Carnival Ecstasy and Anytime Dining + other questions

milomlo

We are back to try Carnival. We sailed a few years ago on the Celebration. We really didn't have a good time. My husband really doesn't even want to do this trip. I am hoping it is MUCH beter. This time we are bringing our kids (ages 8 and 12). We leave Monday (7-19) on the Ecstasy.

First question is about Anytime Dining. How is this? The one joy on our last cruise was the dining. I understand with ATD that we will not have the same waiter and be seated with different people. I hope all that is ok. However, how is it really from folks with experience? Do you get the same service? Are there long waits? Do I call ahead to let them know we will "be down" at a certain time? Can I request the same table or waiter or not to be seated with people we may not "click with". Maybe I am giving this to much thought.

The second this is - is there alot to do? Our last cruise was boring. There were several clubs, but none of them were open at the same time. Seemed as though when one got good and going it closed and they opened another. It just didn't flow well. Of course now we are with our kids so it will be different this time. We are older now so maybe not seeking the "clubing" tha we used to. But I just don't want my husband to be bored again. He is not one who likes to just sit. He likes to do things...:rolleyes: Of course to our downfall I believe we didn't realize that we needed to be reading that little newspaper they give you. We figured it out the last day. Is that the trick to all the "stuff" to do?

Kids groups - do they have fun? My 12 year old thinks he is a teenager already and of course really doesn't want to go to the kids stuff. Really my 8 year old is not excited about that part either. Carnival really hasn't given me any information on it. They sent a book, this is really just a waste of their money.

I've only cruised once (with a few female friends), but I think I'll have a better feel for what to "do" on my next cruise. YES---read the Fun Times (that little newspaper they deliver to you). I kept all of mine and brought them home. Afterward, I was surprised at all that we'd missed!

My husband will be going on his first cruise in December, and he is also a person who likes "doing" things. I'm hoping he won't be bored...or that he'll at least learn to enjoy having down time.

Please write a review of the Ecstasy when you return! I'm sailing that ship with my two girlfriends in April!

Anytime dining you can ask to sit by yourself. Unless you request it, they wouldnt sit you with others, its your choice when you walk up (some pre-reserve a time).

It was on the right hand side of the middle dining room I think, wind star. (I should remember better since it was only over July 4th).

Kids groups - do they have fun? My 12 year old thinks he is a teenager already and of course really doesn't want to go to the kids stuff. Really my 8 year old is not excited about that part either. Carnival really hasn't given me any information on it. They sent a book, this is really just a waste of their money.

Our grandkids were 12 Dec 2008 and 13 Dec 2009 when we took all our family on Carnival Ecstasy. Our kids made lots of friends and hung around with them day and night. At that age they can decide to participate in the organized activities or not. Ours would take advantage of some of the evening club activities and go with their new friends to the pool or hot tub during the day. Also, there were scavenger hunts, trivia, and other daytime activities available for kids and adults.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

We are back to try Carnival. We sailed a few years ago on the Celebration. We really didn't have a good time. My husband really doesn't even want to do this trip. I am hoping it is MUCH beter. This time we are bringing our kids (ages 8 and 12). We leave Monday (7-19) on the Ecstasy.

First question is about Anytime Dining. How is this? The one joy on our last cruise was the dining. I understand with ATD that we will not have the same waiter and be seated with different people. I hope all that is ok. However, how is it really from folks with experience? Do you get the same service? Are there long waits? Do I call ahead to let them know we will "be down" at a certain time? Can I request the same table or waiter or not to be seated with people we may not "click with". Maybe I am giving this to much thought. We sailed on her back in May had "my time" and loved it. You can ask for the size table you want. We showed up around the same time each night and they sat us with the same wait team each nigh. Not always the same table but the same team. No need to call ahead, just ask when you get there, if possible they will fill your request. Relax it will be OK. :)

The second this is - is there alot to do? Our last cruise was boring. There were several clubs, but none of them were open at the same time. Seemed as though when one got good and going it closed and they opened another. It just didn't flow well. Of course now we are with our kids so it will be different this time. We are older now so maybe not seeking the "clubing" tha we used to. But I just don't want my husband to be bored again. He is not one who likes to just sit. He likes to do things...:rolleyes: Of course to our downfall I believe we didn't realize that we needed to be reading that little newspaper they give you. We figured it out the last day. Is that the trick to all the "stuff" to do? Read your Fun Times you can also pick one up at just about any bar if you forget yours in the cabin. They have a lot going on during the day on the Lido Deck and along the Promanade. At night there's always something happening you just have to find it.....;)

Your kids will find plenty to do. Chances are this time of year there will be lots of others their age. If nothing else the water works slides and putt-putt golf will keep them going for a while. You can sign them up for Camp Carnival but if it's an activity they don't want to do no big deal. But I have noticed some of the dance clubs reserved late evening for the "tween" age group so they might want to at least check it out. They can also go to Karaoke. Just pulled out the Fun Times from the first night, looks like around 5pm they do a meet and greet type event for they age groups your kids are in. CHECK your fun times that first day for more info.

Don't stress you'll have a Fun Cruise. Everyone will find something they enjoy as for you take a few hours and head to Serenity you deserve a little down time! Any other questions post them we're all Happy to give you our thoughts on things! :D

Are there any onboard tours that my kids might enjoy? Say where they can see the Captain or something like that?

Some ships have a "Behind the Fun" tour. It's pricey and limited so you have so sign up for it when you first get on board. For more info, see the FAQ on it at Carnival.com

thanks forwardcabin! I looked it up, but minors have to be 13 and both of my kids are younger than that. That is disappointing as I am sure they'd both enjoy that.

Any other tips anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

First question is about Anytime Dining. How is this? The one joy on our last cruise was the dining. I understand with ATD that we will not have the same waiter and be seated with different people. I hope all that is ok. However, how is it really from folks with experience? Do you get the same service? Are there long waits? Do I call ahead to let them know we will "be down" at a certain time? Can I request the same table or waiter or not to be seated with people we may not "click with". Maybe I am giving this to much thought.

The second this is - is there alot to do? Our last cruise was boring. There were several clubs, but none of them were open at the same time. Seemed as though when one got good and going it closed and they opened another. It just didn't flow well. Of course now we are with our kids so it will be different this time. We are older now so maybe not seeking the "clubing" tha we used to. But I just don't want my husband to be bored again. He is not one who likes to just sit. He likes to do things...:rolleyes: Of course to our downfall I believe we didn't realize that we needed to be reading that little newspaper they give you. We figured it out the last day. Is that the trick to all the "stuff" to do?

I LOVE the Ecstasy! She's very lovely! She has all of the Evolution of Fun upgrades including the Serenity Adults Only area at the aft end of the ship.

The clubs are beautiful... my personal favorite is Stripes.

Your cruise director, Steve Cassel, is fantastic... one of the best.

You can see my pictures from our cruise in February here:

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/mach_man/Crazies%20in%20Ecstasy%20Feb%2020/

Please say hi to Steve for me. He's a great guy and one amazing fiddle player!!

:)

Archived