Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

That's all well and good, but what if he's adopted from a shelter??:confused:

Aubie

Shelter animals are vetted and just as good (read better) than animals from breeders (spoken like a true animal rescuer) :D Don't breed and buy while shelter animals die (my PSA for the day) :p

Shelter animals are vetted and just as good (read better) than animals from breeders (spoken like a true animal rescuer) :D Don't breed and buy while shelter animals die (my PSA for the day) :p

Not necessarily true (spoken as an animal advocate AND a breeder). If people want a particular breed of dog (or cat), they are not going to a shelter. There are animals in shelters because there are irresponsible people who let their pets roam without bothering to have them spayed or neutered not because there are pedigreed animals (with predictable dispositions and health) being bred. And, no, I am not talking about puppy mills here, but responsible, dedicated breeders.

Still, you'd be surprised at what turns up at shelters. I work for a vet & we have had some very nice dogs come in that were either picked up as strays or given up due to personal circumstances. I know I've seen a maltese & poodle among the breeds adopted out.

Not necessarily true (spoken as an animal advocate AND a breeder). If people want a particular breed of dog (or cat), they are not going to a shelter. There are animals in shelters because there are irresponsible people who let their pets roam without bothering to have them spayed or neutered not because there are pedigreed animals (with predictable dispositions and health) being bred. And, no, I am not talking about puppy mills here, but responsible, dedicated breeders.

When I was volunteering with the SPCA and working in the barn, I heard a dog barking and barking and barking, so I went around the corner to find a beautiful Yellow Lab tied to the tree. The owner walked up to me and even though he had paid thousands of dollars for this pure breed dog, he was dumping him at the shelter because he was too stoopid to have his dog neutered and said "the dog jumps on my kids" and I responded "so have him neutered, don't consign him to death" and his response was (yes, this was classic and in true redneck style) "but that would take away his manhood" - SIGH. Moral of the story, I agree with you, people need to spay/neuter BUT ALSO, the shelters are FULL FULL FULL with pure breed dogs/cats that people dump, that are rescued from puppy mills and backyard breeders AND there is breed specific rescue for any and every breed or dog/cat out there :D People don't have to go to a breeder, they can come to me for that pure breed Siamese cat/kitten or they can contact Houston Lab Rescue for the pure breed lab pup/dog. We get them all the time from shelters where owners turn them in (even after paying big bucks) and from breeders who "just don't want the hassle anymore" - sad but true

Still, you'd be surprised at what turns up at shelters. I work for a vet & we have had some very nice dogs come in that were either picked up as strays or given up due to personal circumstances. I know I've seen a maltese & poodle among the breeds adopted out.

Very true and as I said in my other post, one need only go to the web to find a breed specific rescue for every animal out there. Just because someone buys a dog/cat does not mean they can or will keep said dog/cat and it is rescuers that pull them from death row, foster and vet them and then try to find a furever home :D

I can not stand when people use the manhood excuse for not neutering. Or when they say they want their female dog to experience motherhood. Or when they want their kids to experience the miracle of birth. You get a bit soured on that when you have someone rushing their dog in for an emergency c-section because one pup is stuck in the birth canal. Or the elderly dog who now has to have surgery due to prostate problems that would have been prevented by having him neutered long ago.

I can not stand when people use the manhood excuse for not neutering. Or when they say they want their female dog to experience motherhood. Or when they want their kids to experience the miracle of birth. You get a bit soured on that when you have someone rushing their dog in for an emergency c-section because one pup is stuck in the birth canal. Or the elderly dog who now has to have surgery due to prostate problems that would have been prevented by having him neutered long ago.

Pish, if they want their kids to experience the "miracle of birth" then drag their little backsides into the delivery room when THEY have another kid - TA DA, problem solved :D

Pish, if they want their kids to experience the "miracle of birth" then drag their little backsides into the delivery room when THEY have another kid - TA DA, problem solved :D

Well, as long as we have gone this far off topic.... just let me say that these days they do indeed bring their kids, their mothers, their in-laws, their siblings, their closest 20 or so friends not to mention the stranger they met on their way to the hospital. :D Do NOT encourage them any more! :eek:

well, as long as we have gone this far off topic.... Just let me say that these days they do indeed bring their kids, their mothers, their in-laws, their siblings, their closest 20 or so friends not to mention the stranger they met on their way to the hospital. :d do not encourage them any more! :eek:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha:d

Well, as long as we have gone this far off topic.... just let me say that these days they do indeed bring their kids, their mothers, their in-laws, their siblings, their closest 20 or so friends not to mention the stranger they met on their way to the hospital. :D Do NOT encourage them any more! :eek:

When I started practicing we where still keeping newborns in nurseries behind glass. Now the maternity ward in the hospital reminds me more of a combination of Adventure Ocean and Quest.:eek:

When I started practicing we where still keeping newborns in nurseries behind glass. Now the maternity ward in the hospital reminds me more of a combination of Adventure Ocean and Quest.:eek:

OMG, I was kidding, but I guess people really do invite the whole fam damily to be "part of the birth".

One time I told a women who was dumping her cat because she was having a baby (she said the cat would steal the baby's breath - HA HA HA) that trailer parks and prisons are full of someone's little "miracle" and she was not special. You'd have thought I had killed her whole family by the way she reacted. She was sooooo mad at me - WOW :D

We got a siamese cat when I was a kid because of the steal the breath tale. The owners said she kept getting in the crib with their baby.

As far as human deliveries go, I know someone who has had a couple of home water births & a hospital water birth. The mom let her toddler get in the pool with her during delivery. I like more privacy myself, but to each her own.

Right. If you have a service dog, you don't have to disclose why you have it. It's really no one's business why someone might have a service dog, so if a stranger were to approach them and ask, they may just say it's a pet so they don't get the inevitable "what's wrong with you so you need it" question. You are not supposed to pet service dogs either, but people just assume it's fine and go all crazy with any dog they see. This can really set the dog off.

If I see someone with a dog in an "unusual" place, I assume it's a service dog and don't worry about it. Unless the dog attacks me, it's not my business.

We have a wonderful service animal that works for our school. He comes in with the adaptive PE teacher twice a week. He is "working" when his vest is on but when it is off, he's just a dog. A wonderful, sweet dog that no one would guess is a service animal.

I know about not petting a service animal when they are wearing their vest, but many people don't know this. I agree with you that a person has no obligation to discuss their need for a service animal. Sometimes when I am in the company of strangers, I wish they would stop talking about their medical needs, why do people think others want to know?

I have a feeling that the OP's friend doesn't have a clue, maybe she was dreaming she had her dog with her on a cruise. The fact she can't recall which line she was on is a little bit of a clue to me ;)

Tell me about it.:D I get called to place an epidural - and it takes 15 minutes after I get there to get the cast of thousands (along with all the belongings that they will surely need during the 15 minutes they will have to be out of the room:rolleyes:) out of the room.....

Archived