spanish reef resort grand cayman!!is it paradise?

tronan

Yes, we went there a couple of years ago and had a nice day. It is a very old resort....not much of a beach...there was a small pool with hammocks around....we had a nice lunch....hamburgers, hot dogs, salad bar, grilled chicken, etc.....nothing great, but it was a quiet relaxing day....we had unlimited bar drinks....my husband drank beer all day and I drank margaritas. If you want excitement....this is not the place for you.....but a quiet day...reading, swimming....drinking....eating....it wasn't bad.

thanks for your reply.

the stingray tours just dont appeal to me , and there dosent seem to be much on offer in grand cayman , is there anything else you can suggest , im looking for something beautiful and luxurious!!i have to admit i like the finer things in life!!!a all inclusive package would be great.

Funny you should ask. I was just there last weekend while aboard Mariner of the Seas. We didn't know it at the time but we were the first "official" RCI excursion back since Hurricane Ivan struck last fall. The hotel itself is still being rebuilt, but the resort was open for our exclusive use. In fact they just received a shipment of shingles and were getting ready for more repairs. The lady at the counter said they hoped to open for full business in April (05).

Only five people came over from the ship (ourselves, one other couple, and a ship's employee to inspect the premises). The pool was sparkling blue water, the beach chairs were very comfortable and there were even hammocks for those so inclined.

And yes there was an open bar all day. My DW and I don't drink but had unlimited fountain drinks.

The snorkeling gear was included in the price and when I swam out near the reef inlet I ran into 1000 fish of all various colors, sizes, and shapes. It was like swimming in a pet store aquarium. I had to buy an underwater camera just to try and capture some of the underwater beauty.

The excursion was $84 through the ship and was one of the highlights of the week. For a few brief moments I felt like Tiger Woods renting his own private island or something...

Before we left they let us tour one of the standard rooms for weekly rental and for the prices they showed it would be a nice resort to spend the week at. We are considering it in the future.

Hope this helps a little.

hi tbray

thanks for the info , it sounds wonderful there.

can you tell me was it $84 per person or per couple , and we are alcohol drinkers!! what kinda alcohol did they have on offer and do you think its worth the price??

sounds like you have a great cruise , i was following your live update and it was very enjoyable , we are cruising the mariner on 8th may this will be our first cruise ever!!

im very excited and just cant sleep thinking about it , this board and evryone on it have been very helpful with their hints and tips , ive learned alot of information here.

and im sure theres lots of stuff still to find out.

theresa

hi tbray

thanks for the info , it sounds wonderful there.

can you tell me was it $84 per person or per couple , and we are alcohol drinkers!! what kinda alcohol did they have on offer and do you think its worth the price??

$84 per person. Seemed a little high at the time but I purposely wanted something more private than the normal packed-liked-sardines excursion and it fit the bill perfectly. And since all my other stops were booked I made this our one "splurge" excursion. And very glad I did!

I believe the alcohol served was bar brands. I remember something in the brochure saying that name brands were an up-charge. Hope this helps out.

Good luck on your upcoming trip. We don't go out again until September, but have many fond memories of last week for now.

Archived