Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

:confused:. What was absurd about Paul's question? He merely asked where your information was coming from. Apparently the answer is "an RCI phone rep". I think it is reasonable for someone to want to know the source of info in order to better decide the value of that info. :)

Thanks, TW. I'm glad you got it. It's only natural to ask for a reference point when info is being given that is contrary to what we have always known.

hmmmm.....if you can smuggle in your "comfort vodka" why not your "comfort animal"?

Wasn't there a love boat episode where some passenger snuck in their dog and it got loose? I guess the real question is why i remember that?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha :d

Our dog is very well behaved. Goes with my husband to work evry day (he works out side). Rings a bell on the back door to go outside. Rarely ever barks (she's just been trained not to bark). She even LOVES fire works. HOWEVER I would not want her on a cruise with us. Where would she pay ball?? Have you ever seen something about Mary??:eek:LOL.

She goes to the kennel and comes out very happy to see us.

Yes!!!! Oh my lord..... what would the OSCAR OSCAR be for that I wonder...

Nothing wrong with me Paul, is your boss giving you a hard time at work? I simply checked and Royal confirmed that pets were not allowed onboard. The one instance I know for sure the couples golden was NOT a service dog, so perhaps they fibbed to Royal. Thats all.

I think he was backing you up on your response.

It's a slow day here :

Genesis 3:13

13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?"

The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

There's your chicken reference then.....

Thanks, TW. I'm glad you got it. It's only natural to ask for a reference point when info is being given that is contrary to what we have always known.

I't wasn't contrary, it was affirming.

Hmmmm.....if you can smuggle in your "comfort vodka" why not your "comfort animal"?

Wasn't there a Love Boat episode where some passenger snuck in their dog and it got loose? I guess the real question is why I remember that?

Just curious, but how did you end up with that handle?:confused:

Aubie

Again, I was agreeing with you, not being contrary.

I't wasn't contrary, it was affirming.

Ok. Let me extend an olive branch, because I see that I was wrong. When I read this post...

If you check with Royal now, they say it is policy for non service dogs not to be allowed.

...my eyes skipped right over the "not" that I higlighted. I thought you were saying they were allowed. I think I read it that way because you were putting up an argument that on at least 2 occassions, non service dogs were permitted. So again, I offer my apologies.

Ok. Let me extend an olive branch, because I see that I was wrong. When I read this post...

...my eyes skipped right over the "not" that I higlighted. I thought you were saying they were allowed. I think I read it that way because you were putting up an argument that on at least 2 occassions, non service dogs were permitted. So again, I offer my apologies.

Thanks no worries. I was a little suprised, you are one of the most informative and helpful posters on here. No harm, no foul.

Just curious, but how did you end up with that handle?:confused:

Aubie

Being 6'4" and playing first base on the baseball team.

I was wondering the same thing. I remember an old CC poster who was Stretch something. Or maybe it was just plain Stretch. In any case, he was a fun poster.

On a side note here, those vests and patches that you see the "service dogs" wearing can be ordered on the internet by anyone.

I have a relative (or 2, not me) that have these and actually fly their dogs for free. It is true that no one can ask what type of service dog they are because that would expose the person as to what (if any) they need the service dog for.

This is just my guess as to how they are able to bring the dogs on.

(I see this is not allowed BUT)

GROSS, the animal would be allowed out to pee ONCE a day. All I can think it how GROSS ti would be to have the cabin after that and walk barefoot or let my child crawl on the floor. Gross gross gross.

As a person with diagnosed mental illness (severe depression), I am one of those people that have a "therapy animal", and it's been incredibly helpful for me in alleviating my symptoms. It allows me to have a focus on taknig care of another living creature, as it's dependent on me for food, water and other necessities, which in turn helps me to focus on my own ADLs. (activities of daily living) Some may not realize, but those who suffer with major depressive disorder have a hard time doing even the simplest of things. My animal helps me to concentrate on taking care of it and, therefore, myself.

With that said, there is no way that I'd bring my therapy animal on a cruise - I can manage my symptoms without it for a few days, it's not absolutely vital for me to have her with me like it would be for a guide dog for the blind or similar.

I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about the idea of "therapy animals" - it might be a laughing matter to some, but there are others like me who really benefit from the companionship and love that an animal can bring.

What about people with allergies?

In our city, in a 60,000 person open air stadium, they banned shelled peanuts from being brought in because a couple people complained about being allergic to peanuts. :confused:

I'd think that a cruise ship is a little more closed up and a person with a severe dog allergy could be affected?

My dog is a serive dog. He can perform the following services:

1. Fetch my slippers .. or flip-flops for a cruise
  2. He can lay on a pool chair and reserve it for me for the whole day
  3. He can fetch me food in the Windjammer .. and clean up anything I may spill on the floor
  4. He protects my chips at the Blackjack table .. and even steals my neighbor's chips while they are petting her
  5. and the list goes on and on and on ......

On a side note here, those vests and patches that you see the "service dogs" wearing can be ordered on the internet by anyone.

I have a relative (or 2, not me) that have these and actually fly their dogs for free. It is true that no one can ask what type of service dog they are because that would expose the person as to what (if any) they need the service dog for.

This is true- we talked about that at the BBQ too. Service Dogs used to have to wear the vest and have papers to prove their service animal status. Now they are not required to wear the vest and although they still need the papers, you are not allowed to ask the owner for them because it violates a 'privacy' thing. If I have an establishment (such as a restaurant) and you bring a dog in there, I think you should have to provide me with proof that it is allowed to be there. We were in a restuarant just the other day and a group of 4 adults brought in their golden retriever. He was a very nice looking dog and HUGE! No one in the group looked outwardly disabled (althought I know there are plenty of disabilies that cannot be seen). He did not have a harness or a leash or a sign. He sprawled out in the middle of the aisle with his tongue hanging out so none of the waitresses or other patrons could get over him due to his size, and he proceeded to eat all the scraps out from under the table that previous people had dropped. I really had a hard time believing he was any kind of service animal and his handlers were very rude in letting him lay in the aisle instead of under the table or at least closer to it. But they said he was a service dog and that was that.

Personally I think political correctness has gone a little nuts lately.

This is a response to a few posts...

It's hard because there are so many websites that offer these vests and patches and anyone can order them. You don't need a doctor's note or anything. It's unfortunate, but there are people (I'm not saying your relatives) who abuse it so they can bring their pets out on the town with them. It makes it hard for the people who legitimately need service animals because people, especially business owners, skeptical about the legitimacy. Some disabilities are "invisible" but do require the use of a service animal, and no one with a legitimate need should be prevented from using one. I am more likely to assume someone's need is not legitimate because I have been burned on these requests in my job many times. It's quite sad, but people do it. Like they request disabled car tags when they don't need them.

As for the therapy animals, it's the same thing. In legitimate cases, like diagnosed depression, they can work wonders. But there are people who abuse this. If you need such an animal and it helps, that's great. But you need to be considerate of others. And a real service animal would not and should not be in the middle of the floor in the way of others. If they are disruptive you have the legal right to ask them to leave. People may fear a lawsuit, but a true service animal is not supposed to be eating scraps off the floor or in the way.

(I see this is not allowed BUT)

GROSS, the animal would be allowed out to pee ONCE a day. All I can think it how GROSS ti would be to have the cabin after that and walk barefoot or let my child crawl on the floor. Gross gross gross.

I was on a cruise where there was a actual service dog onboard. I was talking to the owner about where it went to the bathroom. She said the dog was trained to go on those pee pee pads. She brought a bunch of those and the dog would just go on the pads in the cabin and then she would throw away the used pads.

Being 6'4" and playing first base on the baseball team.

Random, I know, but my BF was a left handed pitcher in the minor league...he wishes he was 6'4"..maybe he would have made it to the majors. He's only 6' =(

As a person with diagnosed mental illness (severe depression), I am one of those people that have a "therapy animal", and it's been incredibly helpful for me in alleviating my symptoms. It allows me to have a focus on taknig care of another living creature, as it's dependent on me for food, water and other necessities, which in turn helps me to focus on my own ADLs. (activities of daily living) Some may not realize, but those who suffer with major depressive disorder have a hard time doing even the simplest of things. My animal helps me to concentrate on taking care of it and, therefore, myself.

With that said, there is no way that I'd bring my therapy animal on a cruise - I can manage my symptoms without it for a few days, it's not absolutely vital for me to have her with me like it would be for a guide dog for the blind or similar.

I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about the idea of "therapy animals" - it might be a laughing matter to some, but there are others like me who really benefit from the companionship and love that an animal can bring.

I don't think anyone here has any problem with an animal onboard who is a true service dog (for disabilities seen or invisible). Most people are fed up with people who just feel like bringing their pets with them. It's inconsiderate and it seems to require deception to pull it off.

I would think that those people with service dogs for legitimate purposes (such as depression, epilepsy, autism, physical impairments, etc.) would be worried that these fakers will make people less accepting of TRUE service animals in many situations. Dogs and owners will be looked at with more suspicion and less tolerance. That's sad.

What about people with allergies?

In our city, in a 60,000 person open air stadium, they banned shelled peanuts from being brought in because a couple people complained about being allergic to peanuts. :confused:

I'd think that a cruise ship is a little more closed up and a person with a severe dog allergy could be affected?

I was wondering about that myself. I have a moderate allergy to cat dander. It doesn't threaten my life, but if I am in a room where a cat has spent a lot of time (and has not been cleaned of the dander) I get pretty miserable in a short period of time. So I can sympathize with people who have similar problems with dogs/dog dander.

That said, I am not sure that many people are that allergy to dogs to the point were even being in the same room as one would be deadly. And it could be that breeds used for service dogs are ones that don't shared as much dander as others. (Most of the time it is dander that people are allergic to.)

I don't think anyone here has any problem with an animal onboard who is a true service dog (for disabilities seen or invisible). Most people are fed up with people who just feel like bringing their pets with them. It's inconsiderate and it seems to require deception to pull it off.

I would think that those people with service dogs for legitimate purposes (such as depression, epilepsy, autism, physical impairments, etc.) would be worried that these fakers will make people less accepting of TRUE service animals in many situations. Dogs and owners will be looked at with more suspicion and less tolerance. That's sad.

Well said. Personally, I think anyone that misrepresents their 'pet' as their 'service animal' is being extremely rude and offensive to those individuals that do need a service animal. Some people are just selfish, callous, fraudulent wastes of oxygen. But that's another story.

Erika

Archived