Crazy Question

I will be going on the Oasis this Saturday and unfortunately I have to work while I am on the ship. I need to bring a printer with me, however I can't get an answer from RCCL whether they allow them onboard. Anyone have any experience with this?

Can't answer your question, however, I have a comment. A person works for themself, and the benefit of themself, to pay their bills, supply for their family, and live comfortable. However, a person does not or should not work for the benefit of a company. A company is not human, does not need a vacation, and someone, someday, will simply tell you your services are not needed and not really care.

Are you going to get paid for this extra? Will you get another vacation? will the company reimburse you for your time lost?

Most people will answer this post as that you have no choice, you job depends on it. Reality is, life is short, and your vacation is a benefit given to you, and therefor should be used exactly as such.

I can't see any reason why a printer wouldn't be allowed. The connection is nothing like you're probably used to at home and definitely not what you're used to at work!

If you're bringing a laptop for your printer, there shouldn't be a problem. If you're using the ship's computers, they have printers...somewhere!

Out of curiosity, why do you need a printer? I understand the need to keep up with work, but what will you be doing with the print-outs? Is it something you'll have to send out via snail-mail, while you're still on the cruise?

(Again, just curious. Not your business is an acceptable answer.)

I will be going on the Oasis this Saturday and unfortunately I have to work while I am on the ship. I need to bring a printer with me, however I can't get an answer from RCCL whether they allow them onboard. Anyone have any experience with this?

This is directly from the RCCL website. Lap top computers as well as printers are not on the list of banned items. As long as it doesn't present a fire hazard I can't believe they wouldn't let you bring it on board. It's always up to security whether they will allow something or not; however, as long as it's small and compact - I wouldn't worry.

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors with blade length 4 inches or more.

(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

Out of curiosity, why do you need a printer? I understand the need to keep up with work, but what will you be doing with the print-outs? Is it something you'll have to send out via snail-mail, while you're still on the cruise?

(Again, just curious. Not your business is an acceptable answer.)

I had the same curiosity.

Once you print out "hard copies" is the OP then putting them in the outgoing mail?

Personally, if it was me, I would print everything to a ".PDF file" or whatever, then when I got back, I would print that / those files out from a decent printer.

If you do not actually need the piece of paper in hand during the cruise, you could just "print" to a pdf, store the files on your laptop and then print hard copies when you return home. If you do not already have Adobe Standard on your laptop, there are many free software options that provide this feature. May not apply to your situation but just wanted to be sure you are aware of this option... Have a Great Cruise!

For your own sanity, please inform your company of the costs associated with "working" while on board. Let them know that you will be expensing the cost of the internet connection time as well as phone expenses. The connection is very slow and your phone bill will get dinged big time.

For your own sanity, please inform your company of the costs associated with "working" while on board. Let them know that you will be expensing the cost of the internet connection time as well as phone expenses. The connection is very slow and your phone bill will get dinged big time.

I think they already did as the OP stated he has his own business and works for himself!

Then I would at least bill it to my client(s) :D

I agree 100%.

I just had to make that comment as one of my pet peeves on this board is people who don't read the comments already posted before responding. (hey, think there was a thread about that not too long ago :eek:. . .)

I thought that the newer ships have a business center for printing and faxing things?? Am I wrong? Never had to use one but I thought I remembered reading that .

Thank you everyone for your help and comments. I think I will risk bringing it on board. Its a small compact all in one that only cost me $50 so hopefully it will make it on. For all the people that are curious, I do have my own business and it would make my life so easier to be able to print out orders then have to keep a log of everything and print everything out when I get home. It will also cut down my work time while I'm on vacation. Sometimes in life there are sacrafices you must make to get to enjoy the things you would like to do. I LOVE to travel, however, I have to spend an hour of my day working to keep up with everything. Its the price I pay.

Thanks again for everyone's help! :D

For those who are appalled at the thought of "working while on a cruise"...

Who among us wouldn't literally jump at the chance to take a cruise while maintaining virtually the same amount of income for the entire time we were gone, in exchange for only one hour of that cruise day?

Where do I sign up for that deal!?

Theron

If I was working for any other company than my own company I would completely agree. There is no way around it when you work for yourself! :D

I can empathize. My husband sometimes has to work while on vacation. Usually, it is just to deal with unexpected situations that come up. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you everyone for your help and comments. I think I will risk bringing it on board. Its a small compact all in one that only cost me $50 so hopefully it will make it on. For all the people that are curious, I do have my own business and it would make my life so easier to be able to print out orders then have to keep a log of everything and print everything out when I get home. It will also cut down my work time while I'm on vacation. Sometimes in life there are sacrafices you must make to get to enjoy the things you would like to do. I LOVE to travel, however, I have to spend an hour of my day working to keep up with everything. Its the price I pay.

Thanks again for everyone's help! :D

Am I the only one confused? you talk about it being easier to print out orders (since you're taking your $50 printer).....and then you say it's easier to do it when ya get home.....hummmmmm

Something doesn't make sense here. If you don't need the hardcopies until you get home, how can it be easier to print them aboard? If you want to print as you process, you don't physically need a printer. They will be held in the print queue, and as soon as you return home, you can just plug in the printer, and they will start printing.

There must be something else going on that we don't know about.

Archived