Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

Cruising Jedi

A lady I work with told me that she was allowed to bring her dog onboard. This is not a service dog of any type, just a pet dog. She was allowed to bring the dog with a few conditions.

1. Dog was confined to the cabin/balcony.

2. Dog was only allowed out for “walks” on deck between 5:00am-6:00am

3. She had to clean up any dog messes.

4. She had to pay what amounted to a security deposit in case there any damage, which she then got back by the end of the cruise.

5. If the dog was noisy or bothered passengers in any way, pooch walked the plank (well she would have to leave or make arrangements for pooch to leave at the next port.)

She also said her dog was not the only one!

I never thought pet dogs would be allowed on a cruise ship. Am I wrong? Is it a great big doggy park up there at 5:00 am when I’m snoring?

Is she full of…um…”imagination”?

I love dogs myself, but I don’t think they’d let my Newfoundland-Mastiff mix on board! :D (Nor would I want to spend my vacation stooping & scooping)

Hope no one minds I am going to post this on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian, because she told me it was one of those 4 lines but not which one.

Princess only allows service animals and I believe it's limited to dogs only. A cruise line that let people bring on any animal would definitely loose a lot of business from people who don't appreciate others pets no matter how sweet & cuddly they are to their owners.

Hi All,

Princess allows service dogs and I think the only reason is because US laws require to.

Cunard is the only line that allows pets to sail the high seas.

If Princess allowed pet dogs there are a few at Princess HQ who would have there dogs with them.

For dog to travel it needs to be trained to toilet on turf.

Dog will need a pet passport.

Princess supplies a large box and fresh turf, having cruised with a very nice service dog, its box was under a crew stair well, a crew person was ment to clean up but I am sure the owner offered to do this.

The dog was not restricted to any hours.

I for one am very happy to see service dogs on cruise ships,

I am not happy about dogs that are ment to de stress there owners being allowed on board a line needs to be drawn some place.

yours Shogun

You've asked this question on several boards already. The answer is the same. No, only true service dogs are allowed, and there is a whole lot of paperwork that the owner has to submit to, to prove that their dog is truly a service dog, and that the dog has all it's up-to-date shots and all, before they're allowed to come on board.

A lady I work with told me that she was allowed to bring her dog onboard. This is not a service dog of any type, just a pet dog. She was allowed to bring the dog with a few conditions.

4. She had to pay what amounted to a security deposit in case there any damage, which she then got back by the end of the cruise.

5. If the dog was noisy or bothered passengers in any way, pooch walked the plank (well she would have to leave or make arrangements for pooch to leave at the next port.)

I never thought pet dogs would be allowed on a cruise ship. Am I wrong? Is it a great big doggy park up there at 5:00 am when I’m snoring?

I love dogs myself, but I don’t think they’d let my Newfoundland-Mastiff mix on board! :D (Nor would I want to spend my vacation stooping & scooping)

Hope no one minds I am going to post this on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian, because she told me it was one of those 4 lines but not which one.

I'd love to bring my Bernese Mountain dog but he wouldn't survive the heat in the caribbean.lol (I'm leaving next Thurs. on CB and I'm going to miss him like crazy)

Ok, we'll go with the word "imagination". Yes, she is full of it. :D

I believe you've received your answer.

Doesn't sound like a very nice time for the dog.

The only cruise line that allows dogs (and it's limited) is Cunard. They have a special area of kennels for the animals and they are not allowed in the cabins. Princess only allows service dogs and I've seen only one on all the cruises I have ever taken.

In 2007 we cruised Alaska on Princess. There were about 25 service dogs, as a sight-impaired group sailed. Those dogs were better behaved than some children (and some adults) we have encountered!

All other pets should stay home!

Here are my doggies Olivia and Abby having a grand time on their cruise:

38242_1469226524451_1047227948_31330600_4852571_n.jpg

Seriously, the ships simply lack the infrastructure to accomodate pets in the cabin, not to mention the quarrantine and health restrictions at various ports. Would they be subject to the autotip? :D

In 2007 we cruised Alaska on Princess. There were about 25 service dogs, as a sight-impaired group sailed. Those dogs were better behaved than some children (and some adults) we have encountered!

All other pets should stay home!

I'm with you!

I've been on several cruises with service dogs. I'd rather have them than lots of children. At least they are quite and on a leash.

IF you need your pet with you maybe you should consider another type of vacation. S.

Can you even imagine the chaos (and smell!) if that were true? How many people would bring their pets? Think of all the doting pet-parents!

So many don't clean up after their animals on land, or don't train them to behave, certainly not within those kinds of confines! I wouldn't want to be on a ship that would allow pets. Service animals are a whole different thing, since they are, of necessity, extremely well trained (as are their owners)

Seriously, the ships simply lack the infrastructure to accomodate pets in the cabin, not to mention the quarrantine and health restrictions at various ports. Would they be subject to the autotip? :D

I am not a dog person, cat lover but you are having me reconsider:D

Never looked at a puppy and smiled until now....sooooo cute but don't tell my cat!

This is what is written in the Princess passenger contract:

10. NO ANIMALS.

No pets or other animals are allowed on the ship at any time except for certain necessary service animals of a disabled Passenger, which require written notification to the Carrier at the time of booking Your Cruise and Carrier's written approval. You agree to accept responsibility, reimburse and/or indemnify Carrier for any loss, damage or expense whatsoever related to the presence of any service animal brought on the Cruise. You further agree to determine and meet any documentary or other requirements related to the animal.

There were two service dogs on our most recent cruise, and a previous HAL cruise had two that were part of the magician's act. As much as I love dogs and miss mine terribly when I am on vacation, it would be cruel to bring her along. She's much happier running around on dry land than cooped in a kennel or a cabin.

There's a regular poster to these boards who travels with a service dog. I'm sure she could give us a first-hand account of her experience.

One thing I've seen on cruises is service dogs traveling with passengers who don't appear to be "challenged." When you do see a service dog on a ship, they are trained for more than assisting the visually-impaired. I've heard the grumbles about bringing a pet and they are misinformed about what a service dog can do.

There's a regular poster to these boards who travels with a service dog. I'm sure she could give us a first-hand account of her experience.

One thing I've seen on cruises is service dogs traveling with passengers who don't appear to be "challenged." When you do see a service dog on a ship, they are trained for more than assisting the visually-impaired. I've heard the grumbles about bringing a pet and they are misinformed about what a service dog can do.

I agree Pam - we saw a service dog with someone who by all appearences seemed perfectly health - after speaking to this lady for about an half an hour we found out the dog was a Hypoglycemic Alert Dog apparently the dogs can sense changes in blood sugar levels - which I find amazing.

Service dogs yes - others no IMHO - although some animals behave much better than some humans

I agree Pam - we saw a service dog with someone who by all appearences seemed perfectly health - after speaking to this lady for about an half an hour we found out the dog was a Hypoglycemic Alert Dog apparently the dogs can sense changes in blood sugar levels - which I find amazing.

Service dogs yes - others no IMHO - although some animals behave much better than some humans

We befriended a couple and their dog on a recent cruise. The dog was trained to

alert to a potential seizure. We had a great time with the dog and its owners for several

days,they were next to our balcony cabin and we often had the divider open.

However when they showed up on a tour that we were on without the dog we asked where the dog was and the answer was they didnt want to bring the dog out in the heat.

This tour lasted 6 hours, it was hot with a fair bit of walking. Would this not be dangerous

for a person prone to seizures?

Now this is only our experience with one set of circumstances. However, I now have a very

different view of these situations

Just my HO

I imagine Roz will see this thread, unless she's currently on a cruise now.

yes, there are service dogs (and other animals) that handle more disabilities than just impairment of sight. With Cunard, as stated aboard, the dogs are to remind in the kennel area.

I imagine your co-worker is just feeding you a story.

http://www.cunard.com/en-US/FAQs/General-Questions/

Does Cunard offer a kennel service? A kennel service is offered on board Queen Mary 2 and is available on all crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction. The kennel is overseen by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the spacious kennels. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on space availability. Please contact our Cunard Reservations Team for more details as well information regarding bringing service animals onboard..

"Hope no one minds I am going to post this on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian, because she told me it was one of those 4 lines but not which one."

WHY DIDN'T YOU POST ON THE CUNARD BOARD?

:confused::confused::p:confused::confused:

Ask her specifically on which cruise line and on which ship she traveled. It would be interesting to hear her response. If she cannot or will not give you that information, and unless she has a certified service animal, methinks she is shooting you a line of the proverbial bull pucky! ;)

http://www.cunard.com/en-US/FAQs/General-Questions/

Does Cunard offer a kennel service? A kennel service is offered on board Queen Mary 2 and is available on all crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction. The kennel is overseen by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the spacious kennels. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on space availability. Please contact our Cunard Reservations Team for more details as well information regarding bringing service animals onboard..

"Hope no one minds I am going to post this on Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Norwegian, because she told me it was one of those 4 lines but not which one."

WHY DIDN'T YOU POST ON THE CUNARD BOARD?

:confused::confused::p:confused::confused:

Because the OP stated her friend told her it was on either Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival or NCL - as she stated in her post. Why would she post on the Cunard Board??

Love the smile on the one on the right - and hope they were yelling "Man Overboard!"

Archived