNOW exactly when they will arrive due to weather, river currents, coast guard, customs, pier handlers, etc.[/quote

How can the captain NOT know??? He has to have some idea or else he's in the wrong business.

They could send out a massive e-mail to ALL travel agencies advising them of the delay and the TA's can call the people they booked on that particular ship.

Lots of people were notified not to get to the pier too early when I encountered that cruise from hell.

Like Ralph said, NCL was aware they were going to arrive late the day before they were due back. Plenty of time to inform just about everyone.

For those who live nearby or staying with relative or friends or in a hotel could have found something else to do for 5 or more hours instead of sitting in that terrible terminal.

Sometimes it is easy to know what is happening. Sometimes it is not.

The Captain can very easily NOT KNOW when they will dock due to issues with a few dozen regulatory agencies, all getting the noses into the mix. Currents, dock issues, security in the harbor, union problems, etc. etc.

And, sometimes the Captain knows exactly as the one and only delay is due to issues at sea where he has some control and knowledge.

Having TA's contact all their clients on Saturday. Sorry, but I am ROFLMAO over that one. (apologies to those that do work Saturday/Sunday and do contact their clients)

Archived