What are the highlights of a Costa cruise

Jo and Rob

Did not enjoy my Costa cruise. Lots of smoking, subpar food and service. If you're looking for a European-type of cruise experience rather than what you'd find on cruise lines that are based in the US/Canada, then it might work for you, but be prepared for everything done in multiple languages. Costa is also not known for the best kid's program. Remember, there's a reason why some cruise lines are so inexpensive.

Costa and MSC cater to Europeans...Not to you in the UK necessarily. Many of their customers are going just to get away, and don't get off the ship in port. So port times may be shorter. Few tours are offered in English, and they may be cancelled if not enough sign up. No free beverages at dinner...you have to buy a water package. Look before you leap. EM

Costa and MSC cater to Europeans...Not to you in the UK necessarily. Many of their customers are going just to get away, and don't get off the ship in port. So port times may be shorter. Few tours are offered in English, and they may be cancelled if not enough sign up. No free beverages at dinner...you have to buy a water package. Look before you leap. EM

Actually I will disagree with some of these statements. I was on Costa in February and I had TABLE (tap) water for dinner. I also had free iced tea with my dinner. All tours we went on were in English. We had no problems with either of the tours we signed up for.

Actually I will disagree with some of these statements. I was on Costa in February and I had TABLE (tap) water for dinner. I also had free iced tea with my dinner. All tours we went on were in English. We had no problems with either of the tours we signed up for.

My experience was different on the tours. Not many English speaking tours offered because not many English speakers on board. Most tours were in Italian, Spanish and Greek.

Thank you for the positive comment! :)

I can't believe how sarcastic people are if I wanted comments knocking Costa I would have asked for it. :rolleyes: Anyone heard of the saying "If you can't say anything nice..." We haven't all got the funds to travel on Cunard and I too have been doing a lot of research and found that tap water and regular coffee are available and complementary, but not served automatically.

We live in Europe with a wealth of different languages so why would anyone be surprised that this is reflected in the make up of the passengers on an Italian ship? Personally I love meeting people from all over the world (not just English speakers!) and love the fact that my children 5 and 8 ask me how to say things in Spanish and French when we are holiday abroad.

Personally, speaking as a French teacher, I wish more people would make the effort to learn someone else's language rather than arrogantly assume that everyone should speak English even when you are on a foreign ship in a foreign country. :mad: After all if an Italian cruised on an Americain ship in the Caribbean, I can't see him assuming that there would be a tour offered in Italian!

Obviously Costa does offer English tours from the comment above but if you want an English exclusive tour, I'm sure there are many English speaking private tours available and recommended by Cruise critic posts it just takes a little effort and preparation. ;)

I'll get off my soap box now!

From a friend who went on Costa this year, each night at dinner was a specific theme and they encouraged dress and participation, example, toga night, Italian night and they would have music and menu's to match the theme. They said it was a very relaxed cruise but enough activities to keep you busy. Ice carvings, food tasting etc. They had a deck party one evening that was alot of fun. I am relaying this 2nd hand but they were very impressed especially since kids sailed for free.

I can't believe how sarcastic people are if I wanted comments knocking Costa I would have asked for it. :rolleyes: Anyone heard of the saying "If you can't say anything nice..."

We live in Europe with a wealth of different languages so why would anyone be surprised that this is reflected in the make up of the passengers on an Italian ship? Personally I love meeting people from all over the world (not just English speakers!) and love the fact that my children 5 and 8 ask me how to say things in Spanish and French when we are holiday abroad.

Personally, speaking as a French teacher, I wish more people would make the effort to learn someone else's language rather than arrogantly assume that everyone should speak English even when you are on a foreign ship in a foreign country. :mad:

When you ask for comments, you are going to get them all; positive and negative. I don't know how only positive comments are helpful. If people just post, "Oh, don't worry, you'll love it", how is that useful?

I did not see anyone "arrogantly assume" in any post on this thread that everyone on this ship should speak English. They merely provided information based on their experiences.

Europe is not the only area with a "wealth of languages". Personally, having grown up in California, and lived there my entire life but the last few years, I kind of wish more people in the US spoke English.

From a friend who went on Costa this year, each night at dinner was a specific theme and they encouraged dress and participation, example, toga night, Italian night and they would have music and menu's to match the theme. They said it was a very relaxed cruise but enough activities to keep you busy. Ice carvings, food tasting etc. They had a deck party one evening that was alot of fun. I am relaying this 2nd hand but they were very impressed especially since kids sailed for free.

I like the sound of the ice carvings I think the children will really enjoy them. I can't imagine what I would wear for a toga night! The deck party sounds good too. Thank you for your comments.

Jo and Rob, this is, after all, Cruise Critic, and not cruise rah, rah. Generally when one asks for information about a cruise line, it's only natural to get both the pros and cons. Why ask if you only want positives? Personally, when I ask a question about a cruise line or ship, I want to hear the good and the bad. That way I can ascertain whether or not a ship would be good for me. I also know to take totally positive or totally negative comments with a grain of salt. But personal experience is a great way to get to know a cruise line or ship.

You did not write that you have budgetary constraints and that Costa might be what you can afford. We don't know your situation, and therefore cannot comment on what we don't know. We can only post within the limits of what's asked. And, we can only comment on what we've experienced on the cruise we took. And for us, Costa was not good, whether people want to agree or not or whether someone wants to hear it or not.

I like the sound of the ice carvings I think the children will really enjoy them. I can't imagine what I would wear for a toga night! The deck party sounds good too. Thank you for your comments.

From what a friend told me, your room steward will provide you with sheets to make into togas and you can get help if you need it. My friend loved her Costa cruise!

My experience was different on the tours. Not many English speaking tours offered because not many English speakers on board. Most tours were in Italian, Spanish and Greek.

I'm honestly sorry to hear that. I had heard that this has happened to others in the past. I was told (somewhere ) that if they cancelled your tour d/t the lack of English speaking cruisers that they would put you with another tour group and make sure you had an English speaking host. On our cruise I guess we were lucky that 10% of the cruisers spoke English. I will confess we only signed up for 2 and they were in the biggest tour spots. (Egypt and Israel)

Thank you for the positive comment! :)

I can't believe how sarcastic people are if I wanted comments knocking Costa I would have asked for it. :rolleyes: Anyone heard of the saying "If you can't say anything nice..." We haven't all got the funds to travel on Cunard and I too have been doing a lot of research and found that tap water and regular coffee are available and complementary, but not served automatically.

!

Anytime. :) By the way the cappuccino that comes with morning room service is free too if I haven't mentioned it. Costa is one of those cruise lines that people tend to critique very roughly. I was lucky. I had a positive experience. Yeah the food quality isn't great ( We did not starve to death), limited announcements but you have to make the most of it. The ship was clean and the people were nice. It's more than what you get in most hotels!! LOL! Now if only I could teach them how to line up in buffet lines like the kids in school have to....... Oh wait! All cruise lines have that problem.

Archived