Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

We are thinking about purchasing the premium package, but don't want to frowned upon.

Anyone else encounter any problems?

Thanks,

Mari:)

I was surprised to read this on Marshall Jackson on Travel

An ex-airline guy blogs about airlines and travel.

He cruised on Equinox on 7/05/10:

His Constructive Criticism

"Celebrity offers a wonderful premium drink package. I don’t remember the price, but believe it to be somewhere in the vicinity of $50 dollars per day per person (plus 15 percent gratuity), you have unlimited access to soda, specialty coffees, bottled water, wines by the glass, beers, and cocktails up to $12 dollars in value. Suffice it to say we jumped on that. I’m not sure what kind of issue that many members of the bar staff have with these packages, but it’s obvious that they do. The pool bar even had a little handwritten sign for drink package receipts that had a “frowny face” written beside it in full view of guests. I don’t think I’m imagining things when I say that well north of 50 percent of the bar staff I interacted with during the cruise seemed to be annoyed that I’d ordered a drink when they learned I had a package. When ordering a Mimosa during the brunch service previously mentioned, you would’ve thought I’d offended the wait staff when they saw that I had a drink package. Not sure what the problem is, but if Celebrity is going to offer the package, they need to fix whatever issue the staff has with it."

That is really unfortunate; a visit with the hotel director while onboard would seem to be the best way to address this. On the Century last month, there were no issues whatever with the premium package. The bar staff was great as were the sommeliers in both Murano and the MDR. Even though the package has a 15% tip built in, we still tipped a dollar or two when we were having more than 1 drink, so maybe that helped, but honestly, the staff was so nice and friendly that I don't think it made any difference.

jeez ... I havent even paid yet and now the bartenders hate the pkg ... :(

I hope this is not the case ....my group is purchasing this more fore ease and convienence than any thing else ... i dont even know if I would hit the 50 bucks a day

We are thinking about purchasing the premium package, but don't want to frowned upon. Anyone else encounter any problems?

Don't worry, "mari10" and "riandei" and "cruisecriticmember."

Over the last 2.5 months, I have read MANY, MANY messages from CrCr members who have purchased various beverage packages -- on the various "X" ships. The number of those reporting positive responses from crew members have outnumbered those reporting alleged "pouting" by at least TEN TO ONE. In fact, that positive crew reaction was one of the factors that led me to decide to purchase a package.

The experience recounted by Marshall Jackson was either abnormal or IMAGINARY on his part. Perhaps he expected a negative reaction and made it into a reality in his mind. I feel sure that he completely misinterpreted the meaning of the "frowny face" that he saw. I just don't believe that one bar's staff would be openly critical of guests.

Moreover, whenever there is something bad reported about crews and their attitude toward packages (here at CrCr or in a travel publication like Jackson's), you can be sure that "X" sends out rapid alerts to remind crews to be ultra-friendly to package-users ... because "X" is making extra money from most of them ... and because THEY (the crew members) are making extra gratuities from them.

I think that "X" doesn't even mind when they LOSE a bit of money on a package-user ... because that passenger has probably enjoyed his/her cruise more than usual and is more likely to be loyal to "X" in the future (since no other cruise line has such packages)! And it is on the passenger's future cruise fares that "X" stands to gain a big profit.

Please rest at ease.

Edited by jg51

I can't seem to be able to see the available drink packages for purchase on my online reservation. Is everyone having this problem or just me? It says that all of them are unavailable at this time.

Your cruise may still be too far out.

Don't worry, "mari10" and "riandei" and "cruisecriticmember."

Over the last 2.5 months, I have read MANY, MANY messages from CrCr members who have purchased various beverage packages -- on the various "X" ships. The number of those reporting positive responses from crew members have outnumbered those reporting alleged "pouting" by at least TEN TO ONE. In fact, that positive crew reaction was one of the factors that led me to decide to purchase a package.

The experience recounted by Marshall Jackson was either abnormal or IMAGINARY on his part. Perhaps he expected a negative reaction and made it into a reality in his mind. I feel sure that he completely misinterpreted the meaning of the "frowny face" that he saw. I just don't believe that one bar's staff would be openly critical of guests.

Moreover, whenever there is something bad reported about crews and their attitude toward packages (here at CrCr or in a travel publication like Jackson's), you can be sure that "X" sends out rapid alerts to remind crews to be ultra-friendly to package-users ... because "X" is making extra money from most of them ... and because THEY (the crew members) are making extra gratuities from them.

I think that "X" doesn't even mind when they LOSE a bit of money on a package-user ... because that passenger has probably enjoyed his/her cruise more than usual and is more likely to be loyal to "X" in the future (since no other cruise line has such packages)! And it is on the passenger's future cruise fares that "X" stands to gain a big profit.

Please rest at ease.

Thanks for your nice words. I was actually speaking tongue in cheek as I don't care if the bar tenders don't like "package" users. We are the customers and the reason they have a job so their attitude should always be professional and I anticipate it will be. I know that on RCCL there is a soft drink "package" and when I used it I always got friendly and cooperative service. Looking forward to a wonderful cruise on "X".

Please rest at ease.

Lose money.... ever ??? on alcohol ... never...the markup is too high

Friends,

Thanks to a CrCr member whose name I have unfortunately forgotten, I became aware (a few days ago, on another thread) of the online publication -- at www.beyondships.com -- of a couple of recent Celebrity wine lists (Blu and Tuscan Grille), a new Celebrity-fleet bar menu, and an AquaSpa Cafe menu, none of which I had seen before. As I went through them, I quickly realized that some of the beverages listed were mentioned in the opening post of this thread, but definitely not all of them!

[A "hat tip" also to "mari10" for mentioning the "beyondships" site here on this thread and "nudging" me to undertake some more hard work!]

As a result of studying the new lists and new menu a second time, I have arrived at yet another compilation of "addenda" to enhance the list in the opening post. I hope that you will find the following to be interesting.

-------------

PART I:

On this thread, post #133, above, has an updated list of wines available by the glass -- but now we need ANOTHER update, as a result of some recent "finds." Here are the "new" wines (available by the glass), with prices in dollars, that I discovered in the "Blu" and "Tuscan Grille" menus ...

_ [CHAMPAGNE/SPARKLING WINES:]

Celebrity, Blanc de Blanc [Fr] 6.5s

Vigneti Fantinel, Prosecco Rose' [it] 9.0s

_ [WHITE WINES:]

Campogrande, Orvieto Classico [it] 6.0s

Tenuta Guado al Tasso, Vermentino [it] 7.5s

Wente, Viognier [uS] 9.0s

_ [RED WINES:]

Allegrini, Valpolicella [it] 6.0s

La Braccesca, Montepulciano [it] 9.0s

_ [DIGESTIF/DESSERT WINE:]

Regali Rose, Brachetto d’Acqui [it] 8.5s

PART II:

Here are the "new" non-alcoholic beverages that I just found -- not listed in the opening post, but supposedly available on "X" ships:

Cranberry Juice 0.0

Grape Juice 0.0

Strawberry Banana Soda 4.0

Peach Sangria 4.0

Sparkling Mint Lemonade 4.0

Carrot & Cranberry Cocktail 4.0

Watermelon Tropic 4.0

Smoothies [all 4.5 at the AquaSpa Cafe]:

"Longevity"

"Ageless"

"24-Carrot Gold"

"Energize"

PART III:

Here are a few "new" entries in the Beer/Ale/Stout/Cider category -- not listed in the opening post, but supposed available on "X" ships:

Magner's Irish Cider 8.0

Smirnoff Ice [malt liquor] 5.0

Strongbow Cider [GB] 5.0

PART IV:

Here is a remarkable list of "new" cocktails that I just found -- not listed in the opening post, but supposedly available on "X" ships:

Alluring Aperitivo 8.0

Rosemary Pear Lemonade 8.0

Juniperitivo 7.0

Grapefruit Blush 6.5

Aperol Spritz 7.0

Bali Hai 6.5

Cafe Royale 6.5

Agave Toddy 8.5

Dante's Wine 6.5

Sailor's Coffee 7.0

Pyrat Alexander 8.0

Margarita Sunrise 7.0

Island Sunset 7.5

Spiced Daiquiri 6.5

Cool Mint Lemonade 7.0

Snowflake Cosmo 8.0

North Pole 7.0

Pacific Sunset 6.5

Blue Sea 8.0

Ancient Mariner 8.0

Ice Pick 6.5

Palmilla Sangria 8.5

Pirate's Punch 7.0

Fruta Especial 7.5

Cool Caribbean 7.0

Pineapple Ginger Mojito 8.5

Pineapple Mint Caipirinha 6.5

Brazilian Breeze 6.5

Superfruit Margarita 8.5

Watermelon Fresca 7.0

Banana Daiquiri 6.5

Pair of Roses 7.5

Kiwi Luxury 6.5

Blueberi Breeze 7.0

Cucumber Ginger Splendor 8.5

Spa Cooler 8.0

The Antioxidant 8.5

Fresh Cucumber Gimlet 6.5

Sparkling Raspberry Rickey 6.5

California Negroni 7.0

Smoke and Ginger 8.5

Blackberry Cobbler 8.0

Pomegranate Mojito 7.0

Bacardi Breezer Orange 7.0

Edited by jg51

Oops! Let's correct Part III by two additions and one subtraction! Sorry.

PART III:

Here are a few "new" entries in the Beer/Ale/Stout/Cider category -- not listed in the opening post, but supposed available on "X" ships:

Magner's Irish Cider 8.0

Strongbow Cider [GB] 5.0

Fuller's London Pride [GB] 7.0

Old Speckled Hen Ale [GB] 7.0

Edited by jg51

We cannot purchase the drink package either, and were told wine packages wouldn't be available, but the beverage packages are not yet available and the cruise is 5 or so weeks away. Is this usual for Celebrity ships? Seems to me that they should be available on the web site by now?

PART III:

Magner's Irish Cider 8.0

for my friends across the pond - Magner's is Bulmer's, they just had to rename it outside Ireland. :)

for my friends across the pond - Magner's is Bulmer's, they just had to rename it outside Ireland. :)

Bulmers on ice, nothing like it ona hot summers day!

If you have the option, Bulmers in a bottle is way nice than Bulmers draught (on tap!)

Bulmers on ice, nothing like it ona hot summers day!

If you have the option, Bulmers in a bottle is way nice than Bulmers draught (on tap!)

It's my favorite!! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any of the Pear over here, which is wonderful when it's hot out. Especially when you add a dash of vodka. :) My local carries it in bottles, which is heaven.

Edited by Jobeth66

We were on Eclipse ,around the Spanish Med. We had a premium alcohol, a classic (alcohol) and a soda package . I dont know whether or not Celebrity beat us or we beat them it just made everything so easy ,thats with the adult package,soda I would say dont bother unless you are a soda addict as soft drinks ,apple juice, lemonade (more like lemon squash if you are from the uk) and water are available from self serve machines in Oceanview nearly all the time.

Each day we would have freshly squeezed orange juice, probably 2 coffees from Cafe al Bacio (my favourite place on board) frozen strawberry drink and probably 4 glasses of wine ( 1 while changing 2 with dinner and 1 more watching the show) then there were the bottles of mineral water ,maybe a beer at lunchtime a cognac on the balcony and a cocktail here and there.

That makes me sound a bit of a lush , but we were on holiday and the best part was not having to worry abot the bill . We had no problem getting served anywhere at any time :)

We were on Eclipse ,around the Spanish Med. We had a premium alcohol, a classic (alcohol) and a soda package . I dont know whether or not Celebrity beat us or we beat them it just made everything so easy ,thats with the adult package,soda I would say dont bother unless you are a soda addict as soft drinks ,apple juice, lemonade (more like lemon squash if you are from the uk) and water are available from self serve machines in Oceanview nearly all the time.

Each day we would have freshly squeezed orange juice, probably 2 coffees from Cafe al Bacio (my favourite place on board) frozen strawberry drink and probably 4 glasses of wine ( 1 while changing 2 with dinner and 1 more watching the show) then there were the bottles of mineral water ,maybe a beer at lunchtime a cognac on the balcony and a cocktail here and there.

That makes me sound a bit of a lush , but we were on holiday and the best part was not having to worry abot the bill . We had no problem getting served anywhere at any time :)

Thanks for letting us know about how this program worked for you.

Emms thnx for posting

I too do not think we will 'profit' from having the pkg but it just sounds so much easier and I believe we will come close to breaking even

Thanks

Edited by riandei
Spelling

Am getting into planning mode for my TA cruise out of Barcelona Nov 6 on Constellation, and since this is a lazy Sunday morning, I opened up this thread which caught my eye before I checked into the Roll Call for my cruise. Yup, ended up reading it all.

Wow! Such a wealth of detail -- this is why I love these forums, because I get great information and feedback from experienced cruisers. So much hard work and effort by some of you in the research. I've done a lot of "cut n'paste" into a word doc on "good to know info" this morning.

As a result I am seriously considering the drinks package this time. With so many days at sea, it doesn't take long for that bill to escalate once you get into holiday mode.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice!

Sandie

Two different Celebrity call center agents advised us that the drinks package could only be purchased for the full duration of our sailing (it is a 7 night cruise). It can be purchased onboard - up to 2 days before the last night, but you will be charged for the full seven days! :confused:

Very confusing... Has anyone actually purchased it onboard for less than the full duration of the cruise?

Edited by cuervo
typo

Two different Celebrity call center agents advised us that the drinks package could only be purchased for the full duration of our sailing (it is a 7 night cruise). It can be purchased onboard - up to 2 days before the last night, but you will be charged for the full seven days! :confused: Very confusing... Has anyone actually purchased it onboard for less than the full duration of the cruise?

Hello, "cuervo."

I feel sure that I have read at least a couple of posts from cruisers who were able to buy partial packages (not paying for all days, but only for the final days of a cruise). If that is true, then the "X" agents on the phone have been misinformed and are misinforming the public.

I also recall at least a couple of posts in which cruisers paid for a full package "retroactively," with "X" then cancelling the charges for individual drinks that had been purchased on previous days. [Maybe that's what the "X" agents had in mind on the phone.] Similarly, CrCr members have stated that "X" canceled charges for drinks purchased early on Embarkation Day when a package was purchased late on Embarkation Day!

I would urge you to start a new thread on which you should ask your important question, in order to get the most "traffic" (readers and reliable answers). This thread in which we are conversing has been around for quite a few days, and many who have already read it are probably not inclined to return to it and see your question, above.

Good luck.

Edited by jg51

Found this on the bev pkg page.

*All prices in USD are subject to change without notice. A 15% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout. Packages are sold on a per cruise basis, are not sold on a per day or any other basis, and no refunds will be issued for unused amounts. Packages may not be shared, and do not include beverages sold in gift shops, mini-bar or room service. Ordered packages may be modified up to four days prior to sailing by canceling and reordering the package. Cancellations or refunds will not be issued onboard the vessel after embarkation day. Availability of beverage packages varies by ship. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions apply.