Need assistance with hotel decision Ft Lauderdale

mcfaddensfarm

Bear with me while I explain the whole thing...(Let me explain that I am trying to keep things reasonable price-wise, while not staying in a scary hotel.)

I've been kind of wrestling with the idea of Hyatt Place North...I got it on Valuetrips for $89 for 9/30 & 10/1. I was going to get two of the Hyatt gift cards from Costco ($80 each for a $100 gift card) but I had to finish saving for final payment on my cruise first.

When I finally got my cruise paid off a couple of weeks ago, I checked with Costco and they're now out of the gift cards. :( I thought about whether I should try on Priceline for something even less expensive now that I wasn't getting my gift card deal. I know from experience that you can sometimes get a great Priceline deal on a 3* or higher.

But when I thought it through it seems like the $89 was still a good deal. Because even if I get another hotel on Priceline, Hyatt Place North has the complimentary breakfast, the complimentary shuttle from the airport AND the complimentary shuttle TO the port. (I tried to find another 3* in the area that had all three and wasn't able to.) Plus as others have mentioned on these boards, the Hyatt Place North is close to shops if we want to get any supplies for the cruise.

So help me with this...am I think this through correctly? Do you think I could get a better deal on Priceline even though we'd probably have to pay for shuttles or breakfast? It may sound silly to think of such little things, but for someone who has really scrimped & saved to go on this cruise those things matter. Thanks!

Go with the original plan for $89. Remember you need to add taxes and fees on that rate. It's a well proven hotel many times recommended here. With all the amenities, you can't do much better if you want to be near restaurants, stores etc.

Check hotwire and travelzoo too.

believeme, we know how difficult it is to plan, pay, and enjoy all at the same time! IMO, I would stay at the Hyatt North as you were planning. The reviews are great, the price is well off the hotel site rate, and plenty of stores/restaurants PLUS the shuttles. Keep it and enjoy the days before your cruise. Everything will now be set!

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record promoting Hyatt Summerfield Suites-FLL South. I should get a commission for my work.

They're running a promotion until August 6 that you get 50% off your second night. All rooms have full kitchens, sofa sleepers and the suites have two bathrooms. The discount is averaged out over both nights so for the nights of 9/30 and 10/1 Im getting a rate of $74.25 for a studio and $81.75 for a one bedroom suite with two bathrooms. The two bedroom/two bath suite is $111.75. Those rates are prepaid and include full breakfast, evening reception Mon-Thurs, free internet, free airport shuttle and free parking up to seven days.

http://fortlauderdaleairportsouth.summerfieldsuites.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/summerfield/offers.jsp

Additional Charges:

6.00% tax

5.500 Percent occupancy tax

spacer.gif

Rate Description:

50 percent Off 2nd Night: Full Prepay: No Refunds No Changes: Discount is Reflected in Total Purchase Price: Book Dates: August 2, 2010-August 6, 2010 Stay Dates: September 1, 2010-October 11, 2010 - Total Stay Rate Reflects 50percent Savings on 2nd Night. - No Additional Discounts Will Be Given. - Any Reduction in Nights or Date Changes Will Result in Forfeit of the Payment For the Nights No Longer Confirmed. - 2 Night Minimum / 3 Night Maximum Length of Stay Required spacer.gif

Cancellation Policy:

Cancel By 4 Pm Day of Arrival

Deposit Policy:

Deposit Required By August 3, 2010. Deposit By Credit Card Required. 2 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card.

Thanks for helping me through this everyone. I really appreciate it.

Music City, I am a little intrigued about the Summerfield Suites. The only thing with that is we're not just staying overnight. We have a whole full day between the time we arrive & the time our cruise leaves. Will there be much to do in the area of that hotel? We've never been to Ft. Lauderdale and my 18 yo son wants to "explore" the area.

We'll most likely stay at Hyatt Place, unless I find out that the Summerfield Suites are worth staying the further distance.

Thanks again!

Music City, I am a little intrigued about the Summerfield Suites. The only thing with that is we're not just staying overnight. We have a whole full day between the time we arrive & the time our cruise leaves. Will there be much to do in the area of that hotel? We've never been to Ft. Lauderdale and my 18 yo son wants to "explore" the area.

We'll most likely stay at Hyatt Place, unless I find out that the Summerfield Suites are worth staying the further distance.

Thanks again!

There isn't much around Hyatt Place north for an 18 yo to "explore" but it is a quick and inexpensive bus or trolley ride to the beach from there.

There isn't much around Hyatt Place north for an 18 yo to "explore" but it is a quick and inexpensive bus or trolley ride to the beach from there.

I should probably explain better...I don't mean he's going to go off on his own & party it up or anything. In the past the two of us have just found somewhere good to have lunch/dinner, explored shops (in Miami we explored Bayside Marketplace) and maybe tried something interesting in the area (in Miami we went to the museum to see the Titanic exhibit.) Since he's older now and probably wants to do something a little more "exciting", I was thinking of maybe trying one of the airboat Everglades tours. He's pretty laid back though and goes with the flow.

I should probably explain better...I don't mean he's going to go off on his own & party it up or anything. In the past the two of us have just found somewhere good to have lunch/dinner, explored shops (in Miami we explored Bayside Marketplace) and maybe tried something interesting in the area (in Miami we went to the museum to see the Titanic exhibit.) Since he's older now and probably wants to do something a little more "exciting", I was thinking of maybe trying one of the airboat Everglades tours. He's pretty laid back though and goes with the flow.

The only thing you and your son are going to find worth exploring near Hyatt Place north is local restaurants and chain restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, and Ross Dress for Less. No museums or attractions, but you can walk to the water taxi (about 8-10 blocks) or take the bus or trolley to the beach where there are restaurants, beach stores, and the Bonnet House museum. The water taxi also goes up the river where you can get off and walk around Las Olas Blvd (more of an adult place though).

Near Summerfield Suites you can walk to chain restaurants, movies, Dave & Busters, Barnes & Noble, Kmart, and lots of discount stores. Boomers is about a mile away and has roller coaster, go carts, arcade, mini golf.

The only thing you and your son are going to find worth exploring near Hyatt Place north is local restaurants and chain restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores, and Ross Dress for Less. No museums or attractions, but you can walk to the water taxi (about 8-10 blocks) or take the bus or trolley to the beach where there are restaurants, beach stores, and the Bonnet House museum. The water taxi also goes up the river where you can get off and walk around Las Olas Blvd (more of an adult place though).

Near Summerfield Suites you can walk to chain restaurants, movies, Dave & Busters, Barnes & Noble, Kmart, and lots of discount stores. Boomers is about a mile away and has roller coaster, go carts, arcade, mini golf.

The amusement park with a wooden rollercoaster is adjacent to Hyatt Place-FLL South and the Summerfield Suites-FLL Souith and looks a lot closer than a mile. I've always driven by it on I-95, but never really knew what kind of park it was.

Thanks again!

You confused me when you listed two dates in your post. The Hyatt Place-South and the Summerfield Suites are across a driveway from each other, so I would go with whichever one you can get the best rate. Both are almost brand new and still building their business, so I would call them direct, tell them you need day rooms and see if they would cut you a deal on the rate. My guess is they (especially the Summerfield Suites) would probably work with you.

When you say "a whole full day" what does that mean? Does that mean you are arriving the morning of the cruise?

You confused me when you listed two dates in your post. The Hyatt Place-South and the Summerfield Suites are across a driveway from each other, so I would go with whichever one you can get the best rate. Both are almost brand new and still building their business, so I would call them direct, tell them you need day rooms and see if they would cut you a deal on the rate. My guess is they (especially the Summerfield Suites) would probably work with you.

My apologies...I think I confused you even worse, lol! In my bad wording, I was trying to explain that we're not staying just ONE night, we're staying TWO nights. In otherwords, not just arriving late one night & leaving for our cruise the next morning. We are going to be in FLL from Thursday night through Saturday morning. Sometimes when I try to explain things I just make it worse, ha ha.:o

Oh and I did also find out that Hyatt Place North is ALSO offering the 2nd night half off deal, which ends up being cheaper than even the Valuetrips rate I had booked originally. So depending on what we decide, we'll get a good deal either way, it sounds like. :)

The amusement park with a wooden rollercoaster is adjacent to Hyatt Place-FLL South and the Summerfield Suites-FLL Souith and looks a lot closer than a mile. I've always driven by it on I-95, but never really knew what kind of park it was.

It is closer than a mile if you could walk through an obstacle course, but to get to it you have to walk/drive around the area going east, then north, then west, so it is .89 miles.

Oh and I did also find out that Hyatt Place North is ALSO offering the 2nd night half off deal, which ends up being cheaper than even the Valuetrips rate I had booked originally. So depending on what we decide, we'll get a good deal either way, it sounds like. :)

I'm getting a rate of $81.75 for the Hyatt Place North for their standard room while a studio at Summerfield Suites with full kitchen and sofa sleeper is $74.25. The 1 bedroom/2 bath suite with full kitchen and sofa sleeper on the same dates is $81.75. That choice would be a no-brainer for me.

Be sure to use LTO406 in the "Offer Code:" box.

Archived