New HAL cruiser needs help deciding cabin ...

fernem

Hi, everyone.

I would appreciate advice. I have cruised almost exclusively on Celebrity and am now planning to take the Oosterdam from San Diego to Mexico for a one week escape mid winter. I know nothing about HAL ships and staterooms. I can get a superior veranda for $899. sz category or a regular veranda vh category for $699. The prices in each of course go up as you position yourself around the ship.

What do you experienced cruisers suggest? We can afford the two hundred dollar differential but I don't know how much better it really is on such a short vacation. (Our last vacation was a two week transatlantic on Celebrity's Century and that was perfect for us.)

Please let me know whether you think the upgrade is worth it and where on the ship is best. If you tell me the vh or the sz is not so good, I will believe you! I have no real clue to the ship.

Thanks very much in advance for the help.

fern

If you can afford it, go with the SZ-the price is very good for that cabin, IMO. You will like the Superior suite experience. Plus, you will get double credit for for days on HAL with an SZ. The Oosterdam is a nice ship, we have been on her twice. You might get differing opinions, but that is what Cruise Critic is about. Whichever cabin you go with, have a great cruise, welcome to the HAl board and to HAL! :)

VH are in the front of the ship with smaller balconies and steel wall railings that you cannot see through while sitting. By the diagram on the website you can see that the sz's are on a higher deck with larger balconies that are see-through plexiglass. The rooms are a little larger also. You do not get all the Deluxe suite amenities as you would with the sa, sb and sc suites. You have to decided what is more important to you. $200 times 7 days x 2 people is $2,800 more. I personally think it is a large amt. and would go with a VA guarantee and hope for an upgrade!

you only get the double credit days if you pay full brochure rates for the room and not a sales rate.

I don't think there are many people who pay full brochure rate.

What I was told by a Mariner Society staffer, when the program first rolled out, is that the Suite bonus days apply for those who actually book the qualifying staterooms ... not for those who book a non-qualifying category and are upgraded (for free) or who choose an upsell (for $$$). YMMV

you only get the double credit days if you pay full brochure rates for the room and not a sales rate.

You know' date=' I found out that's NOT so; we were in a suite and NOT one of the most expensive (can't remember now) and I bought from an online TA at a big sale...........and I got double credits! [/color']

That was on the O in March when I took my DIL and GS on the Mex. Riviera cruise. I was amazed at wll the room in that "lower" suite. I think we were mid-ship on deck 6.....it was fantatic, lots of extra room, two sinks separate whirlpool bath and shower.:)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but IMO the main difference between a "normal" verandah cabin (VH-VA) and a superior verandah cabin (SZ-SS) is size. From HAL web pages you will find out that

the SZ-SS category ncludes all the normal stateroom amenities, plus:

• A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows
  • No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining
  • Personalized cruise stationery
  • Oversized bath towels

• One-touch telephone concierge service
  • Fresh flowers
  • Complimentary DVD library

(Now someone who has cruised HAL more recently than I have - don't the normal verandah cabins also have the refrigirator/mini-bar?)

But as you can see there is no prioritity tendering, embarkation or disembarkation. No suite lounge (the suite lounge is only for deluxe suites SC-SA and PH). No speciality restaurants for breakfast just for superior verandah (and above) guests. That perk also begins only from the next cabin category (SC and above). On HAL the room service is the same for all cabin classes so regardless of your cabin category you will get full breakfast, lunch and dinner (as well as anytime snacks) delivered free of charge to your cabin. You will find VA category cabins on a higher deck than the SZ's so if for example being close to the Lido deck is very important for you the VA's might suit you better.

Having said all of this if I'd have the money avail I'd take the SZ just for the space. It's 389 sq. ft. vs. 254 sq. ft.

Hi, everyone.

I would appreciate advice. I have cruised almost exclusively on Celebrity and am now planning to take the Oosterdam from San Diego to Mexico for a one week escape mid winter. I know nothing about HAL ships and staterooms. I can get a superior veranda for $899. sz category or a regular veranda vh category for $699. The prices in each of course go up as you position yourself around the ship.

What do you experienced cruisers suggest? We can afford the two hundred dollar differential but I don't know how much better it really is on such a short vacation. (Our last vacation was a two week transatlantic on Celebrity's Century and that was perfect for us.)

Please let me know whether you think the upgrade is worth it and where on the ship is best. If you tell me the vh or the sz is not so good, I will believe you! I have no real clue to the ship.

Thanks very much in advance for the help.

fern

I have photos of some of the various staterooms and their categories for the Oosterdam.

Here is a small view of a typical VA-VH Stateroom

sm_IMG_3874.jpg

Note in the above phot there is very little room between the bed and the wall at the foot of the bed.

Here is a photo of an SZ for comparison (this is on the Westerdam, a sister ship to Oosterdam, so should be almost the same):

sm-6052_fatcat04-5.jpg

I think you can see the vast difference in size.:)

To see more photos (and full sized for better viewing go here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Joanie

Go with the SZ. Yes, it is worth it. And most likely you will be upgraded because there are so few SZ cabins to start out with. But it is a great cabin even if you don't according to reports here. You have several days at sea and the day where you are cruising the lagoon looking for whales, so you will have plenty of time to enjoy your larger balcony. And the size of the room, storage and larger bathroom is just plain nice.

Lots more light and windows too. Plus a table on the deck where you can dine outside. The larger deck also means you are further away from your neighbors walls, for more quiet and privacy.

We usually get the regular verandah rooms and also took advantage of the $200 difference on the sister ship Zuiderdam to Alaska and were very glad we did this. Because these Vista ships are larger, you may find you like having your own spacious cabin for privacy more than on the other smaller ships.

Well, thanks so much, HAL cruisers. You have all answered so helpfully and so quickly. I appreciate it.

I have spoken with HAL directly ... although I will switch to an online TA before final payment to get OBC ... and I was upgraded at no cost, because I have a Mariner member number (and I don't remember how I acquired it, since I have never sailed on HAL) to an SY cabin ... 6083. That sounds good to me. (Any reason it isn't, please?)

My next question is how big is the veranda? Is it big enough for loungers or only small chairs? Does HAL have a nice breakfast room service menu (Celebrity Concierge and suite menu is fantastic, btw) and is the table outside big enough to use for dining?

Thanks again for any help.

Wishing you all a nice day.

fern

Here is the breakfast menu for room service as well as the "normal" room service menu. As I already mentioned all cabin classes get the same room service menu so it doesn't matter if you are in an inside cabin or a penthouse - this is what you get. :)

Courtesy of CC member Krazy Kruizers (from whom I copied these menus):

Cabin Breakfast Menu

Preferred Time Frame

6 AM - 6:30 AM 7 AM - 7:30 AM 8 AM - 8:30 AM 9 AM - 9:30 AM

6:30 AM - 7 AM 7:30 AM - 8 AM 8:30 AM - 9 AM 9:30 AM - 10 AM

Juices

Grapefruit; Orange:; Cranberry; V-8; Prune, Tomato

Fresh Fruit

Half Grapefruit; Sliced Bananas; Diced Oranges; Mixed Fruit; Seasonal Melons; Stewed Prunes

Low Fat Yogurt

Plain; Fruit

Breads

English Muffin; White Toast; Wheat Toast; Rye Toast; Danish; Croissant; Blueberry Muffin; Bran Muffin; Bagel

Preserves

Assorted Jams; Marmalade; Honey; Butter; Margarine; Cream Cheese

Cereals

Corn Flakes; Special K; Mueslix; Raisin Bran; Granola; Fruit Loops; Frosted Flakes; Rice Krispies; Shredded Wheat

With: Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk

Eggs & Meats

Two Eggs: Scrambled or sunnyside up or over easy

Omelet: With Cheese or With Ham and Cheese

Eggbeaters: Scrambled or Omelet with Cheese or Omelet with Ham and Cheese

Meat: Ham or Sausage or Bacon

Beverages

Regular Coffee; Decaf Coffee; Tea; Hot Chocolate; Milk; 2% Milk; Skim Milk; Half & Half

You can also ask for "Omelet with ham, cheese, bell peppers, mushrooms" etc.

If you ask fpr your order to be delivered when the main dining room is open (approx 7:30/8:00 ->) you can write in anything you want like chocolate croissants, eggs Benedict, waffles etc.

HAL Room Service Menu

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers (All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips):

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

Margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

If you order during dinner time you can also order from the main dining room menu.

Well, thanks so much, HAL cruisers. You have all answered so helpfully and so quickly. I appreciate it.

I have spoken with HAL directly ... although I will switch to an online TA before final payment to get OBC ... and I was upgraded at no cost, because I have a Mariner member number (and I don't remember how I acquired it, since I have never sailed on HAL) to an SY cabin ... 6083. That sounds good to me. (Any reason it isn't, please?)

My next question is how big is the veranda? Is it big enough for loungers or only small chairs? Does HAL have a nice breakfast room service menu (Celebrity Concierge and suite menu is fantastic, btw) and is the table outside big enough to use for dining?

Thanks again for any help.

Wishing you all a nice day.

fern

Photos and descriptions of SY(s) (on the Westerdam, but again should be almost the same for Oosterdam) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Westerdam/index.html

You have sailed most likely on a Carnival owned ship??? That would be my guess as to your Mariner status.

Joanie

Wow! I didn't really mean to ask for the whole enchilada, so to speak ... just wondered if the table was big enough for dining! But thank you. It looks great.

Next naive questions, now that I have a cabin.

• Is there an indoor pool that's free or is the spa pool part of the paid treatment options? Can one buy a pass for the cruise that includes steam room, sauna, etc. if they exist?

• I can bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard for in room drinking?

Thanks again. (My last posting crossed the one before me so I got my question answered before I even asked it!) :-)

fern :)

Wow! I didn't really mean to ask for the whole enchilada, so to speak ... just wondered if the table was big enough for dining! But thank you. It looks great.

• Is there an indoor pool that's free There is an indoor pool with a movable roof ... our experience in the Carib is that the roof generally is opened during the day, weather permitting.or is the spa pool part of the paid treatment options? Can one buy a pass for the cruise that includes steam room, sauna, etc. if they exist?There are spa passes ... but I've never bought one, so I can't speak to the details.

• I can bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard for in room drinking?You may bring onboard as much wine as you wish ... some here report bringing on case(s). If taken to a bar or dining venue, there will be a corkage fee of $18/bottle ... some have reported not being assessed any corkage.

Thanks again. (My last posting crossed the one before me so I got my question answered before I even asked it!) :-)

My comments in red.

• Is there an indoor pool that's free or is the spa pool part of the paid treatment options? Can one buy a pass for the cruise that includes steam room, sauna, etc. if they exist?

• I can bring a couple of bottles of wine onboard for in room drinking?

Here is a link to the 2nd page for the Oosterdam, the various Public rooms: The Lido Midship (photos shown are with the Covering opened up) and Lido Seaview (Aft) Pools are both free. Cannot tell you the price for all the Spa stuff, but I paid $150.00 for myself to use the Spa's Hydro Therapy Pool for a 1 week pass (WELL WORTH every red penny!!) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index-2.html

Yes you can bring all the wine you want and water and sodas.

Joanie

• Personalized cruise stationery

On our cruise this was SO funny. My DIL and I are adults; the personalized stationery had my grandson's name on it! If I was of the opinion of some of my friends, I'd call that "sexist."

My DIL and I just laughed and my GS loved that he was "in charge!"

How would those making the stationery KNOW who'd "in charge?" Poor people; I bet they have complaints from some of the P.P.s:eek:

Thanks again for the wealth of information.

For those of you who have sailed on Celebrity as well, are you equally happy overall with the two experiences, albeit no doubt distinct? Are there any suggestions you might make to help me make the most of this getaway on a new ship?

Thanks for your generosity.

fern

We did one Celebrity cruise and found it to be more similar to than different from HAL cruises.

We thought the food was a tad better on X, as well as the entertainment. We also liked having the phone call telling us that our breakfast was on the way for room service. We also liked having an ATM onboard and the nice champagne/orange juice welcome at embarkation. We were on the Millennium and thought it had a more spacious, open feel to it as compared to HAL ships.

On HAL, though the breakfast room service menu is better, the daily bulletin and NY Times summary are delivered to your cabin, and if you have two people in your cabin, you get two end-of-cruise surveys instead of one. Also, I give the edge in overall service to HAL. Also, HAL takes the muster drill much more serious than what we encountered on the Millie, which IMO is a plus.

As we encountered no "deal-breaker", we would sail on X again if the itinerary was better than a comparable HAL cruise. I hope you will enjoy your first HAL experience. :)

As others have said you are misinterpreting this paragraph:

• Suite Bonus When you book a spacious suite on your next cruise' date=' you’ll not only enjoy special amenities, but you also qualify for double Cruise Day credits. For instance, guests who pay[/font'] full fare for suite accommodations on a 10-day cruise earn 20 Cruise Day credits.

When the program first came out in Sept of last year there was quite a bit of misunderstanding & conjecture which both DBA & Sarah HAL, Public Relations Mgr. helped to clear up..The thread is very long 20+ pages & 569 posts, but it is worth while reading...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1059425

Read Post No. 6 by DBA in this thread: He says that this basically refers to Interline Rates & Travel Agent Discounts which do not qualify..As others have said here upgrades & upsells don't qualify..

Also read Posts No 424, 425 429 by Sarah HAL's Public Relations Mgr..

Sarah's Cruise Critic sign in is: HAL_PR

We all took this to mean that if you book with a TA who has a sale, lower fare, &/or lower group rate, you will get the double cruise days credit for your suite...Also if you book directly with HAL when they have a sale, it will be counted as double days for suites..These fares are considered full fares..

Cheers....:)Betty

We did one Celebrity cruise and found it to be more similar to than different from HAL cruises.

<snip> We also liked having an ATM onboard and the nice champagne/orange juice welcome at embarkation. We were on the Millennium and thought it had a more spacious, open feel to it as compared to HAL ships.

<snip>

As we encountered no "deal-breaker", we would sail on X again if the itinerary was better than a comparable HAL cruise. I hope you will enjoy your first HAL experience. :)

Bill was there a charge levied by the ATM machine, to withdraw from your bank account ?

Thanks....Betty

Archived