Do they let (non-service) dogs onboard?

Is Donkey bringing along his wife and kids? Or is fire breathing dragon on the prohibited list?

Great question! I haven't seen much posted about dragons, but I think the fire breathing is only allowed in smoking areas.

Back to the original topic for a moment. I am a flight attendant and the Emotional Support/ Therapy Animal is a huge problem for us when it is just someone's pet and not a true service animal. Lots of poo on the plane because these animals are not trained how to control themselves. Just recently had an emotional support animal who pooed all over the floor under three seats and all the way up the jetbridge when de-planing. Owner made absolutely NO attempt to clean anything up. Nasty! It is not right. People should not bring any animal on board a ship (or a plane) that is not a true service animal. Just my two cents.

E-Beth

I love dogs, but I wouldn't want to bring either of my Scotties on board. I'm on vacation, after all, and so is everyone else.

And I especially don't want to see this thing on board, either:

37546_412568586766_47806071766_5128950_4501945_s.jpg

We had a couple of service animals on our last cruise; not a problem. But if people start faking the need... Shame on them!

BTW, my therapy chicken would be buffalo wings!

When I started practicing we where still keeping newborns in nurseries behind glass. Now the maternity ward in the hospital reminds me more of a combination of Adventure Ocean and Quest.:eek:

That's the way it was when my children were born. Heck I didn't see them until they were bathed and all cleaned up nice and pretty. There's something to be said for the good old days. :D Oh yes, no husbands were allowed in the delivery room either. The only part they got to enjoy was being called every evil name I'd ever heard in the labour room. Also a good thing. :D:D

I am appalled that anyone would even consider confining a dog to a tiny cabin for a week, with only ONE walk a day (seeeing as how they apparently - according to the posted rules - can only be on deck early in the morning). And the idea of keeping a dog in a cage for a week straight (as has been stated on this thread also) is even worse :eek:

I am reminded of the post about the guy who had a grandmother who had a sever fear or allergy to “sniffing” dogs.

On a serious note, I too have been on a sailing with a service dog for non-sighted woman. We noted a small area on the outside promenade deck, about 4’ X 4’ tarp, in a corner, and covered in wood chips. We assumed this area was created for the service dog.

M

They didn't say it was just to sniffing dogs, they said the allergy/fear was to dogs in general. They only brought up the sniffing dogs as a likely possibility for a canine encounter. I happened to think their question was perfectly reasonable.

I was on the Mariner in May. At the Crown & Anchor cocktail party an older couple sat next to DH & I. She carried her miniature poodle. She stated that the poodle was a service dog. She also complained that they did not have the proper vet documents (for shots) and the Mexican government would not allow the dog off the ship. They had taken the dog on other cruises and could not believe that Mexican Tourism office would give incorrect info as to what docs her dog needed. Gosh, was she mad.

Later I mentioned to my DH that if she travelled with her "comfort dog" so much she would have known to call the Mexican Embassy or Consulate to verify what the dog needed to get into Mexico.

When I was volunteering with the SPCA and working in the barn, I heard a dog barking and barking and barking, so I went around the corner to find a beautiful Yellow Lab tied to the tree. The owner walked up to me and even though he had paid thousands of dollars for this pure breed dog, he was dumping him at the shelter because he was too stoopid to have his dog neutered and said "the dog jumps on my kids" and I responded "so have him neutered, don't consign him to death" and his response was (yes, this was classic and in true redneck style) "but that would take away his manhood" - SIGH. Moral of the story, I agree with you, people need to spay/neuter BUT ALSO, the shelters are FULL FULL FULL with pure breed dogs/cats that people dump, that are rescued from puppy mills and backyard breeders AND there is breed specific rescue for any and every breed or dog/cat out there :D People don't have to go to a breeder, they can come to me for that pure breed Siamese cat/kitten or they can contact Houston Lab Rescue for the pure breed lab pup/dog. We get them all the time from shelters where owners turn them in (even after paying big bucks) and from breeders who "just don't want the hassle anymore" - sad but true

Have you been on TV on the TV show Animal Cops Houston by any chance or avoid the camera?:D I love that show- okay back to topic...

We had a big discussion about this at a recent BBQ I attentded. Apparently the definition of "service dog" has been greatly expanded. I know the OP was talking about a pet, so I can't speak to that, but I can tell you that any animal that provides comfort or 'emotional support' can be deemed a "therapy animal". I think we've gone a little overboard (pun not intended) when my friend works at the local hospital and told me about this patient that was seen frequently that insisted she be able to bring her "therapy CHICKEN" to treatment with her. The chicken was on a leash and it messed all over the floor everytime it came in. They finally had to ask her not to bring it. I thought I was going to die laughing- a therapy chicken...still makes me laugh thinking about it now.

All chickens are good chickens, just depends on the recipe you use!!!

Have you been on TV on the TV show Animal Cops Houston by any chance or avoid the camera?:D I love that show- okay back to topic...

I used to be on the news on Fridays for the SPCA promoting pets that were up for adoption and I did a small bit for the Animal Cops Houston for the "where are they now" portion (if you blinked, you missed it :D). We had fostered a Mom and kittens from a cruelty situation and a friend of mine adopted the Mom and 2 of her kittens. :p

Back to the original topic for a moment. I am a flight attendant and the Emotional Support/ Therapy Animal is a huge problem for us when it is just someone's pet and not a true service animal. Lots of poo on the plane because these animals are not trained how to control themselves. Just recently had an emotional support animal who pooed all over the floor under three seats and all the way up the jetbridge when de-planing. Owner made absolutely NO attempt to clean anything up. Nasty! It is not right. People should not bring any animal on board a ship (or a plane) that is not a true service animal. Just my two cents.

E-Beth

ITA about the "faux" therapy animals but the airlines charge me $150 EACH WAY (this is Continental) for my quiet little show cat to ride in it's carrier under the seat in front of me - oh, and becomes my one piece of carry-on luggage as well - while the screaming, kicking little darling behind me gets to ride for free.

I was on a cruise where there was a actual service dog onboard. I was talking to the owner about where it went to the bathroom. She said the dog was trained to go on those pee pee pads. She brought a bunch of those and the dog would just go on the pads in the cabin and then she would throw away the used pads.

We had a service dog-in-training on board one of our RCCL cruises last year. They had a large box of dirt set up for the dog to do business in. It was always cleaned out, didn't smell, and someone was obviously assigned to check it regularly. It was at the end of the Promenade deck on the SMOKING side. DH thought that was a statement in and of itself!!:D

I saw it when I would take my walks, as that was my turnaround spot. Always poopless and no smell.

He was all over the ship with the dog. I think they were getting the dog used to being in large groups of people.

I can not stand when people use the manhood excuse for not neutering. Or when they say they want their female dog to experience motherhood. Or when they want their kids to experience the miracle of birth. You get a bit soured on that when you have someone rushing their dog in for an emergency c-section because one pup is stuck in the birth canal. Or the elderly dog who now has to have surgery due to prostate problems that would have been prevented by having him neutered long ago.

My last schnauzer was four when I had him neutered. He kept marking one chair in my living room. Nothing else, just that one chair. Had him fixed and my husband was horrified. He felt so sorry for the dog hobbling around for a couple of days. I just warned DH if he knew what was good for him, he would pee on my chair either :)

We had a service dog-in-training on board one of our RCCL cruises last year. They had a large box of dirt set up for the dog to do business in. It was always cleaned out, didn't smell, and someone was obviously assigned to check it regularly. It was at the end of the Promenade deck on the SMOKING side. DH thought that was a statement in and of itself!!:D

I saw it when I would take my walks, as that was my turnaround spot. Always poopless and no smell.

He was all over the ship with the dog. I think they were getting the dog used to being in large groups of people.

There was a service dog on our last cruise. We got to meet her when she was off her harness. Her blind owner was parasailing. Yes, the "litter box" was on the Promenade deck.

Jan

If they do, then this is just nonsense. Until just recent years, I have had dogs all my life, and with the exception of local beach trips, I would never have even considered bringing one of those fellas with me on vacation. Those who do so, are probably in need of some psychotherapy.

I do look at it as worrisome, specifically for that reason. I do not refer to my animal as a "service animal" - because I do not need her in the course of my daily life as an aid to things like walking, navigation, etc. I use the term "therapy animal", because that's what she is. She helps in alleviating the symptoms of my mental illness. That does not qualify her as a "service animal" in any way.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and I am quite irritated with people that would use trickery to do such things - it's not fair to the people who truly need such services, and it's inconsiderate to everyone else.

I just wanted to explain the concept of "therapy animal" vs. "service animal", because there are too many people who believe that therapy animals serve no purpose and are an attempt to circumvent well-placed rules such as the one we're discussing. It's sort of a parallel with the "depression is not a real illness" stigma that unfortunately still exists in society. Therapy animals are not JUST "pets" - they're in some cases the very thing that keeps a person connected with the things that they need to do in life. I'm much less likely to not shower or feed myself on a daily basis if I have to do the same for her - know what I'm saying?

I cannot speak for anyone else with mental illness as to whether their condition is severe enough to require the presence of their therapy animal onboard a cruise ship - that's their situation. I, personally, would not do such a thing, nor do I need to.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone. It was not meant in that spirit.

Thank you, Cathalain, for posting and trying to explain. I know that took some courage! I do understand what you are saying.

Our son has schizophrenia and he sometimes gets very depressed with it. He has a little cat, who has been with him through thick and thin - through his worst periods of paranoia and feelings of persecution and through his depression. Her attitude to him never changes and she always loves him, even when he is feeling alienated from people.

While he would never claim she is a therapy animal and he certainly would not attempt to cruise with her, I am certain that caring for her is the only thing that gets him out of bed some days, and occasionally the only thing that has kept him from suicide - he would not want to leave her alone. To us, she is truly a lifesaver!

ITA about the "faux" therapy animals but the airlines charge me $150 EACH WAY (this is Continental) for my quiet little show cat to ride in it's carrier under the seat in front of me - oh, and becomes my one piece of carry-on luggage as well - while the screaming, kicking little darling behind me gets to ride for free.

Hey - you need to switch to AirTran. We only charge $75. for pets (I think) and it does not count as one of your carry-on allowance. :D

So bring a "dog in training" is O.K.? That would be an infraction to the rules. There would be absolutely NO reason for this. This is where some think they are above the rules. If one wants to expose an "animal in training" to large crowds, go to the mall.

So bring a "dog in training" is O.K.? That would be an infraction to the rules. There would be absolutely NO reason for this. This is where some think they are above the rules. If one wants to expose an "animal in training" to large crowds, go to the mall.

If the cruise line says only service animals and the mall says only service animals, how do you justify talking the animal in training to the mall but not on the ship?

Archived