Mt. Washington

Mt. Washington NH? Where does the excursion leave from, Portland? Thats a pretty long haul. Its a fun time though, we climb or sometimes drive Mt. Washington at least once a year. Seem pricey, but thats a long drive from any port so that's probably why.

I looked up the excursion, time length is 9 hours for Mt Washington and the Cog Railway. I do think it would be a nice trip even though half of the time would be getting there and back but there will be nice things to see along the way. I did the auto road 32 years ago and the view from the top is beautiful if the weather is good. It could be one of those once in a life time things to do, so if the cost and long trip doesn't bother you, I'd say, GO! (and take LOTS of pictures for us to see)

mmmm...IMHO, it depends on how easy it would be for you to travel to the east coast. Are you in the US? I spend summers on Lake Winnipesaukee, thus, on most clear days, I am looking right at Mt. Washington. Over the years, we have gone up the Mt. either on the rail or hiking. The view is lovely. But from the cruise, you would spend most of your excursion traveling, which may not be worth the it to you. Another option you may wish to explore at some point is planning a week long vacation on the lakes region...so much do in that region!

Mt Washington has a well-deserved reputation for having some of the worst weather on earth. The highest wind gust ever recorded in history anywhere was there. Seems like it kills a few hikers every summer who get caught in blizzards.

If I were thinking about going, I think I would start looking at the link I posted daily for awhile. First, you get to see the views occassionally, but second, you might get a sense that if you are looking for pretty views and nice weather, you pretty much roll the dice when you plan a visit there.

That said, October should be near the peak of fall foliage season, and at least the busride may be gorgeous even if the cog railway takes you straight into a cloud and never emerges, as has been known to happen. I have not looked to see what typical weather conditions are like there in October. So-- good luck and have fun.

It's a pricey excursion.............but, having said that...........if you can swing it, I would say to go for it. Yes, it will be a long day, but the bus ride will be beautiful, even if the foliage isn't yet at peak. The auto road to the top is breathtaking (some would say nail-biting in some spots). The mountaintop will be COLD and windy. Probably have snow up there. Fun. The Cog Railway ride is amazing. I guarantee this will be an excursion you will always remember.

I'm a Mainer, by the way, and we go to Mt. Washington often. My hubby has climbed it twice.

Today the temp is in the upper forties, the wind in the low fifties and the wind chill in the upper thirties.

Down in the Metro areas of Boston, Phila and between, we are jealous.

Bet they sell hoodies up there....a LOT of them.

Archived