Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

Cruising Jedi

Hey! I go to U.S. Bank and I've never been offered a tray of cookies. They were giving away these funny little frisbee's for dogs, nary a cookie in sight, the goat probably ate them all!

...with goat's milk to wash them down!!!!!!!!!!! :D

No cruise lines dogs on board . There are laws of transporting animals between countries . In some countries dogs have to quarantined in special kennels for 90 days+ ( the owner pays the bill approv 1000 to 2000 USD per animal) . the only cruise lines that allows dogs is Cunard and only on Trans Atlantic trips ( NY-Southampton) but not on any other voyage including world voyages.:cool:

One example of a service goat:

One woman shared with us that she trained a goat to help her re-gain her independence – specifically when going on hikes. She has a hearing impairment and trained her goat to alert her to sudden noises, so when she goes on a hike she doesn't have to wear her hearing aids – as she is afraid if she lost one, she wouldn't be able to afford purchasing a replacement. She also trained her goat to provide stability for her to help her up in case she falls.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/deltasociety/archives/162275.asp

Only in Seattle, sheesh. We also have goats that are rented out for weed and lawn control.

Roz,

I was thinking the same thing about attire for Brenda. We all take some

of those clothes , just the ones we take on cruises , 'island clothes'. Extra colorful, fun, vibrant things we think we should be wearing while in the Caribbean. Brenda needs to have vacation clothes too. Perhaps somebody you know that sews could make some travel clothes/vest for her that would be lighter weight and island attire ??

I would love to meet both of you on a cruise one day... I'm afraid I would be one of those people sneaking her an extra biscuit too !!

Sherri

Onboard cruise ships Brenda wears collars of different colors and styles.

The puppies in training wear bandanas that have the CCI logo on them and also say "Puppies In Training." I'm going to suggest that CCI provide the Graduate Teams with bandana's that just state "Service Dog!" I don't know if they'll recommend this to their graduates, they're always insisting that we use the "Vest" in all public places.

Great idea though, thank you.

You guys are too funny. Well, she was not wearing mountain climbing clothes. She sure didn't need a hearing aid. I will say, the goat was perfectly quiet and just stood there. Seeing a goat wearing a diaper was weird. I gave her the benefit of the doubt because of the diaper and its neat appearance, but when she took it over to the food tray, that's when my serious doubts popped up. It was in the US Bank across from the Topanga Mall.

Ah, no wonder. A Valley Girl (and no flaming, I was raised a Val).

I haven't seen cookies in Chase banks.:(

Roz,

I was thinking the same thing about attire for Brenda. We all take some

of those clothes , just the ones we take on cruises , 'island clothes'. Extra colorful, fun, vibrant things we think we should be wearing while in the Caribbean. Brenda needs to have vacation clothes too. Perhaps somebody you know that sews could make some travel clothes/vest for her that would be lighter weight and island attire ??

I would love to meet both of you on a cruise one day... I'm afraid I would be one of those people sneaking her an extra biscuit too !!

Sherri

Oh, that is a fantastic idea. Especially if the main color of the bandana is the same color as the vests.

No cruise lines dogs on board . There are laws of transporting animals between countries . In some countries dogs have to quarantined in special kennels for 90 days+ ( the owner pays the bill approv 1000 to 2000 USD per animal) . the only cruise lines that allows dogs is Cunard and only on Trans Atlantic trips ( NY-Southampton) but not on any other voyage including world voyages.:cool:

In reference to "pets", you are correct. Brenda is a "Service Dog" and has been on every major cruise line for the past 7 years. Service Dog handlers have to carry the Certificate of International Transport....signed by a "Certified Vet", not all Vets have this certification.

Service Dogs are not subject to the laws of quarantine. They MUST have a special rabies blood titer test done before entering some countries, including Hawaii, which has NEVER had a reported case of rabies, in its existence. They allow a longer period of time between entering their state and the testing being done for cruise ships, only. Usually, if flying into Hawaii the blood titer should have been drawn within a 48 hour window.

Cunard Lines allows for pet dogs but, the dog must stay in the kennel area and is NOT ALLOWED in the passenger areas or cabins. It's also expensive for the kennel care.

Ah' date=' no wonder. A Valley Girl (and no flaming, I was raised a Val). This is so funny......The poor Valley Girl gets such a bad rap. Both my daughters are "Valley Girls" but, like, I must say only one of them really acts/shops/and, insists on things like a "Valley Girl" would! :p

I haven't seen cookies in Chase banks.:(

Oh, that is a fantastic idea. Especially if the main color of the bandana is the same color as the vests.

I agree, it's a great idea. I'm going to suggest it. But, I know that CCI really insists that the "Vest" is ALWAYS recommended in ALL public areas. It definitely makes the Service Dog stand-out as different than a "pet dog!"

Ah' date=' no wonder. A Valley Girl (and no flaming, I was raised a Val).[/quote']

Oooh. Did you, like, ever talk, like a totally rad Valley Girl? :-P My age group just made fun of that kind of speak. My cousin, who is only a few years older, says that she used to talk like that.

I'd rather see some lettering in the same color as the vests. Or, perhaps, a special fabric print that would be in a bunch of island colors but each of the colored areas would say "Service Dog" or whatever the normal text is.

Roz: If you want clothes sewn for Brenda, try talking to a local scout troop or even high school robotics teams in the area which try to reach out to the community in a variety of ways. If you tell me where in LaLaLand you are located, I might be able to help you out with getting in touch with some people for this.

Oooh. Did you, like, ever talk, like a totally rad Valley Girl? :-P My age group just made fun of that kind of speak. My cousin, who is only a few years older, says that she used to talk like that.

I'd rather see some lettering in the same color as the vests. Or, perhaps, a special fabric print that would be in a bunch of island colors but each of the colored areas would say "Service Dog" or whatever the normal text is.

Roz: If you want clothes sewn for Brenda, try talking to a local scout troop or even high school robotics teams in the area which try to reach out to the community in a variety of ways. If you tell me where in LaLaLand you are located, I might be able to help you out with getting in touch with some people for this.

I live in the San Fernando Valley, which is a suberb of Los Angeles. I know that the Girl Scouts of America have a main office, very close to where I live. Should I contact them?

I also live and work close to many high schools here in the San Fernando Valley as well as Cal State Northridge. Should I contact one of them and see if they would like to take on a "service project" and make some bandana's for Brenda with the CCI insignia on them? Or, at least, the words "Service Dog." I've never thought of this before. :)

Here's how I would rank the ordering.

1. Boy Scouts of America. I believe they have to do some sort of service project, esp. if they are trying to attain a rank of Eagle Scout.

2. Girl Scouts of America. They may still have a patch for sewing. Or maybe one for community service.

3. BeachBots robotics team (in South Bay). Let me know if you need contact info for this or the next one.

4. Granada Hills High School robotics team.

5. CSUN Manufacturing Engineering department. Senior Design has a mandatory service component to it. Not sure if they have ever done something like clothing manufacturing before.

Hope this helps,

Here's how I would rank the ordering.

1. Boy Scouts of America. I believe they have to do some sort of service project, esp. if they are trying to attain a rank of Eagle Scout.

2. Girl Scouts of America. They may still have a patch for sewing. Or maybe one for community service.

3. BeachBots robotics team (in South Bay). Let me know if you need contact info for this or the next one.

4. Granada Hills High School robotics team.

5. CSUN Manufacturing Engineering department. Senior Design has a mandatory service component to it. Not sure if they have ever done something like clothing manufacturing before.

Hope this helps,

Wow! You have given me a wonderful idea and an outlet to actually produce it. I will contact Cal State Northridge's Mfg. Eng. Dept. and, see if they want to take on the task of producing bandana's for Service Dogs.

I hope this doesn't create another "outlet" for the folks who are trying to pass off their "pets" as Service Dogs. Something else that really must be considered.

CCI's logo is something that I would NOT want to see replicated in any way but through CCI. I know they would feel the same about this.

Agreed. Make sure you remind the people you speak with that the CCI logo is copyrighted or trademarked, and the students will have to follow any laws that go along with that. ;-) I'll PM you a little more info.

Considering that it gets over 100 degrees here in the Valley for several days in August and September, and sometimes even in October, it would make sense that an alternative to the vest be allowed.

I've heard that many high schools have mandatory community service programs. I was trying to find the info for the Girl Scout office, but things apparently have changed since I led a Daisy troop. Back then, there was an office on Winnetka at Lassen, but maybe they've moved to Woodland Hills. It looks like the contact person for the whole area is Victoria Garcia.

http://www.girlscoutsla.org/pages/about/contact.html

My sense when it come to dealing with GSA, is that it was pretty bureaucratic, so you may have an easier time dealing with a school that is looking for a community project for the students. And you know that there are many high schools around this area.

Oh, fer shur. I managed to get out of high school before that song came out. I mostly hanged around with the nerds at Taft so maybe Val-speak didn't rub off on me.

"Ignore Me."

This is the proper wording for a "Working Dog" to wear. People should not talk nor bother a "Working Dawg."

If the dog wants to visit with you, he will come 'round.

"Ignore Me."

This is the proper wording for a "Working Dog" to wear. People should not talk nor bother a "Working Dawg."

If the dog wants to visit with you, he will come 'round.

Brenda has a vest that has a decal on it that says, "Please don't touch me I'm working!" But, most folks are patting her by the time they read it. And, they've come over to her when my back is turned. The Service Dog needs a Police Dog!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

99% of the people who spot her and come over to us are true "dog lovers!" They can't resist a dog no matter where and when. I totally understand and I also understand their curiosity about this beautiful dog with a "big/bold/blonde" who doesn't appear to need any assistance from a "Service Dog."

Why I need Brenda is NOT VISIBLE and, therefore because I'm not blind......makes no sense to the average person. That's okay. For 8 years she's been by my side [everywhere] and, hopefully, I'll be lucky enough to keep her by my side working for many more years.

I just wanted to pass along to you how thoroughly enjoyable your posts have been, and to let you know that I have learned so much by reading them. We have encountered several people with service dogs in our travels, and found them to be so extremely considerate and mindful of others, and the dogs more well-mannered and well-disciplined than many of the passengers. ;) :)

We would consider it an honor to encounter you and Brenda one day during our future cruising, and want you to know that both you and she would be most welcomed as our dining companions anytime.

May God continue to bless you both in all you do. Smooth Sailing Always.

Nancy

I must admit I have shed a few tears reading this thread. I was most fortunate to have a gorgeous chocolate lab who very sadly literally dropped dead from a massive stroke 4 weeks after his 11th birthday. He was the kindest most gentle dog you could meet. Even a Muslim co-worker remarked at how nice he was, and Muslims regard dogs as 'unclean', and how wonderfull it must be to have a companion like that.

On my respect list service dogs come above everything, and everyone, else. The things they can do are really mind blowing, my daft mutt wouldn't even chase a ball (although maybe he was the clever one ;) ).

The only time I would ever ask to pet a service dog was if the dog and owner were 'at rest' and not working and only after permission.

Brenda & Roz you have my undying respect and I sure hope to run into you one day.

I just wanted to pass along to you how thoroughly enjoyable your posts have been, and to let you know that I have learned so much by reading them. We have encountered several people with service dogs in our travels, and found them to be so extremely considerate and mindful of others, and the dogs more well-mannered and well-disciplined than many of the passengers. ;) :)

We would consider it an honor to encounter you and Brenda one day during our future cruising, and want you to know that both you and she would be most welcomed as our dining companions anytime.

May God continue to bless you both in all you do. Smooth Sailing Always.

Nancy

Nancy, you have made this the very best Monday of all! Thank you for your kind and lovely words. I hope that one day we will meet. And, when we do, please tell me who you are so that I may give you an extra, big hug.

None of us gets to pick the reason why we need a Service Dog but, I couldn't have been given a more hardworking, delightful, unselfish and loving furpartner.

You're blessings are so welcomed!

Considering that it gets over 100 degrees here in the Valley for several days in August and September' date=' and sometimes even in October, it would make sense that an alternative to the vest be allowed.

I've heard that many high schools have mandatory community service programs. I was trying to find the info for the Girl Scout office, but things apparently have changed since I led a Daisy troop. Back then, there was an office on Winnetka at Lassen, but maybe they've moved to Woodland Hills. It looks like the contact person for the whole area is Victoria Garcia.

http://www.girlscoutsla.org/pages/about/contact.html

My sense when it come to dealing with GSA, is that it was pretty bureaucratic, so you may have an easier time dealing with a school that is looking for a community project for the students. And you know that there are many high schools around this area.[/quote']

I just remove her vest and carry it when it's a very hot day, at work. And I take her potty. Otherwise, she's in a lovely air-conditioned office all day.

When we're out and about I leave it on and get her out of the heat ASAP. Believe me, I think of her before all else. I especially think of the hot, hot ground that she'll walk on and try and park either underground [if available] or as close as possilbe. I then move like a bullet to the shade.

Brenda refuses to wear anything on her paws....I know they make wonderful cover-ups for dogs paws and there's also a wax that can be applied.....she completely "shuts-down" if I change anything about her paws. It's her own idiosyncracy. She also would never wear the "gentle leader" that all other pups had to wear.

We'll be in Las Vegas in September, you know I'll be extra careful about the ground she walks on.

Archived