Getting to Chakanaab w/15mo and car seat?

BethV114

Hi all. We are booked on Allure of the Seas in December and we're planning on going to Chackanaab while in Cozumel to do the dolphin interaction. What's the best way to get there from the pier with DD and her car seat in tow? I had suggested to DH that we rent a car for the day so we can just strap the carseat in and leave it in the car all day. But he's nervous about driving in Mexico, so he wants me to look into other options. How difficult will it be to deal with DD's carseat in a taxi cab? Alternatively, are there any private tour companies that we could hire to drop us off at Chakanaab and return us to the pier? Our thinking on that one is that perhaps they would allow us to leave the carseat with them while we're inside the park. I really don't want to have to lug it into the park with us and find a place to check it for the day if we can avoid it. But, on the other hand, there is absolutely no way we're getting into any kind of a motor vehicle without DD properly secured!

That is a tough one to answer. The taxis that are lined up and ready to take passengers to the beaches/parks are unpredictable. Some have seats belts, some are tucked way into the seat so you can't get them out, some seat belts are only lap belts, some seat belts are just hard to work. I am crazy about car seats and seat belts myself and I have found the seat belt situation unpredictable and different from US seatbelts. As for getting a taxi with a belt that would work, I think it is possible. You would have to ask as you got to the line of taxis. As for them keeping the car seat and waiting for you, I am not sure. We have been to Chankanaab several times and sometimes the same taxi drivers waits and sometimes you have to get a new driver. You may have to carry the seat in with you. Maybe they can store it at the front desk as you enter Chankanaab. I am sure they would figure that out for you. They do try to please. Also, you may want to search for a "travel" carseat. I have seen them before, a smaller version of a carseat sometimes with a traveling case.

Another option would be to try and take the ship sponsored excursion to Chankanaab if they offer one. Being on a bus may make you more comfortable but they wouldn't have seat belts.

One other thing I forgot to mention. If you do book a private tour, make sure that they understand how important it is for you to have a working seatbelt and the kind of seatbelt you need (I know that some carseats required a lap/shoulder belt and your locking clip). I had booked a private tour for our family and extended family in Guatemala last year. I stress how important it was for everyone to have a seat belt and they assured me it was no problem (half of our group was kids). Well, when we were loading one of the two vans we needed, one van did not have seat belts! I explained that we would not get in without them and they understand and we waited a few minutes for another van. There is a different mind set about seatbelts so if this is important to you, you need to be very clear about it.

Archived