Embarkation: carry bagage myself?

Montalbano

Hi,

As first time (NCL) cruisers, we have booked on the NCL Jade in October from Barcelona.

We will travel with hard-shell carry-on luggage (biggest size cabin luggage accepted by our airline, 21.5"x16"x8").

Is it normal to not check-in such a case when embarking on the ship? I would like to carry it myself. Or is that absolutely not-done?

Hi,

As first time (NCL) cruisers, we have booked on the NCL Jade in October from Barcelona.

We will travel with hard-shell carry-on luggage (biggest size cabin luggage accepted by our airline, 21.5"x16"x8").

Is it normal to not check-in such a case when embarking on the ship? I would like to carry it myself. Or is that absolutely not-done?

You can bring it on. Once aboard, you can either haul it around or they set up and area that you drop it off, and then pick it up when they open the cabins. They give you a claim ticket, like a coat check

You can bring it on. Once aboard, you can either haul it around or they set up and area that you drop it off, and then pick it up when they open the cabins. They give you a claim ticket, like a coat check

Thanks!

I believe that anything you carry on to the ship has to fit through the x-ray machine at the security check point. So if it made it through as a carry on at the airport it should make it through the port security.

You can only bring carry ons onto the ship...they have to be able to pass through the xray machine, just like at the airport. You will not be able to bring anything bigger on board and you will have to leave it with the porters...

Not true was on the Spirit last month. Husband and I carried are luggage on board. As long as it fits under the security scanner you are all set.

You are so right. People continue to say it must be of airline size, but in reality I have watched some rather large bags go through the scanner. If you can get it on the belt, it should go through.

In fact, we did a one day our of NYC, followed by a 10 day cruise. They were not doing any curbside checking of bags at all due to the one day cruise. We dragged everything onboard with no problem.

@Montalbano

You may be able to bring your luggage on board, but what then? Your cabin probably will not be ready yet. Without luggage you could go to the restaurant or buffet for a snack. While we always hand our luggage over to a porter before checking in, we always walk off the ship with *all* pieces. That way we're off very early, no need to wait for our color to be called.

@Montalbano

You may be able to bring your luggage on board, but what then? Your cabin probably will not be ready yet. Without luggage you could go to the restaurant or buffet for a snack. While we always hand our luggage over to a porter before checking in, we always walk off the ship with *all* pieces. That way we're off very early, no need to wait for our color to be called.

Good point. I think we will board around 15.00 so maybe at that time the cabins will be ready?

The cases are small so we could just take them along to the buffet, or is that not allowed?

Good point. I think we will board around 15.00 so maybe at that time the cabins will be ready?

The cases are small so we could just take them along to the buffet, or is that not allowed?

Cabins are usually ready by 2, so if you're boarding around 3, you'll be able to drop them off in your cabin.

I see people carry small bags around to both the buffet and to the MDR. If it doesn't bother you, go right ahead.

P.S. If you're boarding at 3, the MDR will be closed by then. Even the buffet may have stopped serving by then because most services stop around then in order to prepare for the muster drill, which usually occurs around 3:30.

P.P.S. You can possibly ignore my P.S. since I was assuming that you would be sailing at 4pm. Since you're doing a Med cruise sailing from Barcelona, I have no idea what time your departure time and/or muster drill will be. However, based on all of my NCL cruises, I still think that 3pm may be a "dead time" for finding food. One of the few options might be the Blue Lagoon.

Yep, large things can fit through the scanner, and yours doesn't sound monsterous. As someone said above, you should be able to drop luggage in a designated area if your rooms aren't ready yet, and they'll give you a bag tag/number for picking it up later. The info will be visible when you board the ship. If not, ask at the front desk.

At least that has always been my experience.

... We will travel with hard-shell carry-on luggage (biggest size cabin luggage accepted by our airline, 21.5"x16"x8"). ... I would like to carry it myself. Or is that absolutely not-done?

How someone else addressed the problem: http://www.entertonement.com/clips/twlkbbxskm--Joe-Versus-the-Volcano-Tom-Hanks-Joe-Banks-Barry-McGovern-This-is-our-premeir-steamer-trunk

InThe

Your cabin will probably be ready by 2pm so you should be able to go straight there to drop off your cases. If not, you can always drop them off at the "coat check" as mentioned by Romrai above. Also, you would have no problem taking cases that size to the buffet although it would be rather awkward for you to manoeuvre a case and a plate of food at the same time. If one of you got a table and popped the cases underneath you'd have no problem. I definitely think if you only have small cases taking your own luggage on board is the way to go (it wouldn't be an option for heavy-duty packers like me! :D) so you don't have to wait for it to arrive. Enjoy the Western Med, it's a great itinerary.

Archived