Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

The idea of dogs aboard ships always makes me want to make a joke about the poop deck. Or sea dogs.

Seriously, I adore my dog, but I would never take her on a cruise. What if she got loose, or got seasick? What if she needed a vet? I think dry land is a safer place for her. I'm sure I would feel differently if I were disabled and needed a working dog to help me with the activities of daily life, but my dog's "services" are limited to waking me up by licking my nose.

Now I want therapy chicken for lunch.

Yes they were both RCI cruises. As far as the conversation, I have always owned goldens so I struck up a friendly chat with the owners of the golden. And he was most definitly not a service dog. So contrary to the people are arguing otherwise, I can say on these occasions non service dogs were allowed.

Right. If you have a service dog, you don't have to disclose why you have it. It's really no one's business why someone might have a service dog, so if a stranger were to approach them and ask, they may just say it's a pet so they don't get the inevitable "what's wrong with you so you need it" question. You are not supposed to pet service dogs either, but people just assume it's fine and go all crazy with any dog they see. This can really set the dog off.

If I see someone with a dog in an "unusual" place, I assume it's a service dog and don't worry about it. Unless the dog attacks me, it's not my business.

In the health care field (like in a hosptal) you are not even allowed to ask what the service animal is for.

I think that for a true service animal, there would not be a fee, but I'm not sure. It is supposed to be like any other medical aid, like a wheelchair, so if they charge for a wheelchair, then they would, but most places are not supposed to charge for them. With true service animals, you really aren't supposed to be able to tell that they're there. They only do their "service" in an emergency, or when a person needs to walk or whatever. It's just another medical aid.

Right. What I was refering to was whether there was a fare charged for a "comfort" animal if they were indeed allowed. Because, I was thinking that if there was NOT a fare charged - well, then I was going to start traveling with my DH as my comfort animal (animal in the "animal, vegetable, or mineral" sense mind you....;):D).

I adore dogs but a cruise ship is no place for a dog - service dogs excepted. However, in my opinion (and fortunately, in most places in the UK), "Service Dogs" are either:

Guide Dogs for Visually Impaired/Blind people

Hearing Dogs for deaf people

Dogs for deafblind people

and occasionally I have seen service dogs for severely autistic children or those with epilepsy and learning difficulties.

IMHO a toy poodle in a dog stroller (*shudders*) is *not* a service dog and should not have been allowed.

I apologise if the shudder at the dog stroller offends anyone but my personal bugbear is dogs with perfectly good working legs, being wheeled in strollers or - worse - carried in bags.

Hmmmm, wonder if I can bring my cat in a stroller :D

th-36414-37168-cat.jpg

Keep preachin', brother.

For the non-service pets...The way I see it, if you cannot leave your pet ANIMAL for ANY length of time, you need to work on your people skills.

Go cats

I love my non-poop scooping week spent on the cruise ship; however, we do have to have someone live at our house to take care of everyone since we foster and the numbers vary but there is always one or more that need meds and special care :D

What is wrong with you? Pets are not allowed on board. That's just the way it is. Why can't you accept that?

Nothing wrong with me Paul, is your boss giving you a hard time at work? I simply checked and Royal confirmed that pets were not allowed onboard. The one instance I know for sure the couples golden was NOT a service dog, so perhaps they fibbed to Royal. Thats all.

Genesis 3.13 Don't be absurd. I called Rcl out of curiousity.

:confused:. What was absurd about Paul's question? He merely asked where your information was coming from. Apparently the answer is "an RCI phone rep". I think it is reasonable for someone to want to know the source of info in order to better decide the value of that info. :)

Yes they were both RCI cruises. As far as the conversation, I have always owned goldens so I struck up a friendly chat with the owners of the golden. And he was most definitly not a service dog. So contrary to the people are arguing otherwise, I can say on these occasions non service dogs were allowed.

I guess the only question now is can they wear a nice pair of jeans on formal night?:D

Right. What I was refering to was whether there was a fare charged for a "comfort" animal if they were indeed allowed. Because, I was thinking that if there was NOT a fare charged - well, then I was going to start traveling with my DH as my comfort animal (animal in the "animal, vegetable, or mineral" sense mind you....;):D).

Yeah...I don't know...It sounds like you're familiar with "comfort animals," so you know that once you start accepting them, it's kind of a slippery slope. I would guess that they are allowed without charge, if they are allowed.

Again, total guess. I'd like to bring my "comfort vodka". Do you think that would fly? :D

:confused:. What was absurd about Paul's question? He merely asked where your information was coming from. Apparently the answer is "an RCI phone rep". I think it is reasonable for someone to want to know the source of info in order to better decide the value of that info. :)

As I stated, " if you check with Royal now"

Do dogs, cats, chickens, gerbils and pet lizards all have the same tip guildlines as other guests?? Do they have to wear proper attire on formal nights? And what is the charge for an "in cabin" doggy sitter if you want to have a date night? Is it required that they wear shirt and shoes to the Windjammer? :rolleyes:

AUbie

Yeah...I don't know...It sounds like you're familiar with "comfort animals," so you know that once you start accepting them, it's kind of a slippery slope. I would guess that they are allowed without charge, if they are allowed.

Again, total guess. I'd like to bring my "comfort vodka". Do you think that would fly? :D

You have my vote. ;)

Do dogs, cats, chickens, gerbils and pet lizards all have the same tip guildlines as other guests?? Do they have wear to proper attire on formal nights? And what is the charge for an "in cabin" doggy sitter if you want to have a date night??? :rolleyes:

AUbie

You would have to check under the starfish thread I think.

Hmmmm.....if you can smuggle in your "comfort vodka" why not your "comfort animal"?

Wasn't there a Love Boat episode where some passenger snuck in their dog and it got loose? I guess the real question is why I remember that?

Hmmmm.....if you can smuggle in your "comfort vodka" why not your "comfort animal"?

Wasn't there a Love Boat episode where some passenger snuck in their dog and it got loose? I guess the real question is why I remember that?

SYFY had that episode where a chupacabra got loose, it was not a pretty picture

Do dogs, cats, chickens, gerbils and pet lizards all have the same tip guildlines as other guests?? Do they have to wear proper attire on formal nights? And what is the charge for an "in cabin" doggy sitter if you want to have a date night? Is it required that they wear shirt and shoes to the Windjammer? :rolleyes:

AUbie

ready for formal night

funny-pictures-cat-wears-formal-attire.jpg

Archived